Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

What do you think of this fabric for a roman shade?

redroze
14 years ago

I saw this fabric in a magazine and just loved it. Do you think it would work as a roman shade for above our kitchen sink? Our drapes are more of a warm neutral, whereas this fabric is a pale grey.

I know we have a pseudo-balance thing going on with the window on the left, and our tall glass cab on the right. Do you think a roman shade would disrupt that symmetry?

The fabric:

Our kitchen:

Our drapes:

Comments (35)

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And while we're at it...what do you think of this antique tray? We're looking for something to hang above our cooktop as a feature piece. I kinda liked the shape since it's somewhat oval, somewhat rectangular with the sharp corners. And the rosewood handles are neat as they add a dark touch.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

It looks like perfection. As the article says, the dash of softness helps make the room. The inspiration photo has a self fabric valance that might compete with the wood valance you already have.

If you are thinking the opaque fabric will make the window solid and off balance from the glass, it might. But anything you put there would change the balance. You might have to do a mock up just to see and bring the sample home to make sure it works.

• steff_1
    14 years ago

A totally unexpected touch, also perfection. Picks up the pattern of the chair fabric and the future roman shade.

• fin1
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. Could you tell me about your stools? I have been looking for something like that.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

A good and a bad: I love the shade. Not so crazy about the tray above the cooktop. Do you mean on the backsplash or above the hood? I am afraid it would stick out too far from the wall in the backsplash, and is the wrong shape above the hood. JMO :-)

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Steff - You've confirmed my fears that it will disrupt the balance. Maybe I can hold a throw or piece of fabric by the window and see what that would look like?

Fin1 - Thank you. The stools are from Urban Barn and were a steal at $199, but they're only available in Canada I think. You can find more photos on my blog: Redroze's Renos

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your honest opinion Rhome! I was thinking for above the cooktop similar to this look:

• plllog
    14 years ago

The tray is nice, but I think the one in the inspiration picture has more oomph. I think you need something bigger, shinier and with more definition--and no handles. An old mirror might work better.

As to the roman shades, I don't think it'll put you out of balance--the eye expects a shade in a window. This is especially true if you can raise it into the valance (I don't remember if there are lights up there in the way or not). Do get a swatch, however, because the fabric might be too gray/green in person. And unless you can sew with a micrometer, do get it done by the snootiest pro you can find. Even using ring tape I'd hesitate to make a roman out of that stripe myself, and I'm pretty good at this stuff. Just a little bit off and it'll show. Also, check the size of the repeat. Part of what looks so good in the magazine is the way the exact width of the stripes fits in.

Did I mention--that fabric is gorgeous.

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plllog...very good points. I will get a swatch of it. I also thought about the repeats and ensuring the size worked. I see what you mean about the tray. I also thought about an antiqued mirror, the kind that sort of distorts the image so you can barely see a reflection in it. On with the hunt...you'll probably pass out when I tell you how much it is. It's an antique tray from the 1920s...and is $1500, no joke. I considered talking it down to maybe $500 but I think the dealer would consider it an insult.

The fabric by the way, is Victoria Hagan Textiles. The pattern is Lovely Louise (what a charming little name) and colour is Air.

Did I mention how much I love this forum?? Instead online opinions at your fingertips.

• plllog
    14 years ago

You're right! That price is something!! Good luck on the mirror hunt! I have an antique armoire with a flyblown mirror which I love.

Thanks for the info on the fabric. Keep us posted!

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

love the tray. i didn't read through the above responses so don't know if it's already been mentioned, but i like the idea of the shade. BUT i would maybe get rid of the wooden valance and hang it higher; to align with the top of the window. i think that would balance it much better than if it were hung at the top of the inside of the window. beautiful fabric!

• kateskouros
    14 years ago

love the tray. i didn't read through the above responses so don't know if it's already been mentioned, but i like the idea of the shade. BUT i would maybe get rid of the wooden valance and hang it higher; to align with the top of the window. i think that would balance it much better than if it were hung at the top of the inside of the window. beautiful fabric!

