Peke
10 years ago

Here is my Sea Pearl island.

Comments (94)

• foodonastump
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

First off, gorgeous stone!

For that kind of money I wouldn't put up with those seams. What's the plan for the backsplash? I'm thinking most anything would cover the gap, or could be made to. But the seams are another story.

I'm new to this kitchen stuff but I don't understand the concern about installing it as one piece. My main piece of granite is 117.5" with a 58" el, all standard depth, no seams. There was no mention of this being a problem. The hardest part was finding a slab I liked long enough because I was insistent on no seam. Three guys carried it in with some sort of braces clamped to the sink area.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to ask something.

How far from the backsplash wall does the counter slab go? He left 1/4" on one side and 9/16" gap on the other side of the sink.

Shouldn't it be flush against the wall?
    Doesn't the backsplash sit on the slab?
    Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bump

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Mine was flush against all walls.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Mine is really close to the wall, I don't think a half inch gap is acceptable but Old Ryder would know, hopefully he will see this.

I was wondering how things went today with the fabricator. Did you get any answers?

• angela12345
    10 years ago

Mine was as much as maybe 1/4" in some places. I wasn't too thrilled with it even being that much.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I had no gap at all between the slab and the wall. Good thing, because I did not want backsplash tile anywhere except behind my cooktop. And you are correct the backsplash tiles do rest on the counter top.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fabricator hasn't called yet. I left another message today that said we needed to get this resolved before the second reserved slab is sold.

peke

• mjocean
    10 years ago

Peke,
    Gorgeous stone. I hope your fabricator does right by you. best of luck.
    MJM

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

"Trying to work granite with residential electric power on portable equipment would be futile."

Sorry, but it can be done. Our fabricator did the cutouts for our farmhouse sink, gas cooktop and around a column inside our house, using a handheld electric grinder fitted with a diamond blade. A shop vac collected most of the dust. They then polished the edges with another handheld electric tool. While we didn't like having to clean up the remaining granite dust, I would have rather them done it this way than risking breaking the slabs in transport or install.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Wow Peke, it sounds like he is just hoping you go away. He is being irresponsible and it could end up costing him more in the long run if he doesn't take care of your issues. We are all pulling for you!

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

I'm a little late to this party. Peke, so sorry you are going through this.

My slabs were measured electronically and they still managed to mess up a bit on the installation and the overhang is a bit different on one side of the range than the other. With the free standing range installed, it is not noticeable, so I let it go. It bothered me for a few days when I first discovered it, but I've gotten over it. And EVERYTHING bothers me!

I do not have a seam at my sink and the slab on that wall is quite long. They put some sort of reinforcement on the front and back of the sink cut out. I believe OldRyder posted about this sort of reinforcement on a previous thread.

I do hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I started another post to get OldRyder's take on the issues. We are all in agreement. It is bad.
    Here is what I posted about our meeting today in the post with OldRyder.

No, we didn't plan on putting a tile backsplash on an oak cabinet. We also didn't plan on putting tile on until maybe next year. I told the owner of the fabrication place that before he drew it out. So a 1/2" + gap is going to let water and other things spill down the gaps.

I told him over and over that I did not want a seam. He wouldn't listen to me. The slab had already been paid for and delivered to him. Two weeks later when measuring it out at my house was when he started the arguing. He promised I would not see the seam.

He sent the young man who does the cutting to our house today to "fix" the problems and seams. The owner should have been here. The young man was very honest with,us. He told us that the owner said to make all these excuses...that didn't happen. Just like he told us our cabinets were not square. That is why the cut was off. Not true. He lied and made everything sound like it was everyone else's fault. He told the guy to lie again today.

So nothing was done today because we think the whole sink counter needs replaced. He told the young man to tell us that we could buy a second slab so he could fix it.
    Unbelievable!

We had reserved two stones, but told him that if we could only use one slab it would be wonderful. But we told him that if we couldn't do it with one slab he was to call us.

Here is what he did. He drew the pieces on the stone and drew them wrong on purpose so he would only use one stone. He did not measure wrong.

Our island is on crooked and is 95" long on one side and 94 1/2" long on the other. The overhang is 1/2" on the left and 1" on the right. And it is the reverse on the other side. So it is sideways a little. I don't mind the small amount of overhang, but it should be on straight.

I am so glad you agree with me about the gaps and seams.

