Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 18:55

Here is my Sea Pearl island.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sea Pearl installed

Peke, your island is DREAMY! Love it!

o

They messed up when measuring I guess. I bet they measured the length on the front part of the count, but didn't measure the back. So the counter was not square.
They should have measured both.

So they had to fill it in with some epoxy and some of the dust from the cutting. It is 1/4" wide.

o

This is the edge where they seamed it.

o

Top of the seam

o

Back of sink seam

o

I kept the brushed side up. I love the texture.

I am so glad it is installed, even though I am not happy with the 1/4" gap and the seam.

Now to start looking for the backsplash and paint.
Peke

o

I took this picture standing on a ladder so you can see the colors better.

It has a pale green tint to it, but I can't even tell you what color green it is.

Peke

o

I hope others weigh in here and I'm far from a granite expert and I'm really sorry to say this...but this installation would be unacceptable to me. The seaming at the sink and that big gap at the back and side of your counter look very sloppy to me. I would talk to the owner/manager of the fabricator shop.....search the Internet for good examples of seams and the backs and sides of counters and show them the difference.

o

Oh, I just want to reach out and touch it! That is a gorgeous piece of stone.

o

Peke, your sea pearl is gorgeous and the brushed finish goes beautifully with your cabinets! Can't wait to see what you come up with for backsplash.

o

Joanie, I know. I am not happy. I told him when he left. He said, "help me out here. Can't you put a piece of molding there? Can you bring the backsplash around the corner on the wood cabinet?"

When I told him they probably measured wrong he blamed everyone else....plumber who installed the sink and cabinet maker.

Plumber came this morning to put in the faucet and he saw it right off. He measured it and the cabinet was square. The fabricator just flat measured wrong when he drew it on the slab. Then the fabricator didn't check and just cut it. Fabricator was about 20. Owner did the drawing. The front of the slab is 101" and the back is 100 3/4 ".

So now that I know it IS their fault, I called them today and left a message for the owner. I feel bad for him, but he charged me more for the slab in case they messed it up and charged me more for fabricating. That is why they charge more....so they can redo it if they mess up, right?

You know for $6400.00 + I expect it to be done right. This was a professional company that has a business.....not just a guy out of a truck.

Ok, so here is my next question.

Do they have to make a seam at the sink? Why can't they just cut the hole out and leave the front strip and back strip?

They didn't have to cut it at the sink. The piece was long enough. They CHOSE to cut it because they were worried about it breaking.

Do I accept it as it is? Peke

Gigi, and kks, I keep rubbing it like it is a magic lamp.

o

Even if everything was measured perfectly, the cut and epoxy color could be a lot better. Did you approve that cut at the sink ahead of time?

I know you spent a lot of time talking with Karin, but Oldryder as a fabricator is a great resource too. He explains sink seams in this post.

Here is a link that might be useful: seams

This post was edited by may_flowers on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 19:58

o

Peke - that sea pearl is delicious but it sure needs some help with the seams and the back.
I feel so fortunate that after our humpty dumpty incident that round 2 was perfect.
Hope you get some resolution to this issue.

o

May, I just found that post and asked OldRyder a question. Thanks,

a2, I hate to complain about the counters. I told him I didn't like it over and over. He just kept saying I would not see the seams at the sink. Peke

o

Oh Peke, the Sea Pearl is glorious but the seams are, imo, bad. Honestly I think he should redo it, I have no clue how seams that wide can be fixed.My granite guys really mismatched my granite. They did it over again and now it looks great.

Old Ryder will be honest with you as to if it is good or not but I think the seams look really bad and you have a lot of time and money invested in your gorgeous kitchen.

I think you should call and politely tell the owner it is unacceptable. Spell out exactly what you want them to do to make it right and be firm. I hope I am not out of line criticizing their work but you and your beautiful kitchen deserve better.

o

You are paying $6400 and he has the audacity to ask you to help him out just put moulding up.....that's simply outrageous! And they charged you more in case they screw up? If they hadn't screwed up would that extra charge be credited back to you.? I really hope you get some good advice from old Ryder on how to proceed....they need to redo the counter at their expense I think. The island looks fine and I love the slabs. I'm so sorry you have this battle to deal with...good luck...let us know how it all turns out.

o

Oh my gosh, it is so gorgeous!! Your island is to die for.