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I don't think you need glass to balance the glass...I think the deeper color and different texture (even though it's just a bit) will give the window the mass it needs to balance the taller, narrower hutch...and if it's partly open, it will have the 2 different colors/textures that will do the same thing.

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I too think the color is too pale. It is a lovely fabric, but it barely shows color and with the white cabinets and dark counters it would fade into the background and not give the effect you want. I do think roman blinds is the way to go though.

Beautiful kitchen. I wouldn't go with the antique tray though or a mirror. I don't know how you cook but if it were in my kitchen I would be wiping splatters off of it all the time. What I would do is tile that space with ceramic tile mural.

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Another vote for neither.

If you are going to put something on the window to soften it, I would personally go with a sheer (white on white perhaps).

To get a similar "feel" as the antique tray, A transferware platter would also work.

I think maybe an old silver (oversized) trophy or pitcher to hold your spoons and such would be equally unexpected.

Lovely, lovely kitchen. :)

• Fori
    14 years ago

I like the fabric. I like the tray, but maybe not there, and I'd sure hate keeping it polished. I think I'd go with a ceramic platter of sorts also.

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ohmigosh...antique brown transferware. What a fabulous idea! I've always loved seeing it in photos. Do you think it would match the style of my kitchen? You're right that cleaning the platter of grease splatter would be a PITA. Some type of ceramic platter would make so much more sense.

{{!gwi}}

I really really love the silver antique pitcher idea. Like, LOVE it. Maybe to replace my current Provence ceramic canister for the cooking utensils? Or just as an accent could work too.

It looks like there's a division between those who love the fabric and those who don't. I'll try to just get a sample of it. The white sheers would certainly look lovely, but I wanted something distinct there with a pattern.

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Brown transferware is EXACTLY what I had in mind. I think that would look great.

I would replace the ceramic canister with the cooking utensils (it is a bit undersized, non?)

re: window shades--are you planning to use it to soften the window, or is it the function?

When I said sheer, I was thinking maybe something with a subtle pattern (I'm not sure it would work in your space, but attached is my favorite, and the picture is terrible (in hand, it is closer to a white on white) so you have to trust me when I say that it is stunning):

Here is a link that might be useful: tree of life voille

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rubyfig, I was really loving the brown transferware idea. Like, loving it. I liked the sweet French country toile feel of the transferware, which was somehow made more masculine by the brown colour which also gave it a sepia, vintage vibe. I like how the base was white which relates to the white cabinet and white backsplash, whereas the brown ties into our floors and island. But...it will be too hard to find a large enough platter. Around a 30" x 18" size would work best, whereas the largest platters I've seen are about 16" wide at most.

Darn, this one on Ebay would have been perfect. Sigh.

I see what you mean about the fabric. I was kind of thinking that the grey fabric above would achieve that type of look, since it's a really pale grey, almost white. I have a feeling you get my taste...=)

• plllog
    14 years ago

That plate is beautiful. I'd buy it anyway ;)

But I don't think the brown is the way to go behind the cooktop. In reflective light (which is any solid surface), white, black and true gray are all one color, with differing value. So you have this amazing monochromatic design where the big color variation is some cream instead of white dishes, and those tiny shots of color on the shelf.

I'm totally with the silver pitcher, for the way it looks now, but it will probably compete with anything you hang on the backsplash. For that, your white crock is probably better.

And for what you have, you need something in the same monochrome as the rest of the kitchen, or else something really intense and popsome. Hot pink would be okay. I think the flyblown mirror, or a bigger silver tray (maybe an old traytable top?) would be ideal. The gray tones of the silver is about halfway between the white and black, and the shininess adds bling to a very matte surface.

Keep looking!! You'll know the right thing when you find it.

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Red, I think plllog nailed it. Either stay with what you've started - which is a monochromatic colour scheme - or do something with pop. As I see your kitchen, it's a great backdrop for you to now inject some of your personality - be it whismy, fun, soft, modern, etc. As many have commented, as it stands, it is very soothing and calming; now, whatever elements you add could potentially take it in a diffrent - and very interesting - direction. I would definitely go with a bigger urn too, as ruby suggested.

In one of your original posts way back when, you (or another poster) had some neat photos with wire "art"; one was also a very modern clock, if I recall. I like those both better than the tray you're contemplating, although I do like the tray in your inspiration pic.

