Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodigus_gw

Sedna Granite is in...now what backsplash would you use?

jodigus
12 years ago

Hi there,

We just got our new Sedna granite counter tops installed today and I am in love! Since the counter tops are so busy I'm not sure what kind of backsplash to use. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am considering painting the whole island black and putting in hardwood floors in the near future as well if that makes a difference. Thanks for any advice!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (32)

• jodigus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops, here is the pic

Here is a link that might be useful:

• stu2900
    12 years ago

I'm sorry, I don't have a recommendation for a blacksplash, but I just had to say how in love I am with your granite! It's gorgeous! Congratulations!

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Wow, that's assertive granite.

A cream or tan plain subway tile to blend with the color of the granite would be my choice, because it would not compete.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I agree with lazy. Something to match the lightest cream in the granite. It is a show stopper.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

That's awesome! Another agreement... something in that vanilla/cream color

• enduring
    12 years ago

Is that a small back splash in marble already in place? I don't think it goes well with the granite which is very beautiful. as lazy, elledni & remodelfla have said above I would vote for a light cream to match the light color in your granite. Texture & sheen will be important considerations too.

• jodigus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input! Going today to look for a simple, light tile. The white portion is not marble, it is just the wall where the formica "backsplash" was removed.

• kmmh
    12 years ago

Granite looks great! Good luck!

• darbuka
    12 years ago

Gorgeous stone...but it is 'explosive'! As lazygardens said, a quiet
    backsplash is called for, nothing veiny. Something in the creamy/beigy
    family.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I agree with others. A creamy colored tile to match the lightest color in the granite would look great. WOW! Looks good so far. Also, I would keep the pattern and tile style simple.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

I don't have much imagination, but with all that movement in the granite, I would try to match the lightest cream in the granite. Besides a subway, you could do a sheet of reverse painted glass.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I'd do a sheet stainless bs. It would be quiet and coordinate well. You could also try ss tiles, but I'd make sure they were larger sized ones...
    If you do a cream tile, I'd try for minimal grout and a very flat surface.
    I'd want the bs to be as smooth as possible to keep the counters as the focal point. They are quite striking and infinitely interesting. I think they need to be the diva of the show ;)

• az88
    12 years ago

Your granite looks like it has a lot of the same colors as mine, but with a lot more black in it.

I had a really difficult time finding something that looked right with it. To me it needed something with yellow/gold tones to it. Thanks to all the comments on this board about keeping the backsplash simple if you have a busy granite, I ended up with a travertine subway tile. It has more variation in color than I wanted, but it was close enough. I've put a link to some pictures - maybe they'll help you add to your list of likes/dislikes. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash pics

• michellemarie
    12 years ago

Gorgeous granite! I agree with the other posters. I would try to find a bone colored subway tile. Your granite is so exotic that anything other than a simple tile will overwhelm your kitchen. I personally like a handmade look and I think a handmade tile with a crackle finish in a basic 3x6 size would finish off your kitchen just right.

• yankca
    12 years ago

My vote is for the same granite as a backsplash.

• jlcorpus
    12 years ago

I would also use the same granite as the backsplash as I feel tiles will draw the eye away from the show-stopper granite you have picked. Beautiful!!!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Beautiful counters!
    A backsplash that will let your granite be the center
    of attention is a good idea.
    Here are a few visuals to think about.
    ~boxerpups

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

jodigus:
    congrats on ;your sedna. we also had ours installed recently and i agree. i am totally in love with it. will post pics soon. mine looks so different than yours, but i can tell its sedna. its so awesome looking, so different than anything else out there, imho!!

but we are also in a pickle as to the backsplash. we did do a full backsplash with the sedna on cooktop wall but we have another wall to do.

we are also considering a plain tile. i thought a rough looking tile would look better to contrast the granite, nothing shiny. but can't find anything yet. let me know when you decide and i will do the same.

i don't think there are many people who have it since it is such a "strong" looking granite with so much movement. so not much feedback on backsplash ideas. but i do agree with what they are saying. something plain, because it is the star of the kitchen!!

keep me posted and i will too!!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Wow, recommendations for creamy white subways. I'm shocked.

I like the paint. Put a SS backsplash behind the range for function.

Cream or white will heighten the contrast. Look how the stone looks against that unpainted strip, or the door, compared to the way it works with the paint color. If you do get a tile, find something that echoes the paint.

• uroboros5
    12 years ago

The second I laid eyes on it, I thought:

METALLIC

This kitchen needs something metallic in the backsplash.

The choice is yours!

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

I'd try to match that orange-gold (as it appears on my monitor, anyway) in a ceramic subway, not necessarily the usual size, being careful to find a shade that doesn't look like you were also trying to match the cabinets.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Exactly what ellendi said: "Something to match the lightest cream in the granite. It is a show stopper." Your granite is really gorgeous and bold. I think something in the color of the lightest cream would help keep the focus on the granite and not make the space too dark (with the stained cabinetry and brown tones in the granite). I'd probably bring home different shapes to try: subway, square, long rectangle, mixed linear, mosaic, hex, arabesque, etc. I think several different shapes could look really good, but I would definitely keep the color monotone and try to match the lightest cream in the granite. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Ok marcolo-Just for the fun of it, work your magic and find a caramel or buterscotch tile that will compliment the granite:)

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

I like the SS suggestions or metallic. Yes, you don't want it to compete but it also has to have enough boldness to compliment it without looking too boring or odd next to such a vibrant granite. I'd think big - like 12x12's of SS. I am picturing some sort of modern version of pressed tin.

• cafbldr
    11 years ago

I just installed Sedna counter tops. What backsplash did you choose? Would love to see pictures too.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I wouldn't hold your breath. Jodigus registered the day she/he posted that question (which happens to have been exactly one year ago) and google doesn't find any other posts from him/her.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

Awww, I didn't realize this was an old thread. Maybe cafbldr will find my pic useful.

• beeps
    11 years ago

I'm glad you posted that cawaps! I LOVE the Chemetal and had never heard of it before. Once my kitchen gets done it will be either glass subway or that. And probably the Chemetal if I can make it work. I'm also sitting here wondering how else I could incorporate some into my house. =) Thanks so much for posting it!

• cafbldr
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting the images. They look great and are very helpful. Glass is a good idea too.

• MrsShayne
    11 years ago

Omg! Love your granite. I too just got "busy" granite installed and went with a very subtle backsplash. My opinion, busy granite with busy backsplash clashes! I went with Crossville porcelain tile. Below is a link to explain it all. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash with busy granite

• springroz
    11 years ago

Does anyone even know what happened to the OP? It is one thing that I don't like about myself......I am just not clever enough to check the original post date, and I get all wrapped up in it, then no one has heard any thing for years!! bWaAaaaa!

It is all about me, isn't it??

Sorry....please resume trying to find a backsplash for the OP, after a year