Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basket Drawers

Posted by localeater (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 20:29

OK, I garden a lot. I try to grow all the vegetables we will need over the winter, I fail in entirety, but I do try. I get a good harvest of potatoes, garlic, onions, shallots and would really like a set of 12" basket drawers in my island for their storage. I am talking short term storage of a pound or two more than that stays in the root cellar.
Do you have baskets, do you love them, do you hate them, why?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basket Drawers

I don't have them, I do like the look of them, but I also like the wire front drawers that were designed for the pantry of the "This Old House" remodel of the Bedford house. They are very pretty, and there's less empty space. You can also use the drawers for other things if you find you need less root veg storage in summer, for example. I think it's fantastic that you garden so well.

o

I find the rattan baskets expensive and incredibly difficult to clean.. the onion skin bits etc.. are impossible to clean.. I much prefer the wire front ventilated drawers..

o

I wanted but nuked for same reasons that lalitha mentioned. I do like eam's idea from this old house. I ended up with a 2 tier wire basket on the counter as out of site equals forgotten for me. The other day a tomato imploded and everything was coated in sticky tomato juice. Just wiped up the mess and it was gone. The basket would have been toast!

o

Great input. I didn't realize they wasted space. I guess I should have since where I could get three(or four) drawers I was only getting two baskets. Maybe I'll just forget about the baskets. I was thinking I wanted to keep onions/potatoes/garlic in the island but maybe I will just leave them in the pantry. It is cooler and darker and so technically better for them anyway.
Thanks gardenweb!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here