Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Is a built-in soap dispenser worth it?

purrus
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a rather pretty light green olive oil/vinegar dispenser that I use to refill with diluted dishsoap, and another recycled glass dispenser that holds my Dr Bronner's peppermint soap for handwashing. I like how they both look, but will I regret not drilling a hole for a soap dispenser? I just read the NeverMT thread and now I'm wondering.

Thanks!

Comments (21)

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should add, I do get pretty irritated with how quickly I go through dish soap.

If you have a soap dispenser, does it dispense dish soap or hand soap?

• huango
    9 years ago

Yes, get one.
    I love mine.

did you check out Poohpup's NeverMT post?
    get it and you'll have the wonderful soap dispenser and never having to refill, well, after 2years or so.

Here is a link that might be useful: neverMT

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I got a soap dispenser and I love it. It is much neater looking and holds plenty of dish soap for me as if now. One of these days I may consider the neverMT but I always enjoyed using different scent soaps so I don't think I'll mind filling the one attached to soap dispenser. Only time will tell. Plus my sink base is smaller and not sure I want to take up that much room for a large container of soap.

• dretutz
    9 years ago

I have the Never M-T for dish soap and I would never again live without. I can bump it with my arm after cutting raw chicken and meat with no contamination. I do wash hands with it, too, after handling raw meat.

• dretutz
    9 years ago

I have the Never M-T for dish soap and I would never again live without. I can bump it with my arm after cutting raw chicken and meat with no contamination. I do wash hands with it, too, after handling raw meat.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Cut the hole. There's too much clutter on my counter, as it is. I use Dawn and water it for easy flowing. So I wind up washing hands with Dawn, too.

• Ellen1234
    9 years ago

Same here - I have an RO faucet, air switch and the soap dispenser, and don't mind the extra holes at all!

I use dish soap in mine and we also use a dab to wash hands.

I did not get the NeverMT yet, however I have just run out of dish soap and I may pull the trigger! I'm trying to figure out if I should buy 3 and get 1 free though to get a better deal -- but I only have one built in dispenser in the house! :)

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well. It looks like I'm getting a dish soap dispenser!!! And the never mt since we are costco members and I used the Kirkland brand dish soap! I am so glad I asked! I've been feeling like it's better to be minimalist with regard to the number of holes I get drilled into the quartz, but t does sound like I would regret not getting this.

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

I like having the dish soap in a bottle so I can squirt a bit where I want. Our main sink is on the perimeter and it is no problem having space for a bottle there.

Our prep sink is on the island and there I really like having the soap dispenser. We have a NeverMT and use it for hand soap since that is the main hand washing location in our kitchen. On an island it is particularly nice to keep the clutter down by not having a bottle there and the soap dispenser is always in the same spot - a bottle would tend to get moved around.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Hmm, I had ruled out the soap dispenser because I discovered that it's about a $50-75 addition to the faucet price. Plus the cost of an extra hole in a stone counter is probably that much again.

But on the other hand, we do have arguments about where the soap goes. I leave it on the counter, DH thinks it leaves a mark on the stone, so he puts it in the sink, WITH dirty dishes. If I put it under the sink, he says he can't find it.

I don't buy Costco sized dish soap, and don't intend to. A standard bottle lasts us at least 6 months.

Are there cheaper options than the ones that come with the faucets?

• poohpup
    9 years ago

Hands down my favorite thing about having a soap dispenser is being able to dispense soap with the back of my hand when my hands are covered in gunk. It's always there, easy to use and with the NeverMT, it takes forever to run out. I also have a pretty bottle with soap that floats back and forth between my main and prep sink. I like having that too when I'm doing a lot of hand washing because it is so handy to get the soap right where I want it. But if I had to choose just one, definitely would be the built in dispenser.

You can use the dispenser for either dish soap, hand soap or lotion. In my previous home I had lotion in the dispenser. Only problem with that was people kept "refilling" it with dish soap. lol

• Ellen1234
    9 years ago

Regarding cost, a soap dispenser came with the faucet I got, but I ended up buying the following dispenser, based on recommendations on GW.

http://www.amazon.com/LDR-551-P1200SS-Dispenser-Stainless/dp/B0009VJGC8/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

You may need one with a longer spout, depending on where the hole will be.

Also for me, there was no additional charge for the extra hole.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

i do not have a built in soap dispenser and i too hate touching a soap dispenser with yucky hands so i bought the simple human auto dispenser from amazon. it is so awesome that i got another for my bathroom. it is not cheap. $40 i think but it is great!

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmm. I'm still leaning toward it. More pros and cons please, and more links to the specific one you have. I will have a large 32" sink, so one with a longer spout would be great! I just don't know where to start--much better to get a recommendation from the experts on here.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Are there any automatic countertop soap dispensers like the simplehuman that are more "decorative"? I don't love the looks of the superhuman, but don't like having a regular pump bottle on the counter either. Looking for an alternative.

• Ellen1234
    9 years ago

The reason I mention the longer spout is that someone on here recently mentioned the spout not reaching far enough, based on where the hole was drilled in their counter.

I have a 33" apron front sink with about a 3/4" reveal which pushes the granite back a bit and thus the holes are a bit further back (standard from edge of granite). My spout just reaches to the very edge of the sink.

• ijensen
    9 years ago

I purchased a different one of better quality. Here is a picture of a side view showing it clears the counter nicely. Just hated the clutter of a soap bottle on my counter or window sill.

• ijensen
    9 years ago

And a front view...:)

• ijensen
    9 years ago

I did opt to not use the refill bottle and just ran a longer tube to a larger bottle of soap under the sink. Never bought any fancy kit (didn't know they were available...LOL)...just $1.20 worth of plastic tubing, shoved it over the end of the tube from my dispenser and into the soap bottle. The suction works great.

This post was edited by ijensen on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 13:53

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks, Ellen and ijensen!