I am really sorry about the seams. I'll be watching this to see what you do & how & if you get it resolved.

I am totally unexperienced and following along with you & reading others' posts might hopefully help me avoid a situation like this in my near future. But, no matter how prepared you are, these things can happen and I just don't really understand how you get it resolved once it does.

I know how expensive Sea Pearl is(bc I am dying to get it & trying to cut costs elsewhere to fit it in) so I see 2 problems...you paid a fortune & deserve to have it right. However, what possible resolution is there other than them ripping it out, getting a new slab and re-doing it? That will cost them a fortune and I imagine they will fight tooth & nail to avoid that. I am working without a KD and barely a GC so if this happens to me I bet theres no way 'little old me' could convince them to just cut into a new slab and redo it for me.

I hope you get it resolved to your liking, at least a little money back in your pocket.

But try not to worry about it. The counter is beautiful and really, of course it doesn't look great blown up in a close up picture, but once your kitchens back together I really bet it won't bother you, just enjoy that gorgeous counter!

o

Peke,

You spent tremendous amount of time, effort and money on the counter top. Your Sea Pearl is a stunning beauty, but I cannot say the same about these seams.

What does it mean "help me out here"? Ask him who would help Peke out?

I would ask them to redo it, or refund labor and material so that you could re-order slab and find another fabricator.

A side note, reading postings on this site, it seems having a beautifully done counter top for the first time is a rare case. Most folks here had problems with slab yards or/and fabricators. It is so unfair and so unjustifiable. We are planning for two more bathrooms and kitchen, the thought of getting these counter tops done just paralyzing me.

o

That is a gorgeous stone. I love those brushed finishes. So sad about the fabrication issues. Hope you can work something out. It's so frustrating and disappointing. Amazing how often these things happen!

o

Peke I love that stone. I too would stand there rubbing the beautiful texture awaiting an answer.

There seems to be so many problems with stone installs I'm afraid to do one for my next home. I absolutely love yours and would be thrifty on everything else just to have your Sea Pearl, but all of these crappy fabricators and poor customer service really gets me. It would have to be pretty close to perfect for me to enjoy it. We may just pick something like soapstone we can DIY.

I'm crossing my fingers you can get this resolved and your other projects are coming along. I'm really pulling for you Peke.

o

Peke, how did you select your fabricator? Does your GC have a prior relationship with them? If so, the GC should take this up with the fabricator and make sure they redo the whole thing. Everything about what they did is sloppy.

Our fabricator took measurements electronically, and had special software that allowed me to see all of the cuts and seams ahead of time laid out on my slabs. I went to their shop and worked on the layout with them until I had seams that I was happy with. With the software, I was able to see exactly how the seams would match up on my selected slabs, which is critical for stones that have a lot of linear movement. And if the color shifts from one part of the slab to another, that can affect the look of the seam as well. I think if possible you should find a fabricator like mine, since it allows you to have some degree of control over the end result.

o

I'm going to follow this too because I feel like you should be able to demand better. I'd love to hear what you decide to do. I know it is an expensive mistake, but it is most definitely THEIR expensive mistake, so I vote that it's on them to fix it. I hope they realize that and do what is honorable.
You picked a gorgeous slab. I'm sorry that the installation is making it so bittersweet.

o

Do they have to make a seam at the sink? Why can't they just cut the hole out and leave the front strip and back strip?

Because it WILL break when they try to move it, and then you have to worry about patching it. People think of stone as "indestructible", but it's brittle and can't flex. A narrow strip like that, especially one weakened by a hole in it, is extremely vulnerable to deflection stresses.

As for the seaming - it looks like they had a dull saw and it chewed its way through the slab instead of slicing. Some stone is more likely to chip at the edges than others, but that's pretty ragged.

o

Peke,

I would love to know more about the color of sea pearl. The green in it is what initially steered me away as I was hoping for more grey undertones to go with a grey/blue backsplash. Since you have it there in person what are your thoughts on the color, would it go with that color? I love the look of the stone in your kitchen. Sorry the installation isn't 100% what you had hoped for, I'm hoping the fabricator fixes it.

o

"Because it WILL break when they try to move it ",

Is it ture that "cutting seams first and then transporting" the only way to go? Could it be done differently such as making the final cuts onsite?

Hope Oldryder will share his insights; as I recall, Sea Pearl is quartizite that may be more sturdy to be handled.