We told the young man that the owner would have to buy the slab himself and do it correctly and without seams. We reminded him that he bumps up the price of every
    slab he sells just for that reason.

The ball is in the shop owner's court.....Peke
    Thanks for your advice. I will keep you posted.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I'm sorry. You probably need to start thinking of contingency plans: what will you do if he does not suddenly become a conscientious, honorable business owner who does the right thing? Do you have money, or other leverage via the BBB, stoneyard, social media, consumer protection/advocacy groups, etc? Can the other slab be transferred to fabricator who has experience with quartzite and a different set of ethics?

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Pete,
    I am so sorry you are having this trouble. Because I've been following your tale, I gaze at the lovely sea pearl in every granite yard. I too am in love with the quartzite. One store sells and fabricates (won't deal with KDs), and gave me best price. The "but" is he has called a few times and I think that while people who have used him have been very satisfied, he would be tough to deal with if a problem ensued. So, I shelled out $1000 more to go with a place where KD deals with and his fabricator of 18 years. Only on GW, would people think I'm not crazy. (By the way, it is a different quartz, one that matches my kitchen far better.)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Peke, I just hope this knothead makes things right. IMO, he sounds very unethical. He raised his price on you several times, he has lied to you, and has done a crappy job on a stunning slab.

If you haven't paid yet I would call him and nicely but clearly state that there will be no payment until the job is done to your satisfaction. It always pays to be nice (at first) until he proves his refusal to make it right for you. Then you may have to go to the BBB and social media. Hopefully you can reason with him. A reasonable person would see that the seams are not done correctly.

I feel sick to my stomach at the thought of a fabricator making such a mess out of a beautiful stone like that.

Good luck Peke, I will be sending good thoughts and prayers your way for a good resolution to your situation.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No news yet. I hope my fabricator does the right thing. He is the only one around here except for the ones who fabricate out of their trucks. I have to drive a half hour to his business. All the other shops are 1 1/2 - 2 hours away.

He definitely wasn't the cheapest either.

Thanks. Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally heard from the fabricator.....an email. He states that he has the other slab on hold and will fix the counter in September.

On the counter he is replacing, I have a stain already. It looks like grease spots. Any thoughts how to get the oil out?

Also, when they brought the island slab in I saw this green stuff....maybe epoxy...in the top of the slab. I know it wasn't there before. Is it possible that when they worked on the brushed side they did something to make it appear?

In the picture it looks more brown, but IRL it is green....an ugly green.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another picture of the green junk. It is really shiny compared to the brushed countertops.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Oh my, I'm so sorry, Peke! Perhaps it is best that you get an opportunity to figure this out before a fabrication re-do, I hope you get some good answers! Is the slab porous? When you wet it, does it look different (for how long)?

• chrissyb2411
    10 years ago

Any chance you can take your second slab and find a different fabricator? Based on this guys behaviour so far I would hesitate to let him anywhere near another piece of expensive granite.

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

This isn't a material that can suffer from "green bloom" that I once read about? I feel so badly that you are going through this with your gorgeous countertops.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I was going to guess green bloom too. Kellinoelle had it last year and was able to remove it. You might start a thread on green bloom because I can't find her post that talked about the "fix". Someone will know.

• angela12345
    10 years ago

May flowers, is it one of these threads ?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.google.com/search?q=green+bloom+granite+site:Gardenweb.com

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Yes, thank you. It's in the update thread. Oven cleaner and a blow torch!!

• angela12345
    10 years ago

I was just reading those threads. I had never heard of such a thing. Also picked up a good tip on how to repair chips in your granite yourself.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Peke, you said you live a long way from other fabricators and possibly stone yards if I recall. So i fully understand your desire to make this work.

I hope you don't mind my suggesting that between the seam and cut problems and now the apparent island quartzite green bloom (which makes me wonder about your fabricators storage facility), that you consider stop working with this fabricator and write a letter asking for full refund of monies.

It seems every piece of Sea Pearl brought into your house has had problems and I don't see this situation getting better. Can you really trust someone who did such a poor job with seams and side cut to do a greatly improved job the second time around? Quartzite is a tough rock and needs a very experienced fabricator as well as many saws and tools of the trade. Not the job for a novice twenty year old, instructed by the fabricator boss. It almost sounds like the boss didn't wish to attempt the job of cutting himself less he, with his license in the trade mess up, but is more than willing to accept a very hefty payment. Is this similar to a bait (accepting the rock and the job) and switch (handing off the job)?

