Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marypearl_gw

Cleaning Stainless Steel Refrigerator

marypearl
15 years ago

Does anyone know of a cleaner for stainless steel that actually works? I've bought a couple of different brands and the nice soft towels that were recommended but cannot get the streaks out of the refrigerator. I would appreciate any tips you all can give me. Thanks.

Comments (31)

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I got some called Signature that was made for Subzero nd Wolf. My appliance dealer sells it or you can order it directly from them. You have to order 3 or 4 bottles though, so it's better if you can find a dealer. I first used it on the fridge because when I opened the sample bottle, it poured out much faster than I expected and the fridge was the only ting large enough to use all of the polish that came out on. Worked well enough that I've stuck with it.

I think one of the other issues is trying different cleaners. When you try the second one, you have remnants of the first one and it may take a number of cleanings to get all of that, then it may take a couple more to get things stabalized.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Pledge in the brown can + microfiber cloth!

Not only does it clean it quickly and thoroughly, but it also seems to cut down on fingerprints in general.

• patti823
    15 years ago

I use Perfect Stainless. You can get it at Bed, Bath & Beyond. You put some on a cloth (I use microfiber), rub onto fridge, then using a different section of the cloth wipe off. I tried several different cleaners like you did, and this one seems to work the best.

• marta9919
    15 years ago

I also swear by Signature Polish! It is awesome. I also use it on my hardwood floors when they get a bit scratched. Its a wonderful product - worth every penny!

• happytobehome
    15 years ago

Consumer Reports tested a few stainless cleaners and their top pick was Weiman brand. They tested the spray, but I could only find the Weiman wipes (Target). I use a Weiman wipe and follow with a microfiber cloth especially for stainless (Method brand). They seem to work great for me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Weiman Wipes

• minette99
    15 years ago

ZEP Spray! Home Depot -- less than 10.00 and no more fingerprints!

• llaatt22
    15 years ago

Getting rid of streaks is difficult because usually one type of cleaner and one type of cloth isn't enough. Clean with the grain only. It is vital that everything used be nonabrasive and the cleaning cloths are superclean with no possibility of grit.

Oil based cleaners have some cleaning effect but also mask streaks optically as the oil film covers the metal. When the oil dries the streak shows again but usually not as bad.

You can tell you are on the right track when the streak starts to spread and gets weaker as you try to clean it with something. When it stops moving around and more of that cleaner doesn't work try something else next. Several different brands of slightly damp microfiber cloth, other cloths you like, a bottle of 99% isopropanol alcohol (drug Store), Turtle Wax foam upholstery cleaner, diluted dish detergent, etc. Try them one by one in a complete cleaning sequence over a small area and repeat those that seem to have the most effect on the streak. I've noticed that the alcohol seems to work better if it isn't rubbed/buffed immediately when wiped on but get it done before it dries.

Keep working at it over time. Don't try to get it all done in one shot. If you discover a super cleaner in the meantime that will be great.

Good luck!

• growlery
    15 years ago

Weiman spray.

Strangely, Weiman wipes leave streaks.

• brigitte333
    15 years ago

Weiman Spray -Walmart carries it.

• janefan
    15 years ago

I just used Endust (in lieu of the "brown" Pledge suggestion) and it worked well. I plan to try the other recommendations here as well, over the next few weeks.

I am shocked at the degree of maintenance required for this, though!! I knew I'd have prints, but my fridge seems to show every little thing.

• User
    15 years ago

I have tried every cleaner (at least 10) out there and brown Pledge not only cleans and shines but also prevents future fingerprints too. I only wipe it about once a week now. Even though I have switched to green cleaners everywhere else...I won't give up my pledge for stainless.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Best one I found, and I tried quite a few, was a stainless conditioning treatment (wipe cloth) made by Reckitt Benckiser. It came with my Bosch hood. It was amazing. No streaks. No fingerprints. And the appliances STAYED that way!

I have emailed and called Bosch to find out where to get more. The phone crew is less than helpful--if you can get through and if you don't get disconnected. They don't know. They say, do a web search. I have emailed Bosch, but none of my emails go through to them. Again, less than helpful.

On the package there are several locations world-wide. The one in English is in Great Britain. They don't ship to the US. The company, Reckitt Benckiser makes a bunch of different products in the US (Easy Off, etc.) but I can't find the product on their website at all.

So if anyone knows where to get this thing, I will buy a bunch! It was the best I have tried!

