Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amhers104_gw

Cabinet collapse leads to new kitchen! need granite help!!!!

amhers104
11 years ago

A month ago my 13 yar old Homecrest cabinet collapsed off wall... breaking everything in it, and damaging the Formica countertop and our hardwood floors. Insurance settled with us so we are redoing the kitchen... even though I have already gone over budget. Just ordered Schrok maple cabinets- Morgan door style painted in Coconut finish (off white). We are upgrading to granite and have narrowed it down to the ever popular Uba Tuba, Peacock or Steel Pearl. Right now the kitchen is painted in Benjamin More Dorset Gold, but will probably repaint kitchen. Thinking Fern Green if i go with Steel Gray granite. Monroe Bisque if i go with Uba Tuba or Peacock. I do like the Peacock green granite but afraid it may look to busy with the lighter pieces within the granite. Does anyone have any of the mentioned granite in their kitchens with white or off white cabinets. Would be so helpful to see pictures!!!! and what color wall apint works. i have a u shaped kitchen with the eating are opened to a 24 x 38 family room painted in Old Salem Gray (which is a darker historical color green). The other kitchen wall abutts the dining room which is painted a dark burgundy color- not sure of the name. We have bisque appliances right now but will be upgrading to stainless steel.

Going crazy trying to visualize the different granites actually in the kitchen. I have aleady been to granite yard and like all three granites! Making decisions is definitely one of my weaknesses.

Any suggestions, advice or pics would be greatly appreciated! !!!! :)

Comments (17)

• numbersjunkie
    11 years ago

OMG! I hope no one was hurt? But what an opportunity!

It might help if you posted pics of what you are considering.

• amhers104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Luckily no one was hurt!!! Terrible timing the day before my sons high school graduation with 30 people coming for his grad dinner. It was quite a mess with glass and broken dishes everywhere. Needless to say we ate dinneron papaer plates the next day. I think my 10 month old puppy is suffering PTSD.. the poor thing shook for 2 hours and wouldn't go near kitchen for days. Anytime there is a loud noise or something drops now he flies out of the room. :) I am a newbie to this site and can't figure out how to post pics using my ipad. Also, so confused on my three granite choices and paint color really not sure what I would post. Ill keep trying to figure out how to post pics. thanks:)

• amhers104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the result of the cabinet collapsing... but shows color of our hardwood floors.

• amhers104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the family room view from where out kitchen table is. The U kitchen is just to the left.

• amhers104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the dining room right off the kitchen-- kitchen table is behind me as i took this shot. Try to show the two different color paints that I need to coordinate the kitchen paint with. Starting to lean toward Peacock Green granite. I am thinking of changing the Dorset Gold color we have with new paint to give a completely different look. Any suggestions of a color that will go with Peacock granite (cabinets on order are off white). The kitchen color really needs to go with the green family room and the burgundy dining room because it is such an open floor plan.

• amhers104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last pic... this is the color cabinet door on order. Should be in the 3rd week of August so i really need to make a decision on granite soon. Also trying to take advantage of tax-free weekend in MA so if i decide before Sat I can save $180.00 on tax. I love reading all the great suggestions made by everyone on so many on other posts so I am hoping I get some advice here! Just not confident in my decorating decisions:(

• springroz
    11 years ago

I love your cabinet and its color, and think a verde butterfly with a good bit of lightness would be just beautiful!

I am glad everyone was ok in your cabinet mishap!! I caught my impending collapse before it actually fell, and got all the plates out in time!!

Nancy

• Delilah66
    11 years ago

Geesh - of course it happened when you had a special occasion! I had a similar (but less catastrophic) cabinet problem. Cooking with a friend for a Christmas sorority dinner when my cabinet door hinges broke as I was opening it. I was able to keep door from completely falling but it hit and broke some of the dishes, cups, saucers lined up on the counter below. It was a couple of weeks before I could get someone to help re-install the door (too heavy for me to handle by myself) and in the meantime, I pretended I liked the open shelving look (not!). Maybe next time I'll just let everything fall and break if I could get insurance to pay for new cabinets. Did they pay only for the cabinet and contents that broke or were you able to negotiate additional cost to replace other cabinets so you didn't have a mismatch?

Sorry I cannot help with paint advice - it's always a struggle for me, too.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Here is our bathroom with steel gray aka silver pearl granite. Is this what you are thinking of?

We were interested in steel gray for our kitchen but no one around here can get it anymore. Or if they do it doesn't look anything like what we have.

• lambsear1
    11 years ago

i have Verde peacock with white cabinets. It looks black from a distance but when you get closer it is green with caramel swirls. The wall paint is BM-Shelburne Buff and I like the combination. Hope this helps.

• denali2007
    11 years ago

I love my Peacock Green granite. We were trying to stay within a budget so I only allowed myself to look at Level 1 or 2 granites. Even if I could have afforded a higher level I would have picked this. I don't think it looks busy at all and that was another reason I chose it. During the day it just looks dark but at night when the lights are on it really sparkles. It's like a piece of jewelry

I have carmel colored cabinets and have Ben Moore's AF Slendor in my kitchen I was not happy with the color in my old kitchen with the dirty brown oak cabinets. I was glad I was going to use the new kitchen as an excuse to paint. However, I love it with my new kitchen. Couldn't be happier. I think Monroe Bisque would look lovely. I have Powell Buff in my foyer which is almost like Monroe Bisque only a little more gold. Shelburn Buff would look good too. Just about any green or gold would be nice. When you do decide to paint, get some samples of what you are considering and paint poster board with it and put it in different spots around the room and next to your existing colors you are trying to coordinate.Good luck with your decisions.Also I have a Cafe Brown Silgranite sink and looks so good with the granite.The color in the picture is a little lighter than it really is.

• denali2007
    11 years ago

Sorrycan't get the picture to load.

• amhers104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finally decided on the Verde Peacock!!! Just got call that my cabinets will be delivered on Thursday. Crunch time.. i need to decide on my paint color!!! Leaning toward BM Springfield Tan or Capilano Bridge. Any suggestios or pics???

• amhers104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

denali thanks for posting pic". love the color combination. I am going to get the Shellburne Buff swatch tomorrow to see how it works in my kitchen.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

I reponded to an email that you had sent to me regarding paint colors but I don't know if you received it or not. If you recall, I used verde peacock in my kitchen but I have natural cherry cabinets. I used BM Hillcrest Tan for my kitchen walls and I used Capilano Bridge in a little seating are attached to my kitchen. I find it is difficult (especially at night) to photograph the tan colors but the attached picture is a fairly good representation. The wall with the wreath on it is the Hillcrest Tan and the area were the windows are is the Capilano Bridge color. Both colors look great with the granite. They are a good match for the little gold highlights in the granite. Capilano Bridge or a simliar color should look good with your white cabinets too.
    Here is what the colors look like in my space:
    {{!gwi}}
    If you click on the photo I think you should be able to look at my whole album if you want to see any additional pictures.

• amhers104
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting.For some reason I didn't get the email. The pictures are great and I love the granite... I have been a little nervous that i made the wrong choice, but seeing all your photos has reassured me I made a great choice!!! I will definitely look at Hillcrest Tan. The Capilano Bridge looks lighter than i thought it would, but seems like you have a lot of window. I only have one window at the kitchen sink. The eat-in part of the kitchen is very open to a large step down family room that has sky lights, but doesn't really throw much light in to the kitchen area. Thanks again:)

• badgergal
    11 years ago

I sent you an email with the hardware and other info. Let me know if you don't get it and I will post here.