This post was edited by azmom on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 17:25

o

Gorgeous stone!

o

Peke - Every time I have something done, it seems like I'm never completely happy and I don't consider myself a picky person. I stressed so much over how my seams would turn out, because I've seen so many people on here that are unhappy with theirs. I got lucky with mine. I would take a picture, but I honestly don't think you would be able to see it in the picture. The two pieces of granite are so close that I can't see any epoxy. I've seen a lot of seems at the sink, but I don't have them. They did put one behind my stove though, because it was such a narrow strip. I was all ready to see your potential backsplash choices, so I'm sorry you're having to deal with this first. The Sea Pearl is gorgeous.

o

The Sea Pearl is absolutely delicious--- and I love, love, love the texture! Great choice on your part. What a dreamy, soothing grey/ green. I can't offer any wisdom on the seam issue... I am about 8 weeks from having my Alabama White marble slab installed and I am already biting my nails hoping it all goes smoothly. The fabricator told me they can do it with NO seams. That's how they got my business. I really hope they don't change their tune come template day. I hope your situation gets resolved. I know you are anxious to enjoy your beautiful kitchen.

o

azmonm Is it true that "cutting seams first and then transporting" the only way to go? Could it be done differently such as making the final cuts onsite?

Nope. Have you seen the size of the saw it takes to cut granite? And seen the size of the dust control equipment and the water-cooling equipment to keep the blades from overheating and melting? The stuff is ginormous! And it requires a industrial-sized power lines to make it move.

Trying to work granite with residential electric power on portable equipment would be futile.

If you want genuine stone, you have to accept the limitations of working it. There are size limits on slabs and there are limits on how narrow any piece can be (varies with the kind of granite).

And you have to make sure you know what the limitations are and work with the fabricator.

If you can't live with a seam at the sink, get a full-depth sink. If you absolutely want a certain swirl on your island, make sure you have approval after templating and before cutting.

o

Really gorgeous stone. You must be thrilled. I was unhappy with my sink seam and contacted the KD who contacted the owner of the fabrication company. In my case, the installers are different workers than the actual fabricator who cut & laminated my stone. They had the "expert fabricator" come to my home & fix my sink seam. Reading other GW seam issues and seeing them get resolved reduced my anxiety & gave me the confidence to make sure they fixed it.

o

Forgot to mention that they cut the sink hole at the shop, but they cut the holes for the faucet onsite.

o

Peke, your stone is really breathtaking. Wow.

As a die-hard marble lover, I am being swayed by your sea pearl. I can see why you wanted it.

Best of luck with the seam issue. Please let us know what happens!

o

Peke - Maybe he thinks you have cataracts if he thinks you can't see it!
Looking for a swift resolution to the problem for you.

o

Uther, there is a granite called White Lightening at Bedrock International website. They may have spelled it wrong. lightENing doesn't look right. Anyway it looks like marble to me. White with gray veins. Maybe you can find it near you. Pacific Shores would charge $200 if I requested a slab from another location. They said the money would go toward the slab if i bought it or another slab from them. if not, i would lose the $200. Maybe other places do that.

msrose, they cut my faucet holes on site too. I wonder if they could do a partial cut out....then finish it on site.

romy, thanks. The fabricator is supposed to call me next week.

belle, yes, i got the "sales" talk too. No seams needed...$40sf, then $45, then after they cut it, the bill said $50.00 sf. I hope your fabricator does what he tells you. I had to pay for the whole slab, then waited for him to cut it. I demanded to see the layout. He said it would hold him up and that he would have workers on the clock not working if they had to wait for my approval. I made them wait. They left my house and I went straight to
their shop. The layout was good. No seams marked. Then they cut seams.
azmom and dilly, thanks!

lmsscs, I can't describe the green color. There is no Crayola color that matches it. LOL Some of the Sea Pearl quartzite is really light green...maybe a celadon or celery color. This slab looked blue gray while other Sea Pearl slabs look green gray. The green in mine sometimes doesn't show at all. I see mostly gray and blue gray. Mostly gray, but I am planning on using blue gray tiles....

lazygardens, it thought it was from a dull saw blade too. They said they would have it cut in one day. I asked if they had ever cut quartzite. They said no. I told them it was harder to cut than granite. They started on Friday and didn't get finished until Tuesday night.

swfr, I agree. It is their mistake. Plus that is why we can't get the price of a slab from the stoneyard. The fabricator ups the price of the slab in case of mistakes. If no mistakes they keep the markup. On average they should not have many mistakes. I have no problem with any of that, but they clearly made mistakes. Now they want me to take it as is.

Soibean, my fabricator was recommended by three stoneyards probably because he buys a lot of stone from them. The next choice was 2 hours away from us. No electronic drawing or measuring. It looked like he used liquid paper but it probably wasn't. It was a pen type tool. He used mineral spirits to clean it off.

Snookums, I love brushed and leathered finishes too. They are pretty in a subdued sort of way. I don't think they are pretty at first glance of my kitchen, but if you look at it for a while you begin to see subtle colors and patterns. My Sea Pearl doesn't have much movement compared to other Sea Pearl slabs.

Iowa,,we only had 66 square feet of fabrication. We spent way too much to have bad cuts.

homebuyer, it is just us doing the remodeling. I have no idea what will happen next, but I will give it my best shot.

joanie, It is the most expensive thing in my kitchen. My American Range Double Hybrid Oven didn't cost as much. Slab was $2562.53 and fabrication was $4090.00 so it was actually $6652.53 and only 66 sf total.

holly, you are not out of line. I have no idea what he will say Monday, but I will do my best to convince him to redo it.

I know you all wish me luck with the fabricator. I will post when it is resolved.

Here is a better picture of the gap and where he wanted me to put molding. He wanted to put the molding from the upper cabinet down to the gap then back to the backsplash. Or he said to bring backsplash around to cover the oak and the gap.

o

lmsscs, i googled shades of the color green. shadesofgreen.facts.co

On the light green areas (which i see only in a certain light) it looks like laurel green but lighter. Beryl and tea green are too bright or dark.

On the darker green (in a certain light) it looks like Mignonette or Camoflauge Green, but lighter.
i know this won't help much. When i have,time i will drop by a paint store and find paint strips.

o

it also has cream, white, and golden brown in it. The polished side shows the green more....actually all colors are more vivid. here is a picture of my slab....one polished and one brushed.

the brushed side was prettier before the fabricator touched it. it got darker as he used his tools. it was already brushed. I don't know why he did anything to it. Then it darkened when he put the sealer on it.

o

Stain test from brushed side. As is from stone yard. I am guessing they brushed it but didn't put sealer on it.

My slab has sealer on it, but the two stain tests don't.

i put lemon juice, tobasco, mustard, red wine vinegar, and red Kool-aid on it. The mustard and tobasco did not wash off. There is a faint pink blotch where the kool-aid was.

peke

o

Polished side stain test. Tobasco sauce and red kool-aid were the only ones that stained. The kool aid was the worst stain with the polished and the tobasco was the worst with the brushed side.

Straight from stone yard. No sealer. I am going to ask the fabricator if he can seal a small piece of scrap so i can test it.

if he is still speaking to me. LOL Peke

o

lazygardens,

You asked "Have you seen the size of the saw it takes to cut granite?" - Certainly, I have seen stone cutting machines, work benches, equipments and set up on a few fabricating places. They are different depending on how modern the facility is. They even gave me a tour on one site.

Doing final cuts or smaller cuts onside should not be anything new, it was being mentioned by our upcoming remodel projects' contractor. Also please see Msrose' posting regarding cutting holes for her faucet onsite.

Peke, keep us posted, wish you a quick and satisfied resolution.

o

In a previous remodel, they cut one section of the granite too short. Rather than having you put molding by the wood cabinet, or extendyour BS around the side, perhaps they could provide the typical 4" granite BS for along the wood cabinet. That is what they did for me, and it looked good, covered the goof, and was actually helpful in protecting the cabinet from splashes, etc.

o

Peke - this is the first that I opened this post. Such a gorgeous stone with lovely texture. And such a horrible shame that the fabricator messed it up so much. :(Fingers crossed for a good resoltuion for you.

o

What a beautiful counter top!

I really hope that it all works out for you. We had a crack in our granite, along with a few other mishaps. Luckily, our fabricator was willing to work with us and made it right. I hope that yours does, too.

o

I wouldn't want to put anything on the cabinet because if you change things down the road, the cabinet will be damaged underneath. I know, this is forever, but you just never know.

o

Peke, I'm so sorry you're going through all of this stress on such an important (and expensive) issue. I'll be following the thread and keeping you in my thoughts for a good resolution.
Just an FYI, my Orca sink required a zero radius. The installer had his best craftsman do the sink cut out on site, and the result was perfect. The counter tops are granite.

o

First off, gorgeous stone!

For that kind of money I wouldn't put up with those seams. What's the plan for the backsplash? I'm thinking most anything would cover the gap, or could be made to. But the seams are another story.

I'm new to this kitchen stuff but I don't understand the concern about installing it as one piece. My main piece of granite is 117.5" with a 58" el, all standard depth, no seams. There was no mention of this being a problem. The hardest part was finding a slab I liked long enough because I was insistent on no seam. Three guys carried it in with some sort of braces clamped to the sink area.

o

I forgot to ask something.

How far from the backsplash wall does the counter slab go? He left 1/4" on one side and 9/16" gap on the other side of the sink.

Shouldn't it be flush against the wall?
Doesn't the backsplash sit on the slab?
Peke

o

bump

o

Mine was flush against all walls.

o

Mine is really close to the wall, I don't think a half inch gap is acceptable but Old Ryder would know, hopefully he will see this.

I was wondering how things went today with the fabricator. Did you get any answers?

o

Mine was as much as maybe 1/4" in some places. I wasn't too thrilled with it even being that much.

o

I had no gap at all between the slab and the wall. Good thing, because I did not want backsplash tile anywhere except behind my cooktop. And you are correct the backsplash tiles do rest on the counter top.

o

The fabricator hasn't called yet. I left another message today that said we needed to get this resolved before the second reserved slab is sold.

peke

o

Peke,
Gorgeous stone. I hope your fabricator does right by you. best of luck.
MJM

o

"Trying to work granite with residential electric power on portable equipment would be futile."

Sorry, but it can be done. Our fabricator did the cutouts for our farmhouse sink, gas cooktop and around a column inside our house, using a handheld electric grinder fitted with a diamond blade. A shop vac collected most of the dust. They then polished the edges with another handheld electric tool. While we didn't like having to clean up the remaining granite dust, I would have rather them done it this way than risking breaking the slabs in transport or install.

o

Wow Peke, it sounds like he is just hoping you go away. He is being irresponsible and it could end up costing him more in the long run if he doesn't take care of your issues. We are all pulling for you!

o

I'm a little late to this party. Peke, so sorry you are going through this.

My slabs were measured electronically and they still managed to mess up a bit on the installation and the overhang is a bit different on one side of the range than the other. With the free standing range installed, it is not noticeable, so I let it go. It bothered me for a few days when I first discovered it, but I've gotten over it. And EVERYTHING bothers me!

I do not have a seam at my sink and the slab on that wall is quite long. They put some sort of reinforcement on the front and back of the sink cut out. I believe OldRyder posted about this sort of reinforcement on a previous thread.

I do hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction.

o

I started another post to get OldRyder's take on the issues. We are all in agreement. It is bad.
Here is what I posted about our meeting today in the post with OldRyder.

No, we didn't plan on putting a tile backsplash on an oak cabinet. We also didn't plan on putting tile on until maybe next year. I told the owner of the fabrication place that before he drew it out. So a 1/2" + gap is going to let water and other things spill down the gaps.

I told him over and over that I did not want a seam. He wouldn't listen to me. The slab had already been paid for and delivered to him. Two weeks later when measuring it out at my house was when he started the arguing. He promised I would not see the seam.

He sent the young man who does the cutting to our house today to "fix" the problems and seams. The owner should have been here. The young man was very honest with,us. He told us that the owner said to make all these excuses...that didn't happen. Just like he told us our cabinets were not square. That is why the cut was off. Not true. He lied and made everything sound like it was everyone else's fault. He told the guy to lie again today.

So nothing was done today because we think the whole sink counter needs replaced. He told the young man to tell us that we could buy a second slab so he could fix it.
Unbelievable!

We had reserved two stones, but told him that if we could only use one slab it would be wonderful. But we told him that if we couldn't do it with one slab he was to call us.

Here is what he did. He drew the pieces on the stone and drew them wrong on purpose so he would only use one stone. He did not measure wrong.

Our island is on crooked and is 95" long on one side and 94 1/2" long on the other. The overhang is 1/2" on the left and 1" on the right. And it is the reverse on the other side. So it is sideways a little. I don't mind the small amount of overhang, but it should be on straight.