BTW, I don't care how old that tray is - that price is a rip off! Granted I am sure it must be autheticated, signed, whatever, to be priced so high, but then do you want to use something like that behind your backsplash? Do you ever go to auctions? There are many every wknd (north, west and east of Toronto), and I'm hooked. We bought a beautiful antique china cabinet and sideboard for our dining room - both gorgeous pieces, and for both, we paid about 2/3 of what your dealer wants for that tray. I have also found some great accent pieces for the kitchen, including an old wooden fruit crate, a vintage step stool and some great glass. I can guarantee you that you could find something quite unique for a fraction of the cost of what you will pay in the city. Guess where those dealers are buying their pieces? :-)

I'm with plllog - keep looking.

Eliz

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yowzers Plllog and Eliz, you GOT ME. You really got me. Bang on. I just told DH and he was thinking along the same lines, though he couldn't articulate it nearly as well as both of you (he is a guy, after all.) Makes perfect sense.

We could do a silver urn like Ruby suggested, but I agree to make sure it doesn't compete with what we hang. I could even put some other stuff in there and put it on the island. Wildflowers in there would be gorgeous...a la Boche (check out her fab kitchen in the blog).

One thing we had toyed with is doing a non-permanent thing where we could switch out what is hanging there. We'd have to clean whatever's there anyway. So be it a hot pink something-something, or silver, or a plate, what fun would it be to change it up?? No idea how we'd achieve that but I'm sure DH can make it happen. He always does.

Plllog, don't be surprised if that Ebay listing is taken by a certain Redroze. ;-) I think it was $145 US.

Eliz, the tray is from an antique place in Yorkville so no surprise on the exorbitant pricing. The antique shop just beside it was much more reasonably priced but their platters were too small. I've never been to an auction but had always considered it. Maybe I'll check it out one day!! Of Things Past is a favourite haunt but we've never ended up purchasing anything. Well actually, I've gotten some creamers and saucers...and a tray for upstairs.

Great tips you guys!!!

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, and just another tiny favour Eliz, Plllog, and any other kind souls that wander in here. What are your thoughts on the fabric for the roman shade? I wouldn't do the valance or hide it behind our cabinet valance...but just wanted some thoughts on the fabric and colour. Thanks!

• plllog
    14 years ago

YES!!!! That's what your kitchen needs!!!!! Feverfew in a silver urn on the island.

I already chimed in on the Air roman shade. Don't want to make it :) Get a swatch and make sure about the size of the stripes. Given that it won't pull up into the valence, however, also check the weight. It's hard to tell from the picture. Line it with something very soft and light so that it folds flat instead of billowy. Billowy wouldn't go with the clean, spare lines of the room. The one in the picture isn't billowy, but for magazines they do things like pin them up so that the stripes line up perfectly. That might not even be a proper shade. It might be all pins and glue. But if the color (white) and size are right, I think it'll look lovely. I also agree with the poster above who said a white on white sheer would look great. In fact, maybe better. But that stripe is one gorgeous fabric.

• mcraney
    14 years ago

I love the fabric. I think it would be wonderful in your kitchen. What about purchasing half a yard or so of the fabric and drape it over a tension rod in your window to help you decide if it is right for you? If you decide it isn't what your really want, you could make a pillow out of the fabric.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

redoze... your kitchen is so elegant and beautiful. Now, I'll preface this by saying that I know NOTHING about antique type things but had this idea anway. If you love the transferware (which I never knew about till this morning to show my ignorance) but can't find one large enough, what if you were to do a display of smaller ones? Too busy maybe? Like I said, just an idea that may be a rotten one. Anyway, you also mentioned a "pop" of color if you don't go monochromatic so I found these on ebay. Couldn't imbed them so here's a link.

I guess the grouping notion could work with whatever you choose if it makes sense to you.
    Either way, your kitchen and taste are stunning.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay transferware

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Hi Redroze,
    I think the fabric is beautiful. I instantly thought how well the soft pattern goes with your chairs. However, I agree you really need to see it in person. You know, with the Bianco Antico it is easy to slip into the grey colors and I don't know if that is what you want. I'm still struggling with this color decision for the walls--at least it's not holding up any progress! (Right now I have Pismo Dunes on the sample wall).

