Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buy1soon

Okay, really as if the mini pop ups..

Terri_PacNW
9 years ago

Were bad enough they are ginormous now.
Are those of you on Ipads that pay for the app to stop them still successful?

If so Itunes is getting my $1.99 asap.

Comments (26)

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Yes Terri, it's really getting out of hand -especially now with the new pop ups for apps. I don't know if garden web is important enough to me to buy an app to use. GW will lose a lot of it's following due to these crappy, uncontrollable pop-ups.

Time for me to take a break from GW!

• antmaril
    9 years ago

I agree. VERY annoying.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It's definitely irritating. I've found that if I click and hold on a word in the post (as if to select it), I can get the pop up to go away long enough to read. As soon as I scroll down a bit, I have to do it all over again, though.

• GenB
    9 years ago

I don't see any pop ups at all... Just the in-site "ads" (because they aren't really ads) on the right hand side. I'm not sure if I would have bought it just to avoid them, but I already had it on my ipad and it was enough for me to enable it again.

Since this is the third forum I've needed to use it on, though, it was well worth the money I must have paid for it a few months ago. ;)

• Jancy
    9 years ago

This morning and this afternoon the annoying pop ups were small, now they are huge. I'm also on an ipad mini and it is so horrible trying to read the threads. The minute I start scrolling they pop up and I'm not even scrolling near the thread.

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is sooo annoying, and you can't opt out because that link has an error!

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well let's see I just bought Weblock..and not a hyper link anywhere in this thread where there were at least 2 a second ago..
    Maybe that's the point? Lol I did by an app, but not the ones they've been pedaling. ;)

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Hmm,I don't get any pop ups, but I'm using Android devices so maybe that's the difference.

• GenB
    9 years ago

Weblock is the one I mentioned on the other thread. :)

• mrspete
    9 years ago

HATE 'EM. I've actually clicked away from the site because of them.

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

I wish web sites would understand that people buy things or at least check them out based on what other people say about them over time, especially on discussion-driven sites like GW. I just don't understand their logic for doing this sort of thing. 100% of people are annoyed by it. I don't mind sidebar ads and understand the need for them, but to blatantly interrupt what you are doing is crossing the line.

By the way, I always visit here on a PC with ad-blocking software and have never seen these pop-ups and yet this site has generated thousands of my dollars in revenue for the housing industry because of my use of GW, and I welcome business reps' participation as long as they identify themselves.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Just bought and installed weblock on my ipad. They are gone for themoment. I use a vpn, and not sure how DH got it to work with the VPN but he did. Those large ads were just over the top. The little ones went away after a few seconds and i just suffered. Hopefully they are gone for good.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Hallelujah-they are gone! Well worth $1.99. The big ones threw me over the edge.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Aaahhhh! They are back! Grrrrrr.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I get no pop ups on my Android devices, nor do I get hyperlinks in the posts. The PC is another matter. Hyperlinks but no pop ups. I use Google Chrome as my web browser.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I'm usually on my mac on chrome and I've recently started seeing pop-up blocked. Hooray for pop-up blocker!

• April
    9 years ago

I was just gifted with the extra large ads now too. You can't read the entire page or even click out of it. This is out of hand. I just clicked on the Contact Us at the bottom of the page and sent an email with a link to this thread. If enough of us voice our opinions, maybe these ads will be taken off.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

OK, sorry but this post comes from my husband (an IT guy)

Hmmm, android has no problems, maybe you should stop using Apple platforms. ;)

• bpath
    9 years ago

(peering out from under the bed, clutching her iPad) are they gone? I don't see them any more...are they really gone?

• Terri_PacNW
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will never leave this Apple behind. I use Android phones, Microsoft PC and Laptop, but my Ipad is the best thing ever. ;)

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I love my ipad as much as I do my all-drawer kitchen and my silgranit sinks so I'm not going to sit in the office where the PC is to visit GW.

I find these new BIG ads as annoying as everyone else. I'd pay the $1.99 for weblock if it will get rid of them.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

What's an android?

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Web block worked for me for a day or two and then they were back. We should pack up and move to a less obnoxious location, this neighborhood has gone downhill! (Joking. Mostly.)

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I also just used the "contact us" below to send them an email. Hopefully they will at the very least fix the link to opt out of in text links. It's crazy how many of these keep popping up and how big they are. As many as I've seen so far I couldn't even tell you what they said. So if this is suppose to be great for advertising it's not working with me. At least the ads on the right are not intrusive but these pop ups are ridiculous.
    To those of you that got weblock app.- is it not working anymore?

• April
    9 years ago

I got a response from my email to GW. Maybe there is hope after all!

Aprilh,

We've reported the issue to our tech team and they are working to resolve it. We know it's frustrating and we appreciate your patience!

Sincerely,

GardenWeb Staff

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

OOTM- android is an open source operating system used on mobile phones and tablets such as the Samsung galaxy, Nexus devices, etc.

It is NOT windows, which is PC. There are windows phones but I haven't uses them personally.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath