Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Apron Sink Granite Retrofit

Another rod failure and an alternative solution. I refuse to promise an "invisible" repair and these customers weren't willing to settle, so that exploded granite has got to go:

I've taped where the cuts go. Note the depth of the larger sink cut out; it is critical to the trade offs that will have to be made. No, Festool does not recommend cutting stone with their rail saws. I'm probably voiding my warranty, but the dust collection is excellent and with a new diamond blade, it slices right through stone and steel. This won't be the first manufacturer's instructions ignored today:

I've ground away as much of the remaining failed rod as possible:

The void from the ground out rod is filled with epoxy and granite on each side:

The cut edges have been profiled. Note the polished spot in the middle from the existing sink cut out which is now dictating the sink reveal. Kohler specifies a positive reveal, but they're not getting it on this one. The original fabricators missed the sink center by 3/8". I'll have to accommodate their mistake if I want perfect flush reveals. Note the notch in the cabinet side:

I sure hope Kohler doesn't read GardenWeb, because I know they seriously frown upon altering their products, but I've got a faucet to shoehorn in here and that sink flange has got to give me some room:

This is a close-up of the old filled faucet hole. I show it all here, but you can't really see this standing at the sink. Tradeoffs, it's all about the tradeoffs:

Despite my best efforts, I'm fabricating in your kitchen. This is 5' adjacent to the sink:

This is 10' away the other direction; no dust:

Finished. Yes, the sink apron doesn�t extend flush to the top edges as specified, but remember my asking to note the original sink cut out? It was this or laminate a top repair at the larger sink cut-out. The lamination would be at eye level, this isn't quite. Remember the faucet hole fill? How would you like to stare at a foot of that forever? Yes, the doors are a bit proud of the apron; it was that or an uneven sink reveal. The adjacent door can be adjusted to fool your eye. Pick your tradeoff:

This is the remaining crack from the failed rod and the subsequent patch on the edge. Fortunately I'm coming back to polish these tops. I may be able to make this more inconspicuous:

First time I was ever paid in gold. I'm probably 16 hours into this including drive time and my initial schmooze meeting. Don't forget the cost of that beautiful sink either. The customers are ecstatic:

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 19:04

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"nice work. i wish you had less opportunity to fix poor stone work."

oldryder:

Thanks, I guess, but there is so much crap work out there I don't think I'll be slowing down anytime soon. This fabricator had a contract with a new home builder. No silicone at the sink flange. They put some topical at the joint.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

trebruchet, can you take your show on the road? lol, I really need your expertise for my kitchen granite removal just around the sink so we can replace the messed up sink. It cannot be removed from underneath. What part of the country are you in? North, south, east, west? I've had several people out but they don't call back. They pretty much want to sell slabs of granite for new work and I can't blame them.

• Zoladub Dub
    9 years ago

That is amazing I would be thrilled too

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Wow! Impressive save there!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

" It cannot be removed from underneath."

gr8day:

Sure it can. Pop off your doors, place a block on the back of the cabinet front and tap it off. If you're frameless, remove the front panel and Sawzall the screws and dowels holding the front stretcher in place. It will all go back together seamlessly, I promise.

I drove from home, Sarasota, Florida, to Baltimore, Maryland, last year to help a friend bail an architect out of trouble. 30 hours of driving to work 6. Apparently it was cheaper to pay me than to pay the fine for opening the store behind schedule.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd and 3rd pic

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 8:44

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

Wow, love that apron sink! It looks amazing. No wonder you were paid in gold - you are worth your weight in it!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I refinished these granite tops today. I should probably start a new thread, but for now just compare this picture to the 2nd from the last previously. The crack can't be felt and is highly inconspicuous. The polish has concentrated the reflected light.

• Amy Sumner
    9 years ago

I love your process posts, Trebuchet. It's so educational. Thanks!

• KBSpider
    9 years ago

Treb saves the day again! What brand sink is that? Gorgeous!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Nice work! I guess they'll recommend you to everyone they know! You'll probably have a lot of work in that subdivision soon.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"What brand of sink is that?"

KBSpider:

It's a Kohler:

Here is a link that might be useful: K-3945

• KBSpider
    9 years ago

Thanks - it looked like the Kohler but was hoping it was a cheaper brand. I've always had expensive taste and a beer budget...sigh.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

KBSpider:

I linked to the Kohler website; they show the suggested retail price. I think my customer said he paid about $600.00 online including shipping. That is an excellent value for such a quality sink.

I prefer customers to have sinks shipped to me so I can inspect them before our scheduled appointment.