Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
External Exhaust Blower - Your experience?

Posted by LoPay (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 19:36

I priced out a Broan ventilation system with a roof mounted blower that wasn't more than an Imperial or Kobe with an internal blower. I really want a quiet exhaust system, with not more than 800 CFMs. Quiet is very important to me because of my desire to listen to music and hear the ice clink in my martini while I am grilling a steak. :-) Oh yeah, my hearing is starting to go too.

If you have an external exhaust what issues did you run into during installation? Are there long term issues to consider? I live in Wisconsin, so I would be worried about the motor freezing up during winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: External Exhaust Blower - Your experience?

Sounds like external exhaust system is the way to go for you. May I suggest you re-post this inquiry with say a title such as "help me think through external kitchen exhaust in Wisconsin" on the GW Appliance Forum. Many experts in ventilation share their knowledge and practical help.

I've only had external exhaust. We've just replaced a fully working Tradewind/Thermador external blower and vent hood that was installed in 1973. We only had to modify the kitchen area duct work. So these external blowers seem to last from a mechanical and electrical point of view.

Wisconsin may be one of the states that requires "conditioned make up air" for blowers over 400 cfm's. That's why posting over on appliances will help you get needed input as well as alternatives.

Here in the south, my state requires make up air for blowers over 400 cfm, but not heating the make up air. Since my blower is 900 cfm, I added the Broan Make up air Damper and got a new 8" hole in my exterior brick wall to allow air entry.

Given the hearing constraint, an external blower may be very wise indeed. Internal motors are load on high; in-line (more remote) blowers are better but also expensive; remote blowers are generally less noise, but require ducts, blower, conduit and often make up air.

Good luck to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here