Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

pendant or recessed lighting over sink, and why?

purrus
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Yet another detail question regarding my kitchen reno. I need to decide whether there will be a pendant or recessed lights over the sink.

I'm really not sure which to choose or why. What did you all do, and why? Do you like what you did?

Here's a picture of that side of the kitchen. We are enlarging the footprint but it still isn't what I would call a huge space.

Comments (20)

• huango
    9 years ago

More light = Always very good!
    3 options:
    1. 1 can light
    2. 1 pendant light
    3. 2 sconces on the sides of the upper cabinets

not what you asked for, but:
    --> did i miss your whole layout?

I would move the DW to the Right side of the sink, but I can't tell what's there.

The space between the range and sink = top prep space.
    I wouldn't want someone going into the DW or opening the door when i'm in that area trying to cook.

Amanda

• meddam
    9 years ago

I did a recessed over the sink on its own switch. I like to just have that one light on late at night.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I did a recessed light over my sink. My ceilings are 12 feet. I get *no* light on the sink. I wish I had opted for a pendant.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I'm going with recessed over the sink. My kitchen isn't huge and I will have three pendants over the island. Adding another would be too much, plus I don't want a fixture blocking the window.

I'm also having under cabinet lighting which will light the workspace near the sink. And my upper cabs flanking the sink will have lighted glass at the top.

• Ellen1234
    9 years ago

I have a 60" counter height boxed out window which is pretty high, so I went with 2 recessed cans over the sink area (I couldn't center one can due to the joists above). Personally I rarely use the lights over the sink since the recessed cans in the aisle are sufficient for me to see over the sink.

• anldsmom
    9 years ago

I currently have recessed but will be switching to a surface mount. In your case, I'd think a pendant would look nice if it repeated the flare shape at the bottom like your hood does.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I have a very large 3 basin sink in front of a 6 foot wide window.

The rest of my kitchen is recessed and I wanted a visual "statement" piece so I actually have a 3 light linear chandalier above my sink on a separate switch.

At night I just have the sink light and my above cabinet lighting on and it gives the kitchen a nice cozy glow.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

My Ceiling is 9'9", I use 2@ 4" cans spaced 16" apart over the sink; the shadows are cancelled out by this arrangement and with the 50w (? par 28?) bulbs the light level is just right for a white sink in a black soapstone c-top.
    Casey

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

My ceiling is only 8', so I went with a can over the sink.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant, my ceiling is just a normal height--nothing special--which also makes me feel like recessed is likely the way to go.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Huango and others, yes, I posted my complete plans awhile ago but without measurements since my KDdoesn't allow you to take the plans with you until you've signed the contract. I am aware of the controversy surrounding the DW placement, but the only other option was the peninsula, which is immediately perpendicular to the sink (the lower cabinet to the right of the sink is a super susan). I am currently living with a DW on a peninsula that is perpendicular to the sink and I. HATE. IT. HATE! I can't stand in front of he sink while it is open because it is located too close tothe corner. The new peninsula in the new kitchen will also be small, and I was hoping to store dishes and glasses in those lower cabs, so unfortunately there isn't a place for it on the peninsula either.

I am just hoping that it won't be an issue in the new kitchen...hoping. I am also planning to do quite a bit of prep on the peninsula since it is a much bigger chunk of counter space, and also right by the fridge.

Here is the rest of my plan. I do love the feedback, but it's also too late for me to change anything, so try not to get me all freaked out. LOL!

I could tell my KD hadn't encountered any other clients who lurked and posted on GW as much as I have for the past two years. hahaha! Especially my insistence on lower drawers as opposed to ROTs.

Fridge wall across from sink wall :

peninsula, perpendicular to sink onthe right

overhead view

• michellemarie
    9 years ago

I have a beautiful pendant over my sink. I love it. Because the light is closer to the sink, it is great for when I am up washing dishes at night.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Hmm, my ceilings are 8 foot as well but my chandelier still looks great.

I guess I can't understand how having a normal ceiling would preclude having a pendant.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

How tall are you, Gem? I'm 5'10" and would not want a pendant dangling over my head while at the sink. Plus, I already have an island hood over the peninsula and a chandelier in the attached dining area. I felt like one more thing dangling from the ceiling would look cluttered.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I'm 5'4" as is my husband. I guess I could see that if you were tall.

Everyone in my family and my husbands family is short so I tend to forget about "tall people" issues. LOL

• DeeV78
    9 years ago

I decided to do a pendent above the sink. It matches the pendent lighting above my island. I too am short (5'0") so having something that came down from the ceiling looked nicer from my point of view. My husband is 5'10, and the pendant light above the sink might be in his way, but he never does dishes so it doesn't matter much :)

I don't plan on having any window treatments on the window above the sink since it looks out onto our private backyard. So having the pendent above it gave it some interest, in my opinion at least.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I'm 5'-10" and our fixture does not bump me in the head.
    Bottom of fixture is 31" above the counter, and the sloped ceiling at the mount point is only about 7'-6", so you should be fine with an 8" ceiling.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have a similar corner sink setup in the other house, ctycdm, and do have a lighted pot rack over that one. In that case, it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe because the sink is more forward than it would be on a straight run?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I have a pendant that matches the island lights. I prefer bringing the source of light closer to where I am working and I like the look of the pendants...adds jewelry to the room.