Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laminate? Kitchen cabinets how to repaint

Posted by rjinga (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 08 at 20:03

I am pretty sure these are laminate. They are white and I'd really like to redo them. Is there anything special to do to the surface so that paint will adhere to it?

I do not want to even attempt to remove the laminate. It would be way too much work. The surface is not damaged in any way.

Would it be reasonable to sand them down and then prime and paint. And if yes, any special kind of paint that should be used?

I will post photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laminate? Kitchen cabinets how to repaint

By laminate - do you mean Thermofoil? I just found out I have these kind of cabinets and my contractor told me they cannot be painted. But who knows - maybe he's wrong!

o

Ask on the paint forum! I know there are primers that stick to just about anything! One of them is called BIN by Zinsser. Great stuff! Highly toxic and dangerous though.

:-)

francy

o

I did it with an old vanity and countertop. I had found a thread on this or some forum that explicitly outlined how to do it. I'll search to see if I can find the specific information but I do remember cleaning first with TPC(?), and using BIN as a primer. Then I believe I just painted. For the Formica countertop. I did a base coat, blended in several colors, and just kept playing with color until I had a look that resembled granite. Didn't come out half bad actually for a first attempt.

o
info

TSP not TPC... anyway... I googled and found an article for you. Hope it's helpful

Here is a link that might be useful: painting laminate

o

I am sorry that I can't recall the poster's name but i KNOW someone here will have it to show you a kitchen that had white thermafoil cabinets and she showed how hers just came off in easy strips. She gave great details on the products she used , etc.

o

A long time ago, in my first house, I had hideous formica-like cabinets. I used BIN and then semi gloss over that. I also used picrure framing material as molding on the doors.

o

If you're still interested, it was bamaspice's awesome kitchen. I'll post the link to the FKB and she explains how she did it. FWIW, I'm attempting this with my old cabs that we removed, trying to make a portable craft station with a couple of old base cabs on casters. Mine weren't super smooth once I peeled the laminate off though. I'm wondering if they can be skim coated or something to smooth the texture. But because they are just going to be in my basement I didn't worry about it and just primed with Kilz and spray painted black. I've only done one door and one drawer so far, haven't figured out what to do about the sides and back of the cabs yet.

Good luck!
Robin

Here is a link that might be useful: bamaspice's amazing kitchen transformation!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here