I am so glad you agree with me about the gaps and seams.

We told the young man that the owner would have to buy the slab himself and do it correctly and without seams. We reminded him that he bumps up the price of every
slab he sells just for that reason.

The ball is in the shop owner's court.....Peke
Thanks for your advice. I will keep you posted.

o

I'm sorry. You probably need to start thinking of contingency plans: what will you do if he does not suddenly become a conscientious, honorable business owner who does the right thing? Do you have money, or other leverage via the BBB, stoneyard, social media, consumer protection/advocacy groups, etc? Can the other slab be transferred to fabricator who has experience with quartzite and a different set of ethics?

o

Pete,
I am so sorry you are having this trouble. Because I've been following your tale, I gaze at the lovely sea pearl in every granite yard. I too am in love with the quartzite. One store sells and fabricates (won't deal with KDs), and gave me best price. The "but" is he has called a few times and I think that while people who have used him have been very satisfied, he would be tough to deal with if a problem ensued. So, I shelled out $1000 more to go with a place where KD deals with and his fabricator of 18 years. Only on GW, would people think I'm not crazy. (By the way, it is a different quartz, one that matches my kitchen far better.)

o

Peke, I just hope this knothead makes things right. IMO, he sounds very unethical. He raised his price on you several times, he has lied to you, and has done a crappy job on a stunning slab.

If you haven't paid yet I would call him and nicely but clearly state that there will be no payment until the job is done to your satisfaction. It always pays to be nice (at first) until he proves his refusal to make it right for you. Then you may have to go to the BBB and social media. Hopefully you can reason with him. A reasonable person would see that the seams are not done correctly.

I feel sick to my stomach at the thought of a fabricator making such a mess out of a beautiful stone like that.

Good luck Peke, I will be sending good thoughts and prayers your way for a good resolution to your situation.

o

No news yet. I hope my fabricator does the right thing. He is the only one around here except for the ones who fabricate out of their trucks. I have to drive a half hour to his business. All the other shops are 1 1/2 - 2 hours away.

He definitely wasn't the cheapest either.

Thanks. Peke

o

I finally heard from the fabricator.....an email. He states that he has the other slab on hold and will fix the counter in September.

On the counter he is replacing, I have a stain already. It looks like grease spots. Any thoughts how to get the oil out?

Also, when they brought the island slab in I saw this green stuff....maybe epoxy...in the top of the slab. I know it wasn't there before. Is it possible that when they worked on the brushed side they did something to make it appear?

In the picture it looks more brown, but IRL it is green....an ugly green.

o

Here is another picture of the green junk. It is really shiny compared to the brushed countertops.

o

Oh my, I'm so sorry, Peke! Perhaps it is best that you get an opportunity to figure this out before a fabrication re-do, I hope you get some good answers! Is the slab porous? When you wet it, does it look different (for how long)?

o

Any chance you can take your second slab and find a different fabricator? Based on this guys behaviour so far I would hesitate to let him anywhere near another piece of expensive granite.

o

This isn't a material that can suffer from "green bloom" that I once read about? I feel so badly that you are going through this with your gorgeous countertops.

o

I was going to guess green bloom too. Kellinoelle had it last year and was able to remove it. You might start a thread on green bloom because I can't find her post that talked about the "fix". Someone will know.

o

May flowers, is it one of these threads ?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.google.com/search?q=green+bloom+granite+site:Gardenweb.com

o

Yes, thank you. It's in the update thread. Oven cleaner and a blow torch!!

o

I was just reading those threads. I had never heard of such a thing. Also picked up a good tip on how to repair chips in your granite yourself.

o

Peke, you said you live a long way from other fabricators and possibly stone yards if I recall. So i fully understand your desire to make this work.

I hope you don't mind my suggesting that between the seam and cut problems and now the apparent island quartzite green bloom (which makes me wonder about your fabricators storage facility), that you consider stop working with this fabricator and write a letter asking for full refund of monies.

It seems every piece of Sea Pearl brought into your house has had problems and I don't see this situation getting better. Can you really trust someone who did such a poor job with seams and side cut to do a greatly improved job the second time around? Quartzite is a tough rock and needs a very experienced fabricator as well as many saws and tools of the trade. Not the job for a novice twenty year old, instructed by the fabricator boss. It almost sounds like the boss didn't wish to attempt the job of cutting himself less he, with his license in the trade mess up, but is more than willing to accept a very hefty payment. Is this similar to a bait (accepting the rock and the job) and switch (handing off the job)?

