Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgopp

Figured you'd like this "timeless" home.

jgopp
11 years ago

With all the talk about what is timeless in a house/kitchen on this board, there is now this contender. The writer puts "timeless" in quotes for a reason. I think it is absolutely hideous, and looks either late 1980s or early 1990s. What are your thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (34)

• chiefy
    11 years ago

no link :(

• User
    11 years ago

And I'm so curious now.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hmm that's odd maybe the forum was messed up. I'm trying this again. If it doesn't link automatically below here it is: http://www.freep.com/article/20120815/BLOG46/120815064/hosue-envy-farmington-hills-tudor?odyssey=tab:topnews:text:FRONTPAGE

Here is a link that might be useful: timeless home

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

It's quite something.

• Fori
    11 years ago

O my. And that area has so many wonderful Tudor styled homes from the 20s, why would you make a new one? Oh, I see. The old ones don't have room for all that flounce.

But. It does look like a home someone really loves and it looks REALLY clean!

Pink carpet almost always looks dirty to me!

• User
    11 years ago

Wow. It's more than I could live with, but I like it for them. That white kitchen (basement?) doesn't fit though.

• friedajune
    11 years ago

I would like the home a lot if I could rip out every single wall treatment and all the fussy curtains. The home is in a lovely setting, and I like the stone on the outside. I could really do something with those rooms if given a chance to strip them. What is up with the wall treatments? I don't think it's that it's so '80's or '90's; the wall treatments would have been unattractive then too.

• covingtoncat
    11 years ago

Man that's A LOT of wallpaper. Not my taste, but good bones and as others have said, beautiful exterior and setting.

• Tim
    11 years ago

I think they confused 'timeless' with 'stuck in time'. Gut job IMHO.

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Definite gut in kitchen and baths. But the bones and grounds are lovely.

• slonewby
    11 years ago

Looks like a Waverly ad from the 80's/90's. Soooo much wallpaper and gilded frames and odd carpet......

• selphydeg
    11 years ago

Not my style. This looks like something that belongs to a 90 year old heiress.

• sixtyohno
    11 years ago

Someone will love it and appreciate all the work that went into it, but it would never be me.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

LOL We see a lot of this type architecture in our area. We call 'em "starter castles."

• nini804
    11 years ago

Love the mauve carpet on the toilet seat in the powder room.

Amazing that a home that size could make me feel claustrophobic. Aack!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

It is a little much, isn't it?

• mamasheshe
    11 years ago

YIKES!!!!! Sensory overload. Need chocolate, or wine--FAST! The exterior is lovely, but that interior makes me edgy.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Truly timeless, in that people in every time period would think it hideous.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

It would make a great set for another "the Shining" movie. Wouldn't want to be the child who grew up in that house--too big.

• jgopp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marcolo: I love your comment. I don't think I know ANYONE who would walk into that house and think, "yeah it's perfect for me". Probably why they had to drop the price 900,000 in the last year.

• cardamon
    11 years ago

Loved the outside and the deck too. The rest creeped me out. I don't have to have that one. Yes, hideous it is

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Gosh - too bad not my style....
    But if someone handed it to me with the funds to maintain - guess I could learn to enjoy... of course if I had the funds to maintain - I could probably do a total reno...
    Maybe a lottery ticket - wait, I think I have to buy one to win - where do I buy those tickets...
    LOL but thanks!

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

Way too fancy for me. I wouldn't find it comfortable.

• mmhmmgood
    11 years ago

I'm with TO Tim and marcolo. Clearly timeless has an entirely different meaning to this realtor.

Seriously. Sensory overload. Except for the one relatively un-fussy bathroom and the one almost fun kids room.

• babs711
    11 years ago

One of the comments says it was built 23 years ago. It looks to me to be at least that old or older.

Between the hunter green, mauve, raised tub and all the wall paper and colored carpeting (was that a carpeted bathroom or really dark tile) it screams dated.

• Dando
    11 years ago

The wallpaper is my favorite.

• davidro1
    11 years ago

image 12 has wallpaper with unicorns and rabbits lifted from la dame a la licorne; that same French tapestry that thousands have copied year after year.

trees are not big enough.

hydronic heat or air?

kitchen needs more lighting.

• colin3
    11 years ago

Is that a moat?

• shelayne
    11 years ago

Wow, that is stunning!

I would naturally remove all the wallpaper and mauve carpeting, and make several cosmetic changes, but the bones of the house, and the exterior and grounds are wonderful!

Someone will fall in love with what that house could very easily be! I so want to see the "after" pics! ;)

• zeebee
    11 years ago

Um. Not for me. I bought a house with that level of heavy Victorian wallpaper, curtains and lighting with lots of dark green and maroon paint, but it also had old-house bones: woodwork, moldings, original ceiling medallions, plaster walls. I'm not liking the great-room-centric McMansion "bones" of this one.

• KristinF2012
    11 years ago

They could spend 200K removing the wallpaper, updating the paint colors, storing all the personal items/staging the home, adding wood blinds/plantation shutters (and burning the current window treatments) and the house would probably sell for 500k more than its listed for. The kitchen isn't even THAT bad if you get rid of the wallpaper! I actually adore the house & grounds but the decor is far too busy!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

It is timeless in that you would never guess that it was decorated in this century. I really love the exterior though!

• lwerner
    11 years ago

"Timeless." You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means....

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: Obligatory meme

• kathleencam
    11 years ago

Yikes is right. The wallpaper made me dizzy. You could turn it into a hotel or something. It would be fun to rip out those flounces and start over.