Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanpn

using countertop micro UNDER counter -- 3 feet rule?????

susanpn
14 years ago

OK, I know this is related to the other post about counter microwaves, but needed to make it its own....

I bought a GE Profile countertop 1.5 cu foot CONVECTION MICROWAVE to serve as both a microwave and a second oven. I was planning to install it under the island counter. Yes it's a bit low there, but we are short and it's not my first choice but it is the best choice since I really don't want something that huge on the one counter spot where it could alternatively go. It would in essence take up the entire counter there and be flush with the countertop edge. But I digress.

So, upon reading the installation instructions, it says the oven must be placed 3 feet above the floor. Hmmm. Why would that be? If it's normally going on a counter then surely it's not for venting purposes beneath the oven.....makes no sense to me. Called GE and was told "that's just the rule."

Anyone have a clue about this? Do I dare go ahead and put it below the island counter? And is there anything else that could be dangerous about that for any other reason due to the fact that it's a "countertop" model? I can't find any other type of convection/microwave -- they are either "built-in" (as in going above a wall oven) or "countertop".

Any insights greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I have run across this with both single conventional ovens and microwave ovens...that they are to be mounted at countertop height or above. With no explanation as to why this is so. The manufacturers then contradict themselves by showing the microwaves mounted in an undercounter location on their own website, or saying that the conventional oven can be mounted under corresponding cooktop XYZ. (Which means the cooktop would be mounted at about 5 feet off the floor?)

Most of the "built in" models (not all) are countertop models that come with a trim kit.

• natesgramma
    14 years ago

I have my micro on a shelf in my island. The only problem I ever have is when I open the door, the steam often hits me in the face and it's really hot. Now I'm careful so it's not a problem for me but possibly it's a safety issue and that's why it's recommended at 3 feet. This is just a wild guess.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

I would guess that it's to protect themselves from claims if someone found that reaching into it that low was not easy and they spilled something hot or couldn't get a good grip and dropped a hot dish. Then there is also the issue of having a certain height so really little ones (or hungry dogs) can't get into it. My lab would love o turn the micro drawer and warming drawer into food trays, but the sides keep her out -- a swing door might not, especially if I had to turn around.

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

I'd guess that the reason is to prevent 3 year olds from cooking the cat.

• flseadog
    14 years ago

You might want to try this question over on the appliance forum. They are very knowledgeable about this type of detail over there. A while back I asked this question b/c I was considering using an GE advantium. I wanted to place it lower than GE recommended due to the drop down door that I felt would hard for me to reach over since I'm short. I have forgotten the answer from the appliance forum since I ended up not using the advantium. When I asked GE their answer was that they had not tested the oven for use in any other location or height than what they recommended and therefore could not state that it could be used safely in another placement. HTH.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

The testing thing makes the most sense. I used to be involved in patient-based clinical research and the parameters of study were sometimes quite narrow, to limit the number of variables. Then, when the new drug application was filed with the FDA and the "labeled use" was determined, the indications of the drug could be interpreted rather narrowly. Using the drug or device outside these parameters often made sense, but it could not be promoted for such.

Its probably a similar thing...it was tested on a standard height kitchen counter so it is "labeled for use" at standard kitchen counter height, when in reality, its use at other heights is not contraindicated.

I recently saw a kitchen where the OTR microwave was 60" off the floor. I think it is much more dangerous to be removing a steaming dish at eye level than below waist level, but it was mounted OTR as tested, so it was not in violation. I have also seen them on top of refrigerators: again, removing something from over the head or while standing on a stool is more dangerous,,,but it is above the 3' height--so its in an okay spot according to the specs. But not in practice.

• susanpn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THANK YOU EVERYONE!! You all make a lot of sense, that contraindicated thing especially. So annoying though.
    Well, I think I've found another solution that is going to work, instead of under the island we can put it in an upper cabinet space; will lose a bit of upper storage but it will be easier to use the micro there as it will be higher up, yet not as high as an over-the-range model. I think I will like it better there too, as I will gain another deep drawer plus a regular depth drawer in the island!
    SO it all works out in the end....I am so appreciative to you all for taking the time to respond to me. I love this website! THANKS AGAIN!!