Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kayec28

Please convince me a freestanding range can look good!

kayec28
14 years ago

It's crunch time and I have to make a decision on a range. I had my heart set on a slide-in range until I went appliance shopping. Yikes! The cheapest one I've found so far is 1200.00, and judging by the ratio of slide ins to freestanding ranges available in the stores, they're just not that common around here. And because they're not that common I have no negotiating power with the salesmen--no luck with inquiring about scratch and dents, closeouts, floor models etc. Freestandings I've looked at range anywhere from 700-900 but could be as cheap as 500, which is a big difference in price. But...I'm wondering if I'll forever be sorry if I don't suck it up and shell out an additional 4-5 hundred dollars to get the slidein. Unfortunately money is tight and those few hundred dollars aren't something I can shrug off lightly. I still have to buy a fridge, dishwasher and hood. I thought about buying freestanding now and going back and putting a slidein next year when finances are back to normal, but all my research tells me that switching from freestanding to slideins can't be done without a major expense and reworking of the cabinets.

Am I overthinking this? Do most of you have freestanding ranges in your kitchen and they look just fine?

I'm so afraid of making, to borrow a phrase from Lou Holtz, "a 20 year mistake" because of shortsightedness(and short funds) now. Any advice? Any pictures of your perfectly lovely kitchen with a freestanding range? Thanks! And help!

Comments (29)

• Fori
    14 years ago

That's funny--I always thought slide-ins looked goofy!

Have you gone through the finished kitchens blog? The link should be in the READ ME FIRST post that floats around near the top page of this forum.

I think the most common setup is a freestanding range, whether it be a Roper or a La Canche. They look...NORMAL!

• donka
    14 years ago

Totally normal. I don't know that many people that have a slide in range, actually. In fact, I can't think of one off the top of my head. Couple people with induction or other cooktops, but that's about it.

• pennyr26
    14 years ago

If you currently have a free standing range in working order, why don't you keep it until finances are back in order and then replace it with a slide-in model? I have had a free standing for years and years. It always looked fine and I never questioned it. Now that I am redoing my current kitchen for the second time, I am installing a slide-in. They certainly do have a sleeker, more professional look and they also give you the option of a decorative backsplash above and behind the range. Keep what you have for now and replace it later if you really have your heart set on a slide in. Truly, free standing ranges are the norm and look fine, though.

• morgne
    14 years ago

I'll agree. A free standing range looks more "normal" than a slide in, is easier to switch out, cheaper to replace and means you don't have to buy a cabinet for below.

I think you're fine.

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

I agree too...ranges are quite normal. Your choices are pretty limited for slide ins because they are not all that popular. Go with a regular range....they look quite normal and attractive!

• kayec28
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for talking me down off the ledge. :) To answer your question, pennyr2, I have no existing range to fall back on. I'm coming from an apartment which means I'm buying *everything*. That's why the budget is so tight.

So thanks for the pep talk. Tomorrow I'll go shopping again and this time look at all the freestanding ranges I walked past the first time. Now my challenge will be to see if I can find an affordable range that has front control knobs, which is one reason I liked the slide-ins so much. Thanks again for the advice.

• arleneb
    14 years ago

I had the same issues -- I had pictured a slide in and couldn't imagine a free-standing one. But, unlike you, I didn't like the front knobs, so I went back to a slide in and LOVE it. I got an Electrolux and I love how it looks and how it works!

• bitsya
    14 years ago

(quoted from post above re slide-ins): "they also give you the option of a decorative backsplash above and behind the range"

Oops. Am I about to commit a faux pas? I have a freestanding range w/ cabinets on either side with mantel hood above, and am planning a decorative backsplash. Is this a nono with freestanding ranges?

• morton5
    14 years ago

If money is tight, you might want to check out Craig's List for a range, and replace it with a slide-in when resources allow.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

You're OK Bitsya, a decorative BS behind a freestanding range is not that unusual...it's just a little higher than one behind a slide-in range or cooktop/rangetop.

