Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jairosmom

Rangetop & wall ovens versus range unit

Michelle
9 years ago

Hi there...my husband and I are building a new home and I am stuck on what to do in the kitchen. This will be a $700,000 home, our "dream" as cheesy as that sounds. ;)

He wants to do a rangetop and separate wall ovens (is this what realtors call a "gourmet kitchen"?) and I'd prefer to just do a range unit (with oven). We'll be doing a Wolf or GE Monogram 36 or 48" gas range. If we did the range unit (with oven) I'm leaning towards the 48" due to the split ovens (making them quicker to preheat).

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

Comments (13)

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I've had both, and I think it depends on the size of the kitchen and how and what you cook.
    If I had room for a 48" range, I'd be in heaven!
    I do much more stove top cooking than baking or roasting, so a range is my preference. I'm also the only one in the kitchen, while for others in some cases there are two or more working at once, where I can see the wall ovens having some merit.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

My grandparents' house, built in 1955, had a cooktop and wall oven. It was tiny - nothing "gourmet" about it. Friends have a wall oven - house built in the 70's, with a horrible layout.

I think range vs wall oven is more about use of space and convenience (not having to bend down to the oven) than about cooking style.

Why do you prefer a range? If you have the space, I would think that wall ovens would be far more convenient to use. You can put drawers under the range top for storage.

• dretutz
    9 years ago

I've had both. I prefer wall ovens and a cooktop. My Gaggeneau is right height to avoid bending and lifting which is a big consideration for this older woman. It also opens with a side hinge so no need to lean over the open oven door for taking things out of the oven. I love having pots and pans in drawers under the cooktop--very convenient.

• EmmJay
    9 years ago

I grew up with a rangetop and have had a stove/oven combo for many years, but now I'm moving to a new house with a rangetop again. I bought it as a spec home, but I really like the idea of the rangetop because, as ctycdm said, most people spend more time cooking than baking anyway. I think you'd really like it in terms of easy use and also for counterspace/easy access to work area, depending on how you position it. Good luck with your build!

• heidihausfrau
    9 years ago

My vote is for the wall oven. I have had one for 20 years, and with the remodel switched to a double wall oven. I go in spurts--baking like a fiend then cooking something on every burner. So, for me the use is a toss up.
    Just like dretutz said, the ease of a wall oven is great.

And I will admit, I love the look of the double ovens next to my fridge. I think it looks great---can only imagine how awesome it would be in a "dream" home!!

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Since my remodel a year ago, I'm using a range top and wall ovens for the first time. I didn't think through the pros and cons very thoroughly, and think you are wise to do so. I don't use ovens all that much, but do enjoy the double ovens and the ability to see in without bending down. But one of the trade-offs is that the vent hood doesn't take the heat or smells from the ovens out, it is only over the range top.
    If I were to build a dream home, it would certainly be in a very warm climate, and I think I'd give more thought to the venting. If you use the self-clean, or want to remove cooking heat/smells, having ovens under the hood makes sense.

• FamCook
    9 years ago

Kksmama - funny, I was just reading this thread and comments and thinking the exact same thing you wrote about venting. I have an all in one range. In a perfect world nothing would spill over and smoke, but just tonight I was making a baked pasta dish and somehow something bubbled over a bit. I hadn't even realized it because of the hood sucking out all the smoke and smells. This would never of happened in our old home.

I'm surprised more people don't discuss the venting issue when listing the pros and cons of ranges and wall ovens, etc. Or maybe I'm the only one that has baked the last sheet of cookies for 45 minutes while I went to water my plants? Yep, done that and many other things. :)

• Michelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Romy718, we are a family of five, kids are 12, 9, and 5. Two ovens would be great since I do bake quite a lot. If I had an unlimited budget, your setup would be wonderful. We would like to stay under 20k. I suppose if I skipped the professional frig I could make that happen....but is that a no-no? To go prof range/ovens and lower end frig? Sorry to sound so ignorant....my current kitchen is from Lowes, so this high end shopping is new to me. :)

Kksmama and famcook.....very good point about venting! I've definitely been known to burn things in the oven!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I agree that wall ovens are more convenient as far as bending, etc. Tough call because you could get a 24" griddle or a grill/griddle combo with that 48" range. Also, an opportunity to do a really nice range wall that could be the focal point in your kitchen.
    Why don't you post your proposed layout & see what the layout gurus suggest? There may be a functional reason for wall ovens vs range oven that makes your kitchen more efficient.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

As far as "gourmet kitchen" goes, I think your realtors are off base. For me anyway, a 48"-60" range has a lot more wow factor than wall ovens do, especially if it has a built in 24" griddle like romy718 says... :)

• alerievay1
    9 years ago

Do you mean $20K for all appliances?

I originally planned a cooktop/wall oven but decided to go with a range instead. It's significantly less expensive in my case, and I will gain more counter space in my relatively small kitchen.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I think a 48" range and a 36" rangetop plus double ovens have similar "gourmet kitchen" qualities, but the difference on whaich way you should go really depend on how you use them and how they would fit into a layout.

I am tall and bake a lot. I knew I wanted double wall ovens even though I loved the look of a 48" range and did take some time to consider the possibility. The ovens of the ranges were so low for me that even having two didn't overcome that. Also, I like having the ovens clear when someone is at the cooktop and my layout keeps them close enough that cooking at both is still easy enough to do.

If I were able to build and gain that extra floor in each direction, my dream might be a 48" rangetop plus double wall ovens. But that's just a dream. I'm actually very happy with what I have and can pull out a griddle when I need it.