I would elicit help from your local Better Business Bureau as my first step. Designed to help in situations such as yours, combined with your receipts, written statement of events, photos etc, they might be able to bring this to a happier conclusion for you. Granted it may mean picking a different stone/rock etc and different fabricator and being patiently creative in the interim in your kitchen. Your cabinets, appliances, lighting etc shows real design beauty on your part. We all are sorry for your troubles.

I wouldn't worry about your fabricator. A licensed business has insurance, bonding etc and can take a loss from time to time. This is a serious situation: there must be a better countertop solution for you. Continuing to work with your fabricator suggests a degree of sustained confidence with him when in reality, your photos and story suggests otherwise.

I truly hope you don't mind my frank speaking up. I would say the same to anyone here on GW or elsewhere.

I hope this may help you in some way to a resolution favoring your beautiful kitchen, your expense on countertops, your time and frustration. I know Garden Web will stand behind you with wonderfully helpful insight.

-SW

o

SW -no problem. That's why we all ask for opinions...to get other people's perspectives. Thank you!

I found a picture of someone else's granite with green bloom. I don't think that is the issue.

The ugly green seems like it is inside a crack. That is why I thought it was epoxy or something. The fabricator tried to scratch it out with a razor blade.

The head fabricator is the twenty something guy. He told us the truth about everything.

I feel that they deserve one chance to make it right. If it is still bad, I will ask for a refund.

Here is one picture of green bloom. Peke

o

SW -no problem. That's why we all ask for opinions...to get other people's perspectives. Thank you!

I found a picture of someone else's granite with green bloom. I don't think that is the issue.

The ugly green seems like it is inside a crack. That is why I thought it was epoxy or something. The fabricator tried to scratch it out with a razor blade.

The head fabricator is the twenty something guy. He told us the truth about everything.

I feel that they deserve one chance to make it right. If it is still bad, I will ask for a refund.

o

o

Peke, thanks for taking my post as an attempt at a helping hand. Sounds like you have the plan.

Has your fabricator told you what he thinks the green is?

o

SW, no he hasn't. It is in what I think is a crack....in several places. It almost looks like the old avocado appliance color. Peke

o

I received an email from the fabricator asking me to call him. The other slab was delivered to the fabricator today. So it looks like he is going to fix it. Will post when I know. Peke

o

Peke's - that is great news!

o

Peke, I so hope that you get this taken care of to your satisfaction. Your kitchen is so beautiful, the slab is gorgeous, and when it all comes together and is installed correctly it will be a knock out!

o

Measuring for sink template this afternoon!

Peke

o

Peke:
Hoping that your problems are well on the way to getting resolved. I am sure you feel like this has gone on for a long time and that you are ready to be done with all of the issues related to your kitchen reno! Wishing you luck!

o

So many problems with this remodel.

Countertop is no longer one of the problems.

New countertop and NO seams. Peke

o

Gorgeous Peke! Just what we all wanted for you.

o

Oh, hooray!!!! Looks just as fabulous as it should. So glad you were able to get exactly what you deserved.

o

Beautiful! I'm so glad you fought for what you deserve!

Was there a conclusion about the green on the island, and I missed it?

o

Hurray! Thanks for posting a happy ending! Congratulations on having the confidence and persistence to get this right.

o

Hooray. It looks lovely. I am so happy for you and so glad you let us all know how it turned out!

o

Looks great! Have you picked out a backsplash?

o

What a relief!!! Happy to hear your counter install has a better ending. I really does look beautiful - I love the satin finish.

o

I'm so glad you got a good outcome. It looks beautiful! Congrats!

o

It's absolutely beautiful! Congrats to you...the photo is delicious. It makes me want to rub my hands all over it, it looks so satiny. I know the remodel was a bit horrendous and gut-wrenching, but it looks beautiful.

o

Peke, I am so happy for you! The counter is absolutely exquisite. I am just so happy that you persisted in your quest for a beautiful topping for your lovely cabs. You now have the perfect setting for your "precious".

o

Peke, your counters are beautiful. It must be such a relief to have the damaged counters gone & beautiful counters in place. We were all pulling for you!

o

It looks great! I'm so glad they came through for you end in the end!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here