Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Step It Up IKEA Tampa

The IKEA showroom in Tampa needs to pick up their game:

I thought this was a machine mark, but my wife was able to scratch it off with her fingernail. Why couldnâÂÂt an employee do the same?

Silicone seams? Seriously? Poorly fabricated silicone seams? Are you kidding me? French miter at the corner instead of offset? Whose manual is this from?

ThatâÂÂs just nasty.

Metal marks on display. 20 seconds with estone slurry would remove them.

Yeah, just goober some cheap latex at the wall. WeâÂÂll be back with a splash to cover it. Really.

I can understand if you have to measure to find a sink reveal thatâÂÂs off, but when you can see it on display, yikes.

Splotch on display.

This seam has yellowed. When you seam white, you donâÂÂt use a mixer tip. Squirt in a baggie and remove half the catalyst before mixing by hand. The seam takes longer to set up, but thereâÂÂs less catalyst to yellow the seam. Little more labor, much nicer seam.

A little magic marker and this wouldnâÂÂt look bad.

All is not lost. These are as good as they get. IâÂÂll bet theyâÂÂve got at least two different vendors. The guys with the large radius corners are automated and do nice work, the French seam in the corner guys, not so much.

If youâÂÂve got a showroom, every night is Prom night, no excuses. Your showroom will probably be visited by little âÂÂartistsâ like my grand niece, Mirai, who does specialty hand printing, the stickier and gooier the better, on all surfaces...

Comments (10)

• jgopp
    9 years ago

Eh I don't think too much about it since they are having people come through by the thousands a day. Yeah the work looks sloppy, but in reality 99% of the buyers aren't there checking out the craftsmanship of the counters. They are there to look at the cabinets for a half hour and walk out with a purchased set of cabinets. It's not like their installer of counter is going to be the fabricator for the counters in the buyers home.

I understand what you're saying about it being the chance to show off to the 9s but really most Ikea buyers won't be too concerned about this type of thing. I think this in a display is probably pretty normal since they may be ripping these things out every couple months. Why would they spend 2 grand+ on counters when they can get a company to sell them the already cut up stuff just to fit their display. Plop it in, sell some cabinets, and change it up again in another few months.

I think you've got a big case of TKO :P

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"It's not like their installer of counter is going to be the fabricator for the counters in the buyers home."

Ummâ¦yeah it is. At least if they buy the countertops from IKEA.

The problem is, I'll bet IKEA demands free displays from vendors. They can because the contract for their work is that valuable. The vendor is doing something for nothing and it shows. Neither realizes the damage they're doing to my industry.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Not too good! Next time I go to our IKEA in Austin, I'm going to ck them out. It'll be interesting to see if you just noticed them because that's what you do, or if this is how they all are.
    By the way, precious grand niece!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"...if you just noticed them because that's what you doâ¦"

In another lifetime, I was in the retail store fixture business, so yeah, this stuff drives me crazy. My wife wasn't too embarrassed this time; there weren't many people around while I took pictures.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

It just says how good you are at what you do. I wish you were in the Austin area so I could use you when I get to that stage. I see so many botched jobs on here that it scares me to trust anyone. I'm dealing w/ buckling wood floors right now after choosing the guy that someone referred to me & was the most expensive. Thinking I was getting the right person & now I'm going to have to have to redo some of it, probably to the tune of another $1000! Keep doing what you do & make people happy!! If you need a write off vacation to Austin, I'll let you know when I get to my countertops!!

• chesters_house_gw
    9 years ago

Maybe the display is fair warning about buying IKEA countertops.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I wonder if a bad seam in the store sets the bar low so that their visible seam at home looks great by comparison.

I think if most people are not comparing to "invisible" or nearly so, they will be happy if their result looks better than it does in the store. It's a way of influencing expectations.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I wonder if their marketing is that sophisticated. Rather, the more obvious conclusion would be for me that I sure don't want their fabricator, i.e. wouldn't buy the counters from IKEA.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

> think if most people are not comparing to "invisible" or nearly so, they will be happy if their result looks better than it does in the store. It's a way of influencing expectations.

Nah, there are many, many complaints about countertop installations from both this store and the one in Orlando. Don't know if they both use the same firm.

EDIT But I'd have to ask what's wrong with people who see that and then buy the counters there anyway.

This post was edited by writersblock on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 11:34

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I probably wouldn't have know how good a seam can be without this site. But, if people are shopping for countertops, they certainly might find the poor seams at Ikea off-putting compared to another retailer's display, and might not be able to say just why it was that Ikea's counters looked "cheap" (when it is the same material).

When my granite was installed, from a well recommended fabricator, the seam was very obvious, not color matched and pretty wide. Day of installation I asked him if that couldn't be done better & he said no!

Thanks to Treb and OldRyder I had the information to get him to make it better.