Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retrofit Old open ceiling vent with range hood

Posted by pixjohn (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 20:29

I have been trying to research retrofit installs but come up empty. Its an old 1933 open ceiling vent that I want to install a range hood ventilation system.

i am in a rental and the landlord says its up to me to install my own range hood. Its not an ideal install area, I have to put the range hood above a pot rack, its a small space but luckly I have an open ceiling vent I can tap into . I would like to do as little damage to the old plaster with out damaging anything else (see pictures)

I was thinking of mounting the hood and running duct to the opening and sealing it with some type of caulking to seal any gaps?

John

This post was edited by pixjohn on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 20:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retrofit Old open ceiling vent with range hood

Often these were ripped off at the roof and sealed over, then sealed off in the kitchen ... you never know until you get in the attic and look.

"I was thinking of mounting the hood and running duct to the opening and sealing it with some type of calking to seal any gaps? "

Really BAD idea ... you need an exhaust vent that goes all the way out to the exterior of the house, with all the joints sealed with metal tape.

Your plan would exhaust wet, greasy air into the attic.

I have seen them nicely retrofitted, but they installed the fan at the top of the hood area and a proper vent pipe.

o

I am on the first floor of a 2 story building. I asked the landlord if she would have the vent inspected with no response. The city inspector could care less when I asked them about the requirements. I need to do something since my kitchen and living room fill with smoke and the smoke alarms go off every week. The best I can do is test with a smoking gun close to the opening to see if it draws up smoke.

assuming the vent is open, what is the best way to tie into the existing vent.

o

First: Look at the roof over your kitchen area and see if there is a vent cap over that area.

If there is a cap, you have some possibility of having a clear exhaust route.

Buy, borrow, or rent an "inspection camera" and look up there to see what is there. they are the same fiberoptic camera style used in medicine, but for looking inside soffits and attics.

You should see a clear tube or square channel, with some light coming in at the top.

If you do not see a vent going all the way up and out, do NOT vent your kitchen inside the building.

Here is a link that might be useful: inspection camera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here