Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
batchgw

Standard Depth FD Fridge in CD Space?

batchgw
11 years ago

Buying a new construction condo and looking for a fridge. Found a great deal on a Whirlpool SD French Door fridge (the one with the separate drawer).

Its about $400 more to get a smaller, CD French Door. Attaching a few pics - note that the space between the island and the other side is actually pretty wide (it just looks narrow).

The cabinet is 24 inches deep. The wall to the right is 38.5 inches. The fridge would not extend past the wall.

Would a SD fridge look horrible?

Comments (12)

• batchgw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a close up

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I know it just hurts to pay more for something that is actually smaller but it just is so much better functioning in the long run. I had a regular depth fridge and it hung out of the space and just looked so clunky not to mention it blocked part of the aisle and was a bit of a nuisance. When we finally got a new refrigerator I was adamant about getting the counter depth and one that was a bit taller which turned out to be either a Kitchen Aid or a Jenn-air. OMG it is soooo much better. I don't miss the larger refrigerator at all. We had a side by side and now we have a french door. I love how you can get wider things in it and it's not like putting something nearly on the floor where you will never remember it's even in the refrigerator as I did with the sxs. I truly detested that thing.

I must say it took some getting used to having the freezer on the bottom and if you have a large family this will never do. If you have a second freezer or refrigerator though it's perfect. I love it. Frankly I'd rather have a single door on top with the drawers on the bottom but then you are getting into Subzero and it was out of my budget. BTW we didn't get the ice on the door so that there would be more room for storage inside and also because that's usually the first thing that breaks on a fridge. We never used it anyway, it does dispense cold water just inside the fridge though. I think the counter depth is great, YMMV.

• eam44
    11 years ago

"Would a SD fridge look horrible?"

Yep.

Which is to say, you have a lovely, thoughtfully laid out kitchen. Putting the wrong appliance in it is going to make it look unplanned, thrown together, ordinary. That fridge is going to stick out like buck teeth on a pretty girl. Invest in orthodonture.

• beeps
    11 years ago

Laughing at EAM's analogy...

I'd go counter depth in your beautiful new space. But horrible? Maybe just awkward.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

A FD would make the refrigerator cabinets less accessible too.

• batchgw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all - in my research I've found that when the fridge is towards the end of the kitchen a Standard Depth is less of an issue but you guys raise some good points - esp around access to the top cabinet!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I fought the full vs counter depth battle in my kitchen and lost to DH and the architect and ended up paying a lot more money for a lot less refrigeration space. I admit it looks better, but function wise it was a sacrifice. For some reason, the extra space behind the fridge so it could be full depth and recessed in the wall never happened.

Anyway, I finally helped solve the issue with a separate compact fridge that I bought for dirt cheap (back to college sale) that we put downstairs off the patio area....works well for serving at parties and I can shut it off when not in use so it saves energy. But any time I'm faced with a big round platter, it's still a challenge.

• willtv
    11 years ago

Whatever you choose to do, make sure you have enough space to open the right side door sufficiently to accommodate the removal of the fridge drawers.

• batchgw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just to close this thread and for anyone in the future with the same problem...We ended up sticking with the CD fridge and it looks fine to us!

• springroz
    11 years ago

That is a beautiful condo!! I know I speak for everyone......We NEED to see the rest of it!!

Nancy

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

We ended up sticking with the CD fridge and it looks fine to us!

Is that correct as written? Both the tone of your comment and your pictures suggest you used a standard depth fridge, but I cannot tell with certainty. Would you mind clarifying?

• batchgw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops, you are right - I meant Standard Depth!