Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grace76_gw

Pics of Shiloh natural cherry or medium cherry cabinets?

Grace76
9 years ago

Anyone have Shiloh natural cherry or medium cherry cabinets? Please, I would love to see your pics. I am on the fence about natural or medium stain, not sure if one is too dark or the other too light for my north facing kitchen. Thanks! Grace76

Comments (9)

• vagabonds
    9 years ago

Keep in mind that cherry wood will darken over time, more so than other woods.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I haven't commented because I have Barker's natural cherry, not Shiloh's. Maybe it will give you an idea though. Here a couple pics of our recently renovated kitchen with natural cherry, no stain. These were during construction a few months ago but show the color well. Please do remember, as vagabonds said, the color will darken over time. Ours has darkened slightly but it just makes them look richer and more beautiful.

• mihelene
    9 years ago

Hi Grace,
    We put in Shiloh medium cherry, I apologize for the poor quality picture but the color is represented well. We have since sold the house so I don't have any better photos. I wanted the natural but my husband won this decision battle.
    Helene

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have natural cherry in custom cabs. They are darker than we expected after two years, but they are still a bright cherry. I think natural cherry is more casual. I would consider stain if you want the beauty of the grain but less of the red tone or if you use a traditional or formal door style. We have a medium brown stain on our LR cherry furniture, which is modern Craftsman style. It's a little richer looking than the natural cherry. What doesn't make sense is when people put a very red stain or "cordova" on cherry. It doesn't need artificial reddening!

• westsider40
    9 years ago

I have a cherryish stain on maple, custom. I love the grain of maple and this will not darken with age.

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

Natural cherry is going to darken to pretty much the same color in any brand. There may be a difference in the amount of color variation depending on the grade of cherry used. Most of the darkening happens in the first 6 months or so.

Here is a picture of our natural cherry kitchen taken after the family room remodel when the flooring was replaced. The toe kick covers hadn't been reinstalled when this picture was taken. (We knew we were going to do the family room later so we didn't change the flooring when we did the kitchen remodel.) The cabinets are about 6 years old here so about as dark as they will get:

I've heard on this forum that stained cherry doesn't darken much. The color contributed by the stain doesn't darken and masks some of the color change of the cherry.

Our first idea was to go with natural maple for the kitchen to keep it very light. We were worried about dark cabinets making it to dark. But every time I saw pictures of cherry kitchens I loved the warmth of them and cherry went so well with counter top colors we liked.

We find the cherry dark enough to add some warmth and color variation to our kitchen without making it too dark. Our kitchen faces slightly north of west, but there are redwoods and other tall trees and a wing of the house shading the kitchen window. We don't find the natural cherry too dark.

We used natural maple when we replaced the floor.

• Grace76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, so much to all that have posted their beautiful, beautiful cherry cabinet pics or their words of wisdom!
    I very much appreciate you all taking the time to post to help me out. But still would love to see pics of Shiloh natural cherry cabinets if anyone out there has them! However, please all cherry cabinet pics welcome.
    Thanks, thanks again! This is very helpful.Grace76

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Not Shiloh but here are my natural cherry cabinets pictured 1 year after install. They are now almost 3 years old but to me they look the same as in this picture ( in other words, they haven't gotten any darker.)

Just snapped this picture with china cabinet door open. You can see that part of the face frame is lighter because it has been covered by the full overlay door and not been exposed to direct light. This is the extent of the darkening to date. Since as I said, they are almost 3 years old I think this is as dark as they will ever be.