I would elicit help from your local Better Business Bureau as my first step. Designed to help in situations such as yours, combined with your receipts, written statement of events, photos etc, they might be able to bring this to a happier conclusion for you. Granted it may mean picking a different stone/rock etc and different fabricator and being patiently creative in the interim in your kitchen. Your cabinets, appliances, lighting etc shows real design beauty on your part. We all are sorry for your troubles.

I wouldn't worry about your fabricator. A licensed business has insurance, bonding etc and can take a loss from time to time. This is a serious situation: there must be a better countertop solution for you. Continuing to work with your fabricator suggests a degree of sustained confidence with him when in reality, your photos and story suggests otherwise.

I truly hope you don't mind my frank speaking up. I would say the same to anyone here on GW or elsewhere.

I hope this may help you in some way to a resolution favoring your beautiful kitchen, your expense on countertops, your time and frustration. I know Garden Web will stand behind you with wonderfully helpful insight.

-SW

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SW -no problem. That's why we all ask for opinions...to get other people's perspectives. Thank you!

I found a picture of someone else's granite with green bloom. I don't think that is the issue.

The ugly green seems like it is inside a crack. That is why I thought it was epoxy or something. The fabricator tried to scratch it out with a razor blade.

The head fabricator is the twenty something guy. He told us the truth about everything.

I feel that they deserve one chance to make it right. If it is still bad, I will ask for a refund.

Here is one picture of green bloom. Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SW -no problem. That's why we all ask for opinions...to get other people's perspectives. Thank you!

I found a picture of someone else's granite with green bloom. I don't think that is the issue.

The ugly green seems like it is inside a crack. That is why I thought it was epoxy or something. The fabricator tried to scratch it out with a razor blade.

The head fabricator is the twenty something guy. He told us the truth about everything.

I feel that they deserve one chance to make it right. If it is still bad, I will ask for a refund.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:1940802}}

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Peke, thanks for taking my post as an attempt at a helping hand. Sounds like you have the plan.

Has your fabricator told you what he thinks the green is?

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SW, no he hasn't. It is in what I think is a crack....in several places. It almost looks like the old avocado appliance color. Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I received an email from the fabricator asking me to call him. The other slab was delivered to the fabricator today. So it looks like he is going to fix it. Will post when I know. Peke

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Peke's - that is great news!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Peke, I so hope that you get this taken care of to your satisfaction. Your kitchen is so beautiful, the slab is gorgeous, and when it all comes together and is installed correctly it will be a knock out!

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Measuring for sink template this afternoon!

Peke

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Peke:
    Hoping that your problems are well on the way to getting resolved. I am sure you feel like this has gone on for a long time and that you are ready to be done with all of the issues related to your kitchen reno! Wishing you luck!

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So many problems with this remodel.

Countertop is no longer one of the problems.

New countertop and NO seams. Peke

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Gorgeous Peke! Just what we all wanted for you.

• swfr
    10 years ago

Oh, hooray!!!! Looks just as fabulous as it should. So glad you were able to get exactly what you deserved.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I'm so glad you fought for what you deserve!

Was there a conclusion about the green on the island, and I missed it?

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Hurray! Thanks for posting a happy ending! Congratulations on having the confidence and persistence to get this right.

• localeater
    10 years ago

Hooray. It looks lovely. I am so happy for you and so glad you let us all know how it turned out!

• msrose
    10 years ago

Looks great! Have you picked out a backsplash?

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

What a relief!!! Happy to hear your counter install has a better ending. I really does look beautiful - I love the satin finish.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I'm so glad you got a good outcome. It looks beautiful! Congrats!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

It's absolutely beautiful! Congrats to you...the photo is delicious. It makes me want to rub my hands all over it, it looks so satiny. I know the remodel was a bit horrendous and gut-wrenching, but it looks beautiful.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Peke, I am so happy for you! The counter is absolutely exquisite. I am just so happy that you persisted in your quest for a beautiful topping for your lovely cabs. You now have the perfect setting for your "precious".

• romy718
    10 years ago

Peke, your counters are beautiful. It must be such a relief to have the damaged counters gone & beautiful counters in place. We were all pulling for you!

• rkb21
    10 years ago

It looks great! I'm so glad they came through for you end in the end!