Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golfergirl29

Where to put oils/vinegars with no uppers?

golfergirl29
9 years ago

I'm trying to replace the two upper cabinets with wider windows and would prefer to use lower cabinets only. I can put the spices in the top base drawer on either side of the rangetop. Where would you recommend I find a place for taller items like oils and vinegars that I need to keep nearby? Smaller base cabinets and a pullout drawer near the rangetop? I'm planning on putting the dishes in the drawer next to dishwasher, and across from the range but I'm open to all suggestions!
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Comments (6)

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

We keep our frequently used oils, soy sauce and such, and vinegars on the counter on a tray. It isn't a secret in our kitchen that cooking actually happens. Salts/Peppers/Spices are in the open too. Maybe you could make the window ledges deep.

Good luck building. It must be fun.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

I put a 15" pullout on the right of my range for oils, vinegars, and most cooking items but I still keep oils, balsamic, and utensils on the counter next to the range. Old habits...;)

• rgps
    9 years ago

I put my oil etc on the counter but I cheat. I buy costco olive oil in a big bottle I keep in the pantry and keep the oil on the counter in a snazzy bottle I bought in Italy years ago that had really expensive oil in it. Been refilling it with the costco stuff for years. I'm such a fraud.

• kitykat
    9 years ago

I do the same as rgps... olive oil in pretty bottle next to range, all other spices and condiments on turntables in the pantry. Oil is the only thing that I need 'just a smidge more'... and right now! Other necessities are brought out prior to cooking and returned to the pantry at cleanup.

Mine is a hard-working kitchen, but I am averse to clutter. I do have range side upper cabinets, but they have glass in the doors and display everyday dinnerware/glassware/serving pieces.

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

Here is where we keep our oils, vinegars and other frequently used bottled goods:

We have some overflow of less frequently used stuff (things used a few times a year) and refills in the pantry but most of the stuff goes here. It is a 12" wide cabinet with two pull out shelves. We have frameless. It would need to be a couple of inches wider to get equivalent space if you are doing framed cabinets.

The most frequently used items are in the front (e.g. olive oil and oil for stir fry) so I only have to open the door to get them. I like that these are easy to clean because they aren't too deep and we could adjust them if needed.

If you wanted to keep symmetry on your oven rangetop run, perhaps you could split the 36" across the aisle from your rangetop to use part of it for that. If you haven't planned tray/sheet storage yet, perhaps you could put that in the rest of the 36".

• golfergirl29
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great suggestions, all. thanks for sharing your insights. Cloud-swift, that's the cabinet I was thinking about. May I ask what line of frameless cabinet that is, and would you choose them again?