Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
extra cost- does this make sense?

Posted by calizzy (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 19:45

I am having new baseboards installed in my house. Originally the guy quoted me at $250. Today I bought my baseboards and showed them to him and he said that because they are 5 inch instead of 3 inch he is charging and extra $100. Does this make sense? Why would it be harder to cut a 5" board than to cut the 3" boards?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: extra cost- does this make sense?

I tried installing the really wide boards and it is harder to get the corners right and to make the joins for longer walls.

o

Well that sounds like a bargain either way. We just paid $2500 for baseboards + casing and we are not in a high $ market...

o

ok, you guys are making me feel better about it. We are having 240 linear feet. The cost is just for installation. He said he will paint them for an extra $300, do you think it's worth it, or should we try to paint them ourselves?

o

If you paint them yourselves, do it ahead of time so that you'll only have to do touchup when installed.

It's kinda a pain to paint them when they're in but not too bad in the garage on sawhorses. They'll probably need a light sanding job beforehand too.

o

Definitely do your sanding and a quality prime coat (even on pre-primed) before installation. Some people put the first coat of paint on too.

o

Ditto on painting before installation. The installation price sounds great, but you can easily save money by painting yourself.

o

Having painted a few hundred feet of wide baseboards in my garage, I would pay the extra money to get it done. It was hard work and took a lot of space in the garage to get them spaced out properly.

I do find the older I get, the more attractive it is to hire people to do the labour.

o

If you have space in your garage and enough sawhorses, painting baseboards is very easy. It's a lot less annoying than priming/painting 9-ft. textured ceilings. As me how I know. :)

Sometimes it's worth it to pay someone else to do the work. Other times, I treat myself to something I want (can be totally un-kitchen-related) with the money I save. I got an iPad with the money I saved painting my kitchen myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here