Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Survey: what color grout should I use on my back splash? pictures

enduring
12 years ago

One herringbone back splash space done but not grouted! Another to go, about half again as big. Doing this would not be everyones cup of tea. It took about 2 hours to do 1 sqft. There were so many edges to cut. I am slow but it was fun.

Anyway, I am liking the darker lines and am thinking of using a med dark concrete gray color as grout. This is a carrara called Lansdale from The Tile Shop. It is variable in color but hardly any vaining. It is a mix of tans and grays. I like the expressiveness of the lines. What do you think, should I use a darker grout to stand out or a white grout?

Comments (9)

• Emily
    12 years ago

Your backsplash is beautiful! I wish I had been creative like that with mine! I am not sure about the grout, I think I might just do a grout that blends in. You already see the definition in the tiles due to the herringbone pattern, I don't think you need darker grout. IMO I wouldn't want to do anything to take away from the tile and the pattern.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

Without reading your comments, I first thought you should do dark grey. So, I think it is a good idea!! With the cabinet stain, ORB pulls and black counter, it might make your space look more.... vintage. Is that what you want?

BTW, that is a very beautiful BS choice. Well done.

• enduring
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, vintage was the original idea because this is a remodel of our family farm's kitchen that my in-laws for several generations have lived in. Now we have lived here for 20 years and it was time to replace the 65 year old cupboards. We have college kids and they hated to see the old stuff go so I tried to keep the spirit of the place. The counters are soapstone, the knobs are the black iron that Amerock makes. The exposed hinges match. The wood is cherry.

Thanks for both of your comments. Score 1 to 1.

Here is a link that might be useful: My intro to my remodel project

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I was hoping that was your intent...... :) I think a blending-in color would look very nice, but a dark grey would look more vintage/lived in. You can't go wrong with either choice.... they will just have different effects.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

enduring, I cannot wait to see your completed (grouted) backsplash, and completed kitchen for that matter! I just read your linked thread how did I miss that--or did I post when it first appeared and miss seeing that I did, too?? LOL). LOVE the stories about your home and the progression of your reno, and I absolutely love how your kitchen looks so far.

Have a happy night!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

enduring, how about maing a sample board with the dark grout? White is definitely out, but even with gray there are so many variables. You are working so hard on instaling this backsplsh that I would hate to see you unhappy with it when your grout it.

• enduring
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi thanks for the kind words epressler, lolauren, cat_mom, & ellendi. It has much longer than I had projected to remodel this kitchen, oh well (I am secretly starting to plan a modest remodel of my bath off the kitchen). My husband loves the almost finished new kitchen. He is so kind.

ellendi, thats a great idea, I guess I have enough practice now & so I should have no trouble setting up a sample board.

• dee850
    12 years ago

It looks fantastic already! I suspect that a light grout will reduce the impact of the pattern. The first photo you posted is probably a good proxy for how it would look with darker grout. I think the definition it would provide would be great.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I vote for a medium/dark gray. I don't see a very dark harsh gray, but definitely one with color that is not too light.
    When I look at the pic that shows some of the bs in shadow, I like the definition it has in the shadowed area more.
    You did a lot of great work making the herringbone pattern, so I'd highlight how special that is. You should be proud ;)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH