Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

Should I do this - change SS DW to a wood panel

a2gemini
10 years ago

We had Miele out to do a routine check on the DW and I asked about the SS panel and how hard it would be to replace it with a wood panel to match our cabinets.
The tech popped off the SS panel and said we could do this!
Now, most of you have seen our kitchen and it is just over a year old. The DW as a re-use item and I never even thought about doing this until today.
We definitely went over budget on the kitchen and I am currently saving towards the bathrooms.
Here is a picture of our kitchen.

And a shot of the DW side-

So bottom line - Yes or No!

Comments (18)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

If it isn't that expensive to get the panel fabricated and a sturdy pull, sure, why not? Better now when the cabinets are relatively new and easily matched. It looks fine as it is but it would look good blending in, too.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love your kitchen just the way it is but if your heart tells you to then do it! I thought it took a panel ready dishwasher but Miele is probably an exception.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

I think the panel would look very nice across the bottom-not that there is anything wrong with the way it looks now though.

I debated the same question and went with the wood panel so as to just minimize stainless and have color flow.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I just did that for my miele and I love the wood panel as it provides a more cohesive look. Mine is a older Miele La Perla model and the controls are in the front and not hidden in the top. I still like the wood panel though.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Definitely! Pretty kitchen that would look even better with the panel, imo. Love the wood tones.

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

I don't know - I kinda like the SS. How much has your cherry aged (darkened) in the last year? Not that it would be a huge factor, but something to consider if you're looking for an exact match immediately.

• AnnaA
    10 years ago

I like the visual interest that the ss adds along a stretch of cabinets, but that is such a personal choice. And I know some ss appliances are hard to keep shiny.

But why do you want to switch it out with a matching panel?

It will look great either way.

• steph2000
    10 years ago

My aunt just did this in her new kitchen and is regretting it. She says the door is extremely noticeably more heavy and it makes things awkward for her. I've never had one, so I really don't know.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Hey a2, I was surprised to see that you are already thinking of remodeling your remodeled kitchen (ha, ha). Really your kitchen looks great the way it is but a wood panel on your DW is not a bad idea. (Disclaimer: I have a paneled DW).
    Leaving it stainless ties that side of the kitchen to the other side but paneling it (if it exactly matches) may make that side of the kitchen look a bit more streamlined.
    I don't think either way is wrong.So maybe you should just get a new pair of shoes for yourself instead!

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

For me, I like seeing the appliances, not having them hiding behind a panel. If you go through the trouble of installing a wood panel, what happens when it is time to replace the dishwasher? Will you be able to find another panel ready dishwasher that will accept that same size panel?

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Unless it's prohibitively expensive, I would go for it. In my opinion, it looks more upscale, and in my area, it's certainly the hallmark of a more expensive kitchen. Also, if you do it now rather than later, the wood will change coloring with the cabinets.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Unless it's prohibitively expensive, I would go for it. In my opinion, it looks more upscale, and in my area, it's certainly the hallmark of a more expensive kitchen. Also, if you do it now rather than later, the wood will change coloring with the cabinets.

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

I also think you won't get a good match on the wood after a year. I would save the money for the bathrooms. Your kitchen looks great.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

a2 - I think that it looks good as is and I would use the money toward the bathroom remodel.

But if you really want to change it, definite things to consider - you mentioned that the DW is a reused one...so, it's already several years old. That means that you might be replacing the DW sooner-ish than if it was brand new when you remodeled (at least in theory) - will the panel go onto a new DW easily? (I don't know if they keep the attachments the same or change them every few years like everything else so that it isn't "modular")

Also, with cherry, your cabinets have most certainly changed color from their original color. While the panel will ultimately catch up, it will take a while and it will definitely not match for a period of time (I think that I've read that it's usually somewhere around a year). Personally, I know that would bother me quite a bit waiting out that time for it to get close to a match.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

a2 - I think that it looks good as is and I would use the money toward the bathroom remodel.

But if you really want to change it, definite things to consider - you mentioned that the DW is a reused one...so, it's already several years old. That means that you might be replacing the DW sooner-ish than if it was brand new when you remodeled (at least in theory) - will the panel go onto a new DW easily? (I don't know if they keep the attachments the same or change them every few years like everything else so that it isn't "modular")

Also, with cherry, your cabinets have most certainly changed color from their original color. While the panel will ultimately catch up, it will take a while and it will definitely not match for a period of time (I think that I've read that it's usually somewhere around a year). Personally, I know that would bother me quite a bit waiting out that time for it to get close to a match.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the input. It looks like a split decision - so I could cut the panel in half and do cherry and SS - just kidding of course.
    I do appreciate the feedback and lots of pearls of wisdom.

Badger - since we still have a punch list - the kitchen is not finished, so doesn't qualify as a remodel yet... Good to hear from my internet sister.

Andrea, Spanish, MGoBlue, Anna, and others - the DW is a Miele and the rep said it should last 20 years (LOL) and it is now 3-4 years old. The good news is that I can just take off the SS panel and store it for future use if needed. The KD is coming on Friday to help resolve the punch list issues (not all her fault that this is taking long - I kept running away for consulting gigs and visiting DM). When she comes, I can ask about color change - I also still have the sample cabinet piece, so can see how it compares.

GW - love the color of your cabinets - and nice DW picture!

Palim, Sparkling and any one else that I missed - thanks for your input.

Stay tuned :-)

• deedles
    10 years ago

Either way looks good to me. Your kitchen is so nice. I really don't mind the ss, actually.

Say, do you remember what the name of those ceiling lights are by chance?

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are hubbardton forge but have to look up the exact style. I think maybe compass but might have just made that up!
    I am training a class today and have to scoot to set up (I am supposed to be retired LOL)
    Thanks on DW input as well