Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dccnm

Recut granite or replace cooktop with same unit?

dccnm
10 years ago

My 9y/o AEG induction cooktop died. Now I am stuck with the problem of 1. Enlarging my cut out to accommodate another brand (likely a Bosch 800) or 2. Getting the newer model AEG which would require no adjustments.

I loved my AEG and it did last 9 years, but I could have access to authorized repair people if needed AND be able to purchase an extended warranty if I get the Bosch.

But cutting the granite scares me. What if it gets damaged? Yes, I could make certain they were insured, but what a hassle! And then there's the mess.....

Advice? Opinions? Experience?

Comments (5)

• numbersjunkie
    10 years ago

I had to have my granite re-cut in place because things just didn't fit right based on the template. I had drawers under my cooktop and had to replace the slides because the granite dust got inside. Fortunately the cabinet people had to send a repair man to do some touch ups and he had some on hand that he gave me. Saved me a bundle since the Blum slides are expensive. But other than that it wasn't so bad.

• INXS9000RPM
    10 years ago

dccnm -

How fortunate you have been to use an AEG appliance for so many years. I would rather repair the AEG, or buy the upgrade, than try your other options (even though I do like Bosch, and its latest cooktop comes with its own pop-up downdraft (extractor).

Maybe you could try and arrange a service agreement with EuroLine Appliances out of Canada (see details below). My wife and I bought an AEG Lavamat washing machine from them in 1996. It has been in regular use ever since (17yrs) including 2 years in Brisbane, Australia when we relocated there in 2010. We're back in the US and happily still using this front loader - manufactured nearly a decade before US appliance makers even considered making front-loaders.

Over the years EuroLine has been terrific in supplying me with replacements for odd worn part. They are always there when I phone, and their technicians readily advised me how to dismantle whatever part needs replacement. Maybe 2 or 3 times over all these years!

I am not sure what service / repair calls you needed on your tired AEG, but I suspect very few, if any. Accordingly, I am not sure I would be so concerned about Repair Warranty (as opposed to Replacement Warranty) on a new replacement AEG cook-top. Unless it breaks down soon after installation (when the Replacement Warranty should be effective) I would imagine that the new AEG will give you no trouble - hopefully for 9 years.

There are 2 strategies you might consider.

1) Purchase an American Home Shield household appliance insurance & repair policy (approx $350). From my recollection, their application form is simple and does not ask any questions about the make or model of appliances you own. Thereafter, you can have any repairs / services on the new AEG performed by them. I'm sure internally, among their network of repair technicians across the whole of America (and likely subsidiaries in Europe), any technician assigned to you can get all the info they need to work on your cooktop.

2) You could call EuroLine in Canada and ask if they know of an AEG trained technician based in in USA (who may be ordering parts from Euroline). If you are lucky, Euroline may have such a techie, or maybe even a formal service office, which is reasonably close to where you live. Besides discussing the feasibility of using that local service/technician on some ad hoc basis, you might consider asking about getting your existing AEG repaired - possibly a much cheaper option.

No more ideas.

Wish you luck

In_Excess

Euro-Line Appliances (Doug Eglington)
    - Appliances 1-800-421-6332
    - Diedre (Fax) 905 829 3985
    - Parts 1-800-678-8352 : Nic Ward-Cambell
    - Telsha - Sandy (technician Jergen / Henry)
    - Fax (905) 829 3985 - Sandy

• dccnm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for your detailed post! I do/did indeed love my AEG cooktop but honestly, I think it's hard to judge since the first time you cook on induction you fall in love. Is it the cooktop itself or induction? Hard to know.

That said, there was not one issue until the morning it wouldn't turn on. Nothing--no lights, no sound. Dead. I called Euro-line who suggested I try a local repair person who is comfortable with German induction (like Bosch) and that if he had any questions at all while he was here, their service department would be happy to talk him through it (amazingly nice of them). I spoke with the local repair guy on the phone and he thought it was likely the "mother board" equivalent and suggested I talk to Euro-line's parts department first since the cost was likely prohibitive. Spoke with Euro-line again and the parts guy agreed with the likely diagnosis and said the part was near $1400! Obviously, repairing the unit was not a good decision.

Hence the mission for a new one. I am incapable of making any decision without exhaustive research (probably like most here) so that's what started the idea of looking into units that can be serviced more easily here. That lead me to the discovery that AEG is now owned by Elux who has closed down most of the German factories to save money. I THINK the cooktops are one of the few items still made in Germany but it appears that as of June 2013 that too is in jeopardy.

SO.....if I purchase another AEG, is it indeed the product that you and I love or a relabeling by Elux? If it is the same quality, it's likely fine to buy another without an extended warranty option, but if not?

I at least learned that for 2 years service IS covered even here in the US. Apparently the company will pay another dealer to repair it since they don't have authorized dealers in the US. The issue is that since its all electronic and the US' electrical system is not as stable as that in Europe, power surges can impact the mechanism and result in failure or a shorter life span.

Decisions, decisions. Nice to hear from another AEG supporter though. In 2004 there were many here on the site, but now that there are so many other options, AEG seems to be less talked about here.

• INXS9000RPM
    10 years ago

I appreciate the history behind your dilemma.

I see that Gardenweb lists several "sister" sites (at the bottom of this webpage), including GW Europe. You might try to reach out to that community to ask about the design of the new model you had considered. They should be able to advise you about its continued pedigree, improved functionality, and customer satisfaction.

As for the risks of power fluctuations, there are quite a number of commercial electric "filters" that can safeguard your replacement unit. For example, the humble home computer UPS (uninterrupted power supply) serves exactly that purpose to protect your PC. However, an electric cooktop draws a great deal more current than a PC - hence your need to shop around for a commercial version of the UPS. (I'm surprised that EuroLine did not suggest a brand/model, seeing Canada exclusively uses 240v electrics for domestic appliances. Maybe they just didn't consider it when giving you feedback on your deceased unit.)

If Euroline cannot help, then you might wish to start your search forsuch a UPS by calling your Power Utility. Technical Services there should be able to direct you to a couple of local suppliers; alternatively, your utility may stock and install such devices themselves if they have a history of having "brown-outs", where voltages fluctuate / are inconsistent. This can often happen in the morning when local commercial or industrial businesses start-up, placing a big demand on electric power as their machines are switched on. (If you happen to live near such a location, you can request (insist on) your utility to place a monitoring device in your home for a week. If the monitoring results show inconsistent voltages at your home, then the utility is responsible for providing and installing a power filter / stabilizer to rectify your power fluctuations.

Otherwise, I would risk having your countertop adjusted on site to fit your replacement cooktop. As a homeowner about to remodel a kitchen, including installing stone countertops, I have visited a lot of countertop distributors and cutting workshops (searching for off-cuts for a new bathroom vanity). One shop said it had a freelance stone cutting technician that they use themselves occasionally - on site - to correct misfits they are trying to install. I would imagine there are more..................

Hope you solve your dilemma

INXS

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I think Agent 9000 is spamming.

On the counter, I don't think someone making an adjustment like that is responsible for the risk if something goes wrong, insurance or not. Unless of course they are clearly negligent in some way. That wouldn't be very fair, really. I would check into the specifics of that if it is a premise for your decision.