While reading the above comments I was shocked at the idea of removing any part of your new cabinets (the wooden valance) but then I went back and looked at the photo again. If you did remove the wooden valance, you could have your curtain go all the way up to the ceiling for the look of a bigger window. You have the crown molding in the room which ties that cabinet on the left to the window very nicely. The crown also joins all the cabinets, so maybe this is something to consider.

I love the idea of adding more sparkle to the room. This granite begs for it. I have a tall sparkly crystal vase on my island right now (yes in the unfinished kitchen) with dark purple hydrangeas and sweet peas! I am planning on a small silver tray next to the range to rest my oils on when cooking....

Just out of curiousity--do you dream about your "space" too? My DH laughs when I tell him I do.

• rosie
    14 years ago

It's likely been mentioned already, but any change in balance could be adjusted with some fiddling with the display in the glass cabinet.

I like your current musings and also love the way your kitchen is continuing to evolve. This is fun to watch, but do definitely accessorize with things you love.

BTW, that late Victorian tray is a style that comes up pretty often on eBay. Nature without all the fuss and sentiment so common back then. I missed buying one that had two birds quarreling over an insect and have been regretting it since.

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plllog - White, non-billowy fabric. Check. I googled Feverfew - what a lovely flower!

McRaney - Great idea. I need to find out if they even offer it in Canada first.

Remodelfla - Something about your post reminds me of my DH when he suggests design things! He says "What if we did this colour...this could be a rotten idea, mind you." LOL. The grouping of plates is a neat idea that I've seen work well on walls. I'll keep my options open! Either way, I'll have to incorporate brown transferware somehow into my life since I'm hooked on looking at it (thanks to Rubyfig!). You are so sweet with your comments, thank you.

Beekeeperswife - We can't remove the valance because there's a pipe thingy that goes down. That's why we boxed it out and put the valance; to hide the pipe. I know what you mean about the greys. Just today I got a twinge of "Maybe I should have done a grey sofa instead of a beige neutral one". Same thing with the kitchen chairs and curtains. But then I'd worry about it being too cool, too chic, unapproachable, uncozy. I'm 100% happy with the paint choice though. A warm grey would work, but a cool grey...not for a kitchen IMHO. For a dining room or bedroom? Heck yeah. But for a kitchen, something warm and appetizing works best. And having silver accents just works with the neutral anyway. I know, there's something so decadent about the BA that just begs for silver anything. That vase and tray that you're describing sounds wonderful...how decadent are we? Oils on a silver tray? Just fab. No, I've never dreamt about my kitchen though. That's kind of fun that you do!

Rosie - Ooo..I'll keep on the lookout on eBay! I looked at old pics of the open shelving and the layout and objects just was terrible. So it's been fun seeing it evolve, especially with help from Gw-ers who are just as detail oriented as I!!

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

What mcraney said. Great idea! And BTW I think the fabric is very pretty and stays with your existing colour scheme quite well. With your pendants, the tray you're drawn to and this fabric, there's a real touch of "pretty" and romantic in your style that other tocuhes could really bring to life (the silver urn idea of ruby's that you like, for instance). I'm seeing somnething in this shape:

More grist for the mill...:-)
    Eliz

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Perfection Eliz. Shiny, curvy, lovely, romantic. I can put our luscious peonies in there next summer.

• mcraney
    14 years ago

You can find Victoria Hagan Fabric in Canada at Primavera Interior Furnishings-160 Pears Avenue, Toronto, ON Canada M5R 3P8. Telephone: 416 921 3334.

There are about 3 more fabric designs in gray, but the one you like is the nicest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victoria Hagan Home

• redroze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you McRaney! I've heard of Primavera so I'll get in touch with them.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Redroze, I don't know if you've read the Color Musings topic, which I started because I love the beauty of your kitchen so much, but have gone in such a different direction.

I realized during that discussion that I used to wear your kitchen! (Black, white and silver.)

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Redroze--Any decisions?