Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Step It Up IKEA Tampa

Posted by Trebruchet (loosedeckcannon@gmail.com) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 19:56

The IKEA showroom in Tampa needs to pick up their game:

photo IMG_1449_zps7830d060.jpg

I thought this was a machine mark, but my wife was able to scratch it off with her fingernail. Why couldn’t an employee do the same?

photo IMG_1451_zpsa567a8d7.jpg

Silicone seams? Seriously? Poorly fabricated silicone seams? Are you kidding me? French miter at the corner instead of offset? Whose manual is this from?

photo IMG_1452_zps47a05ebc.jpg

photo IMG_1453_zpsb7cf960b.jpg

That’s just nasty.

photo IMG_1454_zps047dc52e.jpg

photo IMG_1455_zpsd26d2a25.jpg

Metal marks on display. 20 seconds with estone slurry would remove them.

photo IMG_1457_zps62875789.jpg

Yeah, just goober some cheap latex at the wall. We’ll be back with a splash to cover it. Really.

photo IMG_1458_zps44bd7496.jpg

I can understand if you have to measure to find a sink reveal that’s off, but when you can see it on display, yikes.

photo IMG_1460_zps12d9971c.jpg

Splotch on display.

photo IMG_1461_zpsfc92893a.jpg

This seam has yellowed. When you seam white, you don’t use a mixer tip. Squirt in a baggie and remove half the catalyst before mixing by hand. The seam takes longer to set up, but there’s less catalyst to yellow the seam. Little more labor, much nicer seam.

photo IMG_1462_zps499e0c61.jpg

A little magic marker and this wouldn’t look bad.

photo IMG_1459_zpsabf34bab.jpg

photo IMG_1463_zpscc776182.jpg

All is not lost. These are as good as they get. I’ll bet they’ve got at least two different vendors. The guys with the large radius corners are automated and do nice work, the French seam in the corner guys, not so much.

photo IMG_1321_zps8bf6fd4e.jpg

If you’ve got a showroom, every night is Prom night, no excuses. Your showroom will probably be visited by little “artists” like my grand niece, Mirai, who does specialty hand printing, the stickier and gooier the better, on all surfaces below 30” high. Fortunately she and her kind have an exceedingly short attention span and don’t seem to mind their canvasses being wiped clean regularly.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 20:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Step It Up IKEA Tampa

Eh I don't think too much about it since they are having people come through by the thousands a day. Yeah the work looks sloppy, but in reality 99% of the buyers aren't there checking out the craftsmanship of the counters. They are there to look at the cabinets for a half hour and walk out with a purchased set of cabinets. It's not like their installer of counter is going to be the fabricator for the counters in the buyers home.

I understand what you're saying about it being the chance to show off to the 9s but really most Ikea buyers won't be too concerned about this type of thing. I think this in a display is probably pretty normal since they may be ripping these things out every couple months. Why would they spend 2 grand+ on counters when they can get a company to sell them the already cut up stuff just to fit their display. Plop it in, sell some cabinets, and change it up again in another few months.

I think you've got a big case of TKO :P

o

"It's not like their installer of counter is going to be the fabricator for the counters in the buyers home."

Umm…yeah it is. At least if they buy the countertops from IKEA.

The problem is, I'll bet IKEA demands free displays from vendors. They can because the contract for their work is that valuable. The vendor is doing something for nothing and it shows. Neither realizes the damage they're doing to my industry.

o

Not too good! Next time I go to our IKEA in Austin, I'm going to ck them out. It'll be interesting to see if you just noticed them because that's what you do, or if this is how they all are.
By the way, precious grand niece!

o

"...if you just noticed them because that's what you do…"

In another lifetime, I was in the retail store fixture business, so yeah, this stuff drives me crazy. My wife wasn't too embarrassed this time; there weren't many people around while I took pictures.

o

It just says how good you are at what you do. I wish you were in the Austin area so I could use you when I get to that stage. I see so many botched jobs on here that it scares me to trust anyone. I'm dealing w/ buckling wood floors right now after choosing the guy that someone referred to me & was the most expensive. Thinking I was getting the right person & now I'm going to have to have to redo some of it, probably to the tune of another $1000! Keep doing what you do & make people happy!! If you need a write off vacation to Austin, I'll let you know when I get to my countertops!!

o

Maybe the display is fair warning about buying IKEA countertops.

o

I wonder if a bad seam in the store sets the bar low so that their visible seam at home looks great by comparison.

I think if most people are not comparing to "invisible" or nearly so, they will be happy if their result looks better than it does in the store. It's a way of influencing expectations.

o

I wonder if their marketing is that sophisticated. Rather, the more obvious conclusion would be for me that I sure don't want their fabricator, i.e. wouldn't buy the counters from IKEA.

o

> think if most people are not comparing to "invisible" or nearly so, they will be happy if their result looks better than it does in the store. It's a way of influencing expectations.

Nah, there are many, many complaints about countertop installations from both this store and the one in Orlando. Don't know if they both use the same firm.

EDIT But I'd have to ask what's wrong with people who see that and then buy the counters there anyway.

This post was edited by writersblock on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 11:34

o

I probably wouldn't have know how good a seam can be without this site. But, if people are shopping for countertops, they certainly might find the poor seams at Ikea off-putting compared to another retailer's display, and might not be able to say just why it was that Ikea's counters looked "cheap" (when it is the same material).

When my granite was installed, from a well recommended fabricator, the seam was very obvious, not color matched and pretty wide. Day of installation I asked him if that couldn't be done better & he said no!

Thanks to Treb and OldRyder I had the information to get him to make it better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here