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

I found the Weiman spray works great. I spray it on a microfiber and go to town. And it resists fingerprints for awhile too. My sister always compliments how clean my SS appliances always look, and frankly, I don't wipe them down often. She has GE SS appliances and hers are always a mess with only her in the house (2 in mine). I also think all SS is not created equal.

Walmart sells it alot cheaper ($3.50-3.99) than BBB or the supermarket.

• grannysmith18
    15 years ago

I bought the brown Pledge, but it's been so many years since I've bought Pledge, and the can looks a little different from what I remember. It says that it's "Extra Moisturizing" with lemon oil. Is this the right one?

• arc1017
    15 years ago

I am amazed at how well the pledge stainless steel wipes work. These come in a SILVER zip-lock style package, not to be confused with the yellow package. I found them at my local supermarket here on Long Island, King Kullen, but I have yet to see them anywhere else. They work and the appliances repel fingerprints now. Amazing! So how long till pledge stops making them...??? :)

• headspinning
    15 years ago

Method has a SS spray cleaner that has worked really well for me.

• eeagle
    15 years ago

I'm quite surprised I haven't seen anyone mention WD-40. Does a GREAT job IMHO.

• fern76
    15 years ago

Been there done that with all the sprays, now I just use Pledge furniture polish (I use the yellow can) and it works awesomely!!!!! :) I also use it on my granite with no streaking or hazing!!! HTH

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Helou...yes, that's the one! Good luck!

• marysmatt_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Any Pledge seems to work.

• robinlharper1_gmail_coM
    12 years ago

O.K. I sprayed my fridge with 409 by mistake. It made a huge mess and now I can't seem to get the streaks or the film off. Also, it looks like there are watermarks. I used a stainless steel cleaner but that didn't work. HELP

• sandimw
    9 years ago

I actually just found this out. Use a cotton cloth, put a little dawn on it and dampen the cloth. Wipe with the grain. Dry any wet spots. Use a couple of drops of baby oil and rub on. Takes fingerprints and smears away! I just tried it and was shocked! It's weird because I have all Samsung appliances and the weiman spray works great on everything but the fridge for some reason. I get a LOT of fingerprints from my lovely grandchildren! Haha

• SharonNM
    9 years ago

I second the dishwashing liquid as a great cleaner. My stainless fridge (Fisher&Paykel) came with a big warning to only use liquid dishwashing detergent and not to use stainless cleaners. This is the first stainless fridge I've had that looks good. I use some lemon oil on microfiber if needed.

• heidihausfrau
    9 years ago

I use the Weiman wipes. Followed by a wipe down with a micro fiber cloth. My tip is---go to the automotive section of your store (or run into Pep boys or whatever you haveby you) and buy extra soft cloths for polishing cars. Mine came in a 6 pack for about 5-6 bucks. They are great!!
    I only clean my fridge about once a month. It would be less if I didn't have a 13 year old boy constantly in it;)

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

The yellow Pledge spray works great on my Kitchenaid refrigerator but leaves streaks on my Kitchenaid dishwasher. They come off with a microfiber cloth just dampened a bit with water.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

The one called Perfect for stainless cleaner I got the last one a Lowe's.

I tried the 409 for stainless and it made a mess I fixed it using the Perfect.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

I still use my alcohol-water spray on my SS fridge (and range and microwave), and still like it best. I love being able to spot clean, and cleaning the entire fridge (surface) is quick and easy.

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

Weiman spray+microfiber cloth user here, although I have finally tried the Signature Polish that came with my appliances and this stuff is crazy good.

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

Old post and the OP has probably changed her fridge by now nevertheless...

I am a new and permanent member of the BarKeepers Friend fan club BarKeepers Friend

Our range is a 14 year old Bosch SS. I'd buy Bosch any day again, but over the years, the steel got streaks and discoloration along the way . In an effort to clean it, I used an oven cleaner which left streaks which would not come out no matter what I used (alcohol, wipes, dishwasher, vinegar and salt ....) .

I came across BKF on the web and used it on the range. it looks amazing! Shiny and polished, streaks and discolouration all gone. A permanent "burn" in the metal still remains, but overall I'm delighted.

• Ellen L Hansen
    2 years ago

Best I have found is the Reckitt Benckiser cloth that came with my Bosch refrigerator. Got someone from RB on the line who insisted they do not make these. Would buy a large box full if I could ever find them.