Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livinginniles

question re mixing black and SS appliances

livinginniles
10 years ago

Hi again,

My question has to do with mixing black and SS appliances.

I've already bought a SS d/w, microwave and rangehood and will soon buy a SS fridge.

However, I've also already bought an all black induction cooktop. The 'not yet even picked out' wall oven will go right underneath the cooktop and I thought it would look cool to have an all black oven to complement the all black cooktop and that this would make things look more interesting.

As for layout, the black cooktop/oven would be more or less across from SS d/w and ~ 6" to the right of the fridge.

Would this look odd (instead of interesting :) in my wee little galley kitchen?

Many thanks!

P.S. I'm not fond of the black wall oven w SS handle.

Comments (8)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Could you post a picture of the black oven under consideration?

• livinginniles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure thing! Please see link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whirlpool WOS92EC0AB

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

In my opinion, that would look odd. Would work better if the oven had some black and some ss.

• cardinal94
    10 years ago

I'm not big on matchy matchy for kitchen appliances, but rather just have things coordinated. We had a kitchen several yrs ago that previous owners had black appliances. When we had to do replacements, one by one, we stayed with the black. I didn't realize what a strong statement that made until we took pictures for selling.

We are now building and not getting matching appliances. We are picking out appliances one by one for what best suits our needs and in our price range.

My only advice would be how does the placement look in the floor plan and visibility from other rooms. Black will make a strong statement, but I tend to think underneath the black cooktop might work fine.

• taggie
    10 years ago

Link doesn't work for me, but regardless I would do the oven in stainless for sure.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

What is the finish on the cabinets?
    What is the countertop?

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

That is a cool looking oven.

We have black and ss in our current kitchen. But there's a little black on each appliance which are mostly all ss. If that oven came with a ss handle, that would make all the difference.

eta: what about this Whirlpool model - RBS245PR
    (found at ajmadison.com)

This post was edited by ck_squared on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 11:07

• livinginniles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yikes, I fell off the face of the earth on my own thread -- sorry!

My cabinets will be book-matched cherry with slab style fronts and the countertop will be Caesarstone Oyster.

I ended up going with the SS Kitchenaid wall oven, NOT because of the SS vs black thing, but because the KA had some great features that I will appreciate over the years (like easy to clean interior door -- just one big slab 'o glass! - and temp probe so i can stop guessing if the roast is done). I could have gotten the KA in black, but it really doesn't look as great as the black Whirlpool one I was considering, so I didn't see the point. (although I would have saved a few bucks). Hope I don't regret it -- I really like that Whirlpool oven in black -- my kitchen is small enough so you never stand back and say, wow, look at how the SS doesn't coordinate with the black (if you're standing that far back, you're outside!).

Thank again, everyone for the advice.

{{!gwi}}