Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsf767

Our Finished Condo Kitchen!

dsf767
13 years ago

Hey Guys,

Its Done!!! After 5 months its finally done!

My wife and I bought Our condo a little over a year ago. It was our first home right before we got married last September We are 25 and 23.

The kitchen was right out of the 70's bad cabinets, appliances, and horrid counter tops. We knew this needed to go.

We weren't planning the Reno so soon except our sink bust out with a huge leak, we came to learn it was leaking for some time (probably many years)and their was mold under the cabinets.

We did not have much extra money only the $8000 first time home buyer credit and a little extra. I work full time and my wife goes to school and does not work right now because of her disability.

I think when all is said and done the Reno was around $10,000 from start to finish including all appliances (some had been previously replaced), cabinets, counter tops, and tile.

Everything was bought on a sale or clearance. The cabinets are American Woodmark Honey Maple. The counters are Baybrook Brown Granite. Together they were about $5,500 (I think they were around $7,000 but we got a free sinkbase cabinet and $700 off for spending over 5k

The tiles were about $300 everything was on clearance

The labor was around $4,000 for taking down the wall, installing the cabinets, breakfast bar, tile, all electrical, and plumbing. We got a good deal for a local contractor just looking for work and he knew the plumber so rolled that in with his price

Grand total for $9,300

We are very happy with how it turned out! we took down a wall to add a butcher block breakfast bar and added a ton of cabinet and counter space. So without further a due here are the pics!

Before:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

After:

We have some small painting projects left to do and put on some light switch covers and such but that can get done soon.

Not bad for $9,300 Huh?

Comments (21)

• dsf767
    Original Author
    13 years ago

One other thing Thanks for all your help on here we found some great resources and inspiration.

One last picture I forgot here is what the kitchen looked like before the wall was taken down.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Wonderful transformation and for under $10K--amazing!! I especially love your floor and cabs. Everything harmonizes so well--backsplash, paint, counter, floor, cabs. Your lighting solution is great. I hope I can do my remodel as economically as you managed yours! Now, relax & enjoy! :)

• dsf767
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I sure yours will turn out great!

Thanks for noticing the matching we spent weeks searching for the perfect things to match. Then we had to be aware of price which made the search very hard. We were in Home Depot, Lowes, and other places every extra minute we could!

We are happy we could match as well as we did.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Very nice! Hard to believe that you spent under 10K for that new kitchen. A huge improvement over what was there.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

WOW - what an improvement. The cabinets are sooo much better and I really like your floor and backsplash. What a wonderful job for under $10K. Enjoy.

• rjr220
    13 years ago

You have done such a marvelous job of transforming the same space -- it looks so much more open -- you've really gottena bang for your buck. I really like everything -- but the backsplash is fab -- I really like the detail behind the sink.

Your floor is great as well. EXCELLENT! Please add your kitchen to the "wood kitchen" inspirations thread that eastbaymom started. I think that it's really important for people to see that even small kitchens deserve to be beautiful.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck to you and your wife!

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

Great job! I love your lights and how they accent your counter and backsplash.

• dsf767
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone.

@jr Thanks, we were really going for open! The breakfast bar opening of the wall was really an after thought. We had already bought the Cabs and Counters by then. So bcause we could add more counter we thought what would look good.

We really liked to look of butcher block islands so we thought what about a butcher block breakfast bar! It turned out great and the butcher block from Ikea was only like $80 such a deal for a nice design impact.

• baileyandbella
    13 years ago

You should be very proud of yourselves! It's beautiful!!

How wonderful to see a young couple starting off marriage with some wisdom. :) Not many young people are too wise these days.

I love your track light, can I ask where you bought it?

• dsf767
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We got the light track once again on clearance at Lowes. It matched our knobs and pulls perfectly so it was a great find!

Thanks for the comment about having wisdom.

We decided to buy a Condo because of how the market was and the 8K first time home buyer credit. We pay less in mortgage + utilities then we would if we rented!

We could not afford much on the Southshore MA but this made sense for us. We got the condo for 125K but its valued at 170K. We think the dated kitchen and bath scared people off and the sellers were very motivated so we got a amazing deal.

It's hard with my wife still in school but luckily I have my degree in Computer Networking and have a good job in IT so it all works out.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think you made some great choices both in buying a diamond in the rough and now polishing that gem.
    It all is so pretty and the floor pattern is really nice!

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Nice makeover and on a budget too!! How smart to realize that buying will be a good investment for you down the road.

Cabinets, floor, counters, and backsplash all compliment each other. Enjoy your kitchen and many years of happiness to you both!!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Great make-over...it looks wonderful. Nice matching of materials and that floor is really beautiful. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Congrats. It is warm, light, pretty, cohesive, and should function very nicely. Enjoy your lovely kitchen and cook up a storm. Make good food at home and recoup your expenditure by dining well at home. Westsider40

• dsf767
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the positive remarks everyone!

Don't worry we will be eating at home I am always on the food network website looking for new recipes to try out I enjoy cooking and making new things!

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Wow, amazing transformation!! Enjoy!!

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

You all are an inspiration!! Congratulations! Enjoy your new kitchen and all that new counter space!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Great job, every coordinates beautifully! Hope you're enjoying it! Congrats!

• doraville
    13 years ago

What a great job! Love your choices and better yet the price. It's hard to believe you got both the counter and cabs for less than 6K. Quite a steal. Love those bargains.

• daki
    13 years ago

The 'low budget' remodels are always some of my favorite kitchens on this forum and proves you don't have to have a big budget to end up with a very nice looking and usable kitchen. You two ended up with something very nice. May you cook many tasty dinners! Grats and I really hope you add your kitchen to the finished kitchen blog. :)

• dsf767
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I will be sure to add it to the blog! One thing I can't believe is now that our kitchen is done my Wife and I are already talking about when we can get to our avocado green bathroom.