Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me help my kitchen, please!!

Posted by clarabelled (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 19:18

Hi everyone,

My family just bought a new house and the kitchen, while brand new, is very dark and not really our style. We are making minimal changes (because of cost) and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to lighten things up. The cabinets are dark wood, and the granite may be giallo veneziano. The appliances are black (this is my biggest issue) and we just ripped out the backsplash and will replace it with an off-white subway tile (any recos on what might work?) in high gloss to reflect some light. We are putting in white oak floors and will stain a medium tone (any thoughts on a good, warm but not red medium tone? i like honey or amber).

I wanted to paint the cabinets but a friend who is a contractor said it will be a disaster because of the factory finish. Has anyone had experience with this? A painter said he would do it and didn't mention it being very hard but I don't want to risk ruining the cabinets because I can't buy new ones!

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer. I tried to upload three pics but it didn't work. This one shows the cabinets and the black and the counter, so I guess that's all you need! I appreciate your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me help my kitchen, please!!

How about a new backsplash which would be lighter?
Stains are tricky and it takes the right prep work first but an experienced painter should know what to do.

o

The lighter BS should make a huge difference. Also, what about different lighting? What is the wall color?

o

What about a lighter floor? If you can't paint the cabinets, wood floors would be a lot of wood. Light tile shows the dirt, but they also bounce around the light. My mom has a light floor (with a light patterned design to hide the dirt) and wood cabinets. She loves it and it's surprisingly light, given the darker counter tops (faux black granite) and wood cabinets. She also painted the walls a light, leaf green, which looks beautiful with the wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here