One question...I've never had a slide-in range, so I don't know...but, do you have to put a strip of countertop behind the slide-in range or does it go all the way to the back wall like a freestanding? I think I've seen them both ways on the Forum.

Also, I seem to recall on an earlier thread someone saying that with a slide-in it's important to have the range installed at template time...is this a necessity? I.e., if you plan to later put in a slide-in, is it possible?

Sorry, I don't mean to cause trouble, but I want to be sure that if Bluemoon28 plans to replace her freestanding w/a slide-in someday that she can...

• bunnicula03
    14 years ago

Bluemoon, I'm going through the same dilemma right now. I need a new stove asap. The new freestanding ranges have backs that are 12" high. With a microwave mounted over the stove it doesn't give you much exposure room for the backsplash. Plus the slide-in look is sleeker and cleaner when viewing that wall. But I don't know that I'd like all those touch controls at the front, it seems to make the burners farther back. And the price of slide-ins, yikes!

I have to decide before getting my granite countertop done, since a slide-in will need a piece of granite at the back. Are there any disadvantages to slide-ins?

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

I've been having the same talk with myself. I've planned for a slide-in for all the years I've planned this kithen. In the end, I've opted to get the slide-in range and get a less expensive D/W. I have a very small space with an open plan, and having that cleaner line is important to me. But if my space was bigger or the design different, I would have opted for the freestanding range.

As for the space behind, you can opt for either a strip of counter, or for a strip (from the manufacturer) that matches the range. My neighbor just did that so that it's easier to switch later if she wants, and because she could get away without seams.

bluemoon, what do you mean about "reworking the cabinets" if you switch? There may be a problem with the counter template if you switch, but that's all. Also, there are freestanding ranges without a backsplash part (like the GE cafe) that can be used to acheive the look, without the countertop problem.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Is there a Sears Outlet near you? They may have some floor model or scratch and dent slide-ins.

Thanks for the heads up about the GE Cafe freestanding. Gosh, that's gorgeous, though pricey.

As for now, I will keep my "retro" coiltop range until I can really decide what I want. I really want a Big Chill fridge, so I'm willing to go with a more standard electric range, though I still want convection.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I love the look of free standing. You must be thinking
    of the old stoves our grandma's had... : )

I had a piece of 1inch granite strip put in behind my
    range. My range is a slide in but it did not slide in
    enough because of building codes. There is still a 1 inch
    space where my range sticks out. With my granite it looks
    built in. Sorry no current pic.

Here are some pictures that show how lovely free standing
    can be. No worries yours will be amazing too. Free or
    slide in.

~boxerpups

{{!gwi}}

A grandma stove looking gorgeous

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• pennyr26
    14 years ago

To Bitsya-Actually, I was thinking about my own situation in terms of the free standing range and the decorative backsplash. My range had a TALL back over which hung my micro wave which was too low in the first place, so I had a teeny tiny space between the two and couldn't accommodate any decorative backsplash. By the way, my next question will be about exactly that. I will probably be able to decide on a backsplash but know I will have lots of trouble arranging the decorative portion behind the range.

• raehelen
    14 years ago

Boxerpups,

Those are gorgeous free-standing ranges, but to be realistic, bluemoon is talking about budget, and I don't think any of those would fall in the budget category.
    All I ever had before this reno was a free-standing range, and yes, went through sticker shock while shopping for a slide-in. But, we love it! Love not having crumbs and crud fall down the sides, love the sleekness and clean look. Most of the pics above have a similar look to a slide-in with controls in front, and I'm guessing would probably all cost more than $1200 anyways. :>)

I would do a slide-in again no question. We do have a piece of granite behind ours, so I would ask both the granite fabricator and the appliance guy want to do if you end up with a free-standing range for now. Probably a model that has it's own back piece would be easiest. I also would hesitate about spending $500-$900 for a temporary fix. We couldn't give away our old free-standing stove (ended up being picked up by the garbage collector), so I'm sure you could find a temporary one for very little or no money. I'd advertise on Craig's List or at least look on there to see what was available.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Oh Raehelen,
    You are so right about the budget issue. Fool that I am
    I reread the original post. I should have focused on that
    part of the post before posting pictures. I have a
    brain made of Jello. Sometimes I forget people are like me
    and have to budget, search and shop in a practical way.
    We can dream but reality is what we have in front of us.
    Thanks for reminding me.

