Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heathermisme_gw

What type of finish on knobs, handles, & lights in oak kitchen?

heathermisme
14 years ago

If you've read my other post, you may know that I'm trying to refresh my kitchen. It has that 90s oak cabinetry. What type of finish looks best with oak? I have a brushed nickel(?) faucet, a white drop-in sink, and plan to put in some type of tan/brown granite look laminate. Floors will be stone looking tile I think - definitely no hardwood for now. Would brushed nickel look good? Or would I be better off with an oil rubbed bronze look? Anything else?

This is not my "forever" kitchen, so I'm trying not to sink a lot of money into it right now. Just want a somewhat cohesive/put together look for the next few years. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!!

Comments (8)

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Our previous kitchen remodel was in the mid 90s with a light oak cabinet. We chose to go colorful and used pulls that matched our formica and Kohler sink... a medium jade I believe. Was a great look that helped to break up that oak wall of cabinets.

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

I replaced brass pulls and knobs at my weekend lake place with something very close to black - it's pretty much black but with a little silvery/pewter in it. I really like the black. Someone had posted photos here of new black hardware on oak and that inspired me to do the same. Here are a couple photos.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

I really like the black, it looks great. I also think oil rubbed bronze looks good with oak. I have nickel with oak in my bathrooms and like it, but it isn't as big an area as a kitchen.

• tinycastles
    14 years ago

The last house we owned was built in the 90's by the previous owners and was very "oak" heavy. That reddish gold oak to be exact. Oak cabinets, oak flooring, oak trim, very large oak trimmed fluorescent light fixture over the island, and to top it off they had an oak dining table in the kitchen! Gold fruity hardware throughout.

Anyways, we purchased new SS appliances with our wedding money and changed the hardware to Oil Rubbed Bronze which looked SO much better with the cabinets. The cabinets were beautifully done with a wonderful crown molding but unfortunately with the oak explosion in the kitchen they really went unappreciated.

That being said, my vote is for ORB or black:)

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

I don't know what ORB looks like, but I love the black on gibby3000's cabinets. I will be making the same decision about hardware to go with oak cabinets.

• heathermisme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the help! I haven't been on here too long, but I'm so appreciative of this site and all the helpful people!

earthpal - that's an interesting idea. Since I think I'm now planning to do a black laminate counter, I think black handles would probably work well.

gibby - thanks for the pics. Really helpful!

happyladi - would you happen to have a pic of your bathroom?

tinycastles - I was wondering how ORB would look w/ my stainless appliances. You wouldn't happen to have a picture, would you?

Thanks again for the help!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

my sister has silver tone pulls on hers (pewterish maybe) and it looks great in her kitchen with SS etc.

I'm planning on the same cabs (so far) and will use ORB (oil rubbed bronze).

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022