Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger25

Hickory Flooring

ginger25
9 years ago

If anyone has hickory wood flooring (stained) in their kitchen, would you please post a photo? Tell me the stain and the width of the wood. I have fallen in love with some samples I've seen, but not sure how it would look in a kitchen. Thank you.

Comments (20)

• aam31
    9 years ago

Ginger this is also my flooring of choice! Looking forward to seeing pics..

• tea4all
    9 years ago

It would be my first choice too. One flooring person told me "you don't want hickory for your floor. It will dry out more than other woods and leave bigger gaps between each piece." Humph! I don't know if that is true. I just think he didn't want to work with it since it is harder than red oak.

I will look forward to any pics and info.

• Carol.33
    9 years ago

We have 4" character hickory throughout our house (with the exception of the bathrooms, mudroom, and laundry which are tile). It has the lightest stain which was available, I think it was called "Golden". Our kitchen cabinets are quarter sawn oak, the island is cream, and the granite is River White.

We like it very much!

This is a picture of just the hickory.

This post was edited by Carol.33 on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 8:43

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

Wow what a beautiful floor and kitchen!

• ginger25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful Carol.33! Thanks so much for the photos! Do you know if the stain is high or low gloss? I love it!

• phoggie
    9 years ago

I used hickory with gunstocks stain....rather like Carol's, but not so much "orange" . I love,love, love mine...it always looks wonderful with only an occasional damp mopping. I can not post pictures, but everyone who comes always comments on how beautiful the floor is.....plus it is easy on my joints, unlike tile.

• springroz
    9 years ago

My floor is hickory throughout the house. It was a closeout, cabin grade, 5" wide. It is holding up pretty well to our abuse!! We live in the country, have a wild Border Collie, a silly Poodle, and 3 cats in the house, plus all our mud, dirt, and gravel. Nobody takes off their shoes.

I sweep, then vacuum, and occasionally damp mop, although I have not found anything that does not leave a haze.

Love the floor!!

• aam31
    9 years ago

Love your color Autum, exactly the look I'm going for!

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Beautiful floors!

Carol.33: It looks like your flooring is long length, not the 1.5-7' strip flooring?? Did you have it custom milled?

I just had that priced and was a bit shocked at the price!

• Carol.33
    9 years ago

Ginger - I wouldn't call it high gloss, but it's not low gloss either. It was just the standard finish. We got it at Baird's Lumber in Canton Ohio.

ajc - no, it's just the standard character hickory, nothing special. The pieces were all sizes when it came. The smallest maybe 2 feet up to the longest of maybe 6 feet. I love all of the knots and variations in the pieces. We debated about getting the unstained hickory but there was so much variation in the color I thought it might drive me nuts. So we went with the lightest stain, I think it was called golden. This was 3/4 inch thick and ran around $5 a square foot

Springroz - love your counters and backsplash! I also have not found anything that does not leave a little haze.

Does anyone have any idea what to use to avoid the haze?

• joyce_6333
    9 years ago

We have natural hickory with no stain, and a matte finish using Glitsa. If you're not familiar with Glitsa, it's a highly rated Swedish floor finish. Have used it in our last 2 homes. Holds up extremely well.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I love hickory. The unstained reminds me of baseball bats. Baseball is life. :)

• jgopp
    9 years ago

Here is both of my kitchens I've posted on here...

One has the light colored stain, and the other a very dark stain... The light stain is 5 inch board, and the dark is 4.25 board. I haven't had a problem with gaps of unusual size or anything. Picked hickory for the current remodel because it's bulletproof in my white/dark kitchen. 3 years into that one and no problems hardly with wear. One downside is that it is a VERY hard wood. It wears out your feet if you're standing on it alone without a carpet/pad.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Thanks aam1. 2 boys and a large dog and I haven't worried about them a bit. This is our first go at wood in the kitchen and very pleased so far.

• ginger25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are beautiful floors! Thanks so much for sharing your photos!

• heidihausfrau
    9 years ago

We have hickory as well. I really like it. I do have a few dings from dropping stuff all the time, and a long scratch where the dog peels out a lot. But our last floor (also wood) was totally destroyed after only a few years. Dinks and scratches don't bother me anymore. Life leaves a mark!
    Oh yeah, the stain is called coffee...

• ginger25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful Heidihausfrau! Thanks so much for sharing!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Wow, hickory floors are gorgeous. I'd take any of them in my kitchen if I was doing wood flooring

• susieboomer
    6 years ago

Did any of you use the engineered hickory hardwood flooring? Anyone use the 3/8" engineered?