Here are some beautiful freestanding ranges that are under
    $1000. Check out Sears and Lowes. Try E-bay. With this
    economy there are businesses that have to get rid of
    some of their stock in order to survive. They are offering
    free shipping and some great deals. Don't give up
    a freestanding in a small price will still look lovely.

Bosch, GE, LG, Whirlpool, Frigidarie, Maytag,....
    I hope you find a great deal.
    ~boxerpups

GE Range under $1000
    {{!gwi}}

LG under $1000 visit US Appliance

GE $1200

Kenmore $1200

Bosch under $1000 at AJMadison and $1200 Lowes

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Kenmore Range freestanding

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Boxerpups, those are good budget-friendly models! My own leading contendersright now are Kenmore (made by GE), GE (though that GE Cafe has me salivating), and Frigidaire Gallery. The Frigidaires just came out, so not too many reviews yet. They are very attractive and budget friendly.

Bluemoon, there is a gorgeous Kitchenaid freestanding that has front controls and low back, so it looks like a slide-in, but the online reviews I've seen have been not good. The electronic panel would blow out when the self clean runs. They're also more pricey.

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

I don't know, I hate to be the voice of decent, but I really dislike the inexpensive freestanding ranges, which is all I've ever owned. The expensive ones are a whole nother story :-).

The crudy, gunky sides are only one reason I don't like inexpensive freestanding, the main one being asthetics. I don't like the part that sticks up where the knobs are. I associate it with over-the-range microwaves, apartments, and the 80s and 90s. BUT, that's my own personal hangup and associations, so it's seeing through my filter, and probably isn't most people's reality.

In reality though, staying within your budget is I think of utmost importance, and I think it's a much better decision to get a freestanding range now and upgrade to a slide in later. Or if you can live without a range for awhile longer, save up the extra $500, and then buy it, even if it means having a hole sized for a slide-in for a few months and cooking out of a toaster oven or the grill. You can also seriously hunt the scratch n dent sections for a slidein that's affordable or look on Craigslist. $1200 was the cheapest slide in I found too, and it was a Frigidaire.

One note, if you do a free-standing range with a built in backsplash inset, and you put it high enough to accommodate it, you are then probably stuck with free-standing until you change out the backsplash. So if you really do plan to upgrade to a slide-in, take that into account.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Gsciencechic,

I love the red knobs on the GE Cafe Range. Gorgeous.
    If you love the GE Cafe go to Lowes and Homedepot.
    Be firm about what you are willing to spend. You will
    be surprised to learn they will come down on the price.

Have you seen the GE Cafe in person?

It is really pretty but the GE Profile seemed better
    quality for the price. What did you think?

We ended up with a Bosch slide in because my DH got
    a super deal. He was firm about the price.
    I am thrilled with the Bosch it ended up being
    cheaper than the GE. No, I don't have those cool red
    knobs but I have learned to live without them . : )
    ~boxerpups

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>Kitchenaid freestanding that has front controls and low back, so it looks like a slide-in, but the online reviews I've seen have been not good. The electronic panel would blow out when the self clean runs.

If you mean the architect II series (I don't even try the KA site since they switched to that annoying flash format), one of my neighbors has it and I think it's actually worse looking than an honest standalone. It still has a fairly tall backsplash and to me it just looks silly having that big blank thing back there. However, she got a terrific price on it, something like $700 with convection oven and warming drawer. She just doesn't use the self-clean function.

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Writersblock, yes, that was the Architect II. I saw it at Sears. Although the back portion is a little funky, I liked the front controls.

Boxerpups, oh gosh, no, I have not looked at the GE Cafe in person. There is a dealer near work, so I may have to stop in without DH. Heck, I'm the one who cooks, right! I was looking at ranges ~$1,000 (smoothtop with single convection oven). Luckily, I am not in an area where high-end appliances are expected, though that Cafe would look awesome with my blue glass mosaic backsplash. Our "splurge" we would like to be the Big Chill fridge in blue.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Yes, I like the front controls, too, but the back looks pretty obvious when it's installed in a kitchen. I wish they offered a low piece as an alternative, like the island trim available for some of the gas ranges. If you like it and can find a good deal on it, I'd consider it if you can live without the self-cleaning feature. My neighbor is very pleased with it, except for the fan noise. (the fan runs loudly for a long time after you shut off the oven)

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Slightly OT, but I have to tell boxerpups that I am always so impressed with the "inspiration Pics" that you often post! You find and post the most drool-worthy photos!!!!

Thanks!

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

When shopping for a range, I thought the freestanding would remind me of my apartment days too, so I was all about a slide in. I do prefer them cause of the front controls and the more built in look. Then when I actually started looking, I realized the new freestandings looked really nice, especially for the price! My only reason for finally choosing a slide in was that I really, really wanted front controls.
    I had gas ranges all my life, and our new house was my first time with electric cooking. Getting used to electric was bad enough, but at least I had a wall oven, and my cook top controls were at the front. That made me happy. Which explains why I'm cancelling my range order and going back to wall oven/cooktop, but I digress.

So, if it's just the looks, do the freestanding, if you don't mind reaching over to control things.
    That KA with the black backsplash is silly looking to me too. It also has an oblong burner in the back that is too small for my not huge dutch oven.
    I think that the Frigidaire's are nice, and generally get some positive nods at the appliance forums. I have read some appliance tech's reviews elsewhere that say they are good appliances.

• mandolynn77
    14 years ago

Don't know if you have an Ikea near you, but they have a slide-in stainless range for $800. It looks really nice in person. Although it leans toward modern, like the handle on the oven and storage drawer underneath are pretty boxy. But still, an option. It's tempting me. We have a freestanding now and the crumbs getting stuck in that 1/4" space on either side drive me crazy.

• blondelle
    14 years ago

Do you have an area over your range more than the 18" upper cabinet height? Unless you have a larger vertical expanse above the cooktop I don't see the need for it. Myself, I have a tiny kitchen with a microwave and hood combo above the range so a slide in makes no sense for me. If you have a larger space above and range for decorative tile work then a slide in makes sense as you will have clean space to make a focal point there with a decorative statement

• User
    14 years ago

You can fit a free standing range and a slide in range in the same 30" wide space. The only difference is that a slide in will require a piece of counter material at the rear because it's shallower in depth, and the countertop edges at the front may not quite be profiled correctly for optimum fit. You can also have a piece of trim from the slide in's manufacturer. Or you can fabricate a plain old piece of stainless and attach it to the wall as a "spacer" if you replace with a slide in down the road.

If I had my heart set on a focal point backsplash, with a medallion or something behind the range, then I'd buy a second hand plain jane to fill the hole until I could afford the slide in. Because the backguard of a free standing range is 48" from the floor, you really don't have a lot of room for a focal point backsplash behind one, especially if space constraints force you into an OTR. Now if you just want a decorative backsplash, as in a simple design all the same like all subway tile, or all mosaic tile, with no focal point, then a freestanding range can look quite beautiful with that type of decorative backsplash.

Either way, I'd not go over my budget without fully exploring other alternatives first.

• jaybird
    14 years ago

I have a slide in and would NEVER have another...what a pain in the gizzard to get the back of it clean!! And it was no cheapie either!!!! DH insisted, so I folded. Never again!!