Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clg7067

Faux Steel Review

clg7067
12 years ago

LOL! This is not an infomercial, but it sort of sounds like it. Just my review of the product that arrived today.

I was thinking of using some stainless steel trim in my kitchen. I had been to my local "metal supermarket" to get some real stainless steel trim for my toe kicks a couple of years ago, but the price was very high, and the service was poor.

I thought about the imitation stainless films out there. I know of the Alsa Corp. They have a lot of metal films that are made of real metal with acrylic coating. They are pretty expensive. Just getting a sample costs $90.

So, I Googled "Faux Stainless Steel" and found this company. The samples I ordered came today and I have one of the samples stuck on my IKEA dining table right now, and another sample stuck to straight formed formica counter.

The thickness of the product is substantial, thicker than I expected. It goes on easily without bubbles. I applied it over the edge of my dining table to see how it bends on a 90 degree corner. My table's edge has a small of a bevel, so it formed nicely around it.

I had a feeling it was too thick to fold over a sharp 90 degree corner, and I was correct. I just couldn't get the sharpness. BUT, I used a razor blade and cut it at the edge and applied another piece on the other face and on this quick test it came out looking excellent.

It's marketed mainly for application on appliances to make them look like stainless steel appliances. Just wanted to pass on the information for all the creative Garden Web people. I would definitely NOT used this behind the range where you need something fireproof. I won't be doing a fire test on it. Another thing is it is removable. And,so far, that is true.

And I also forgot to mention that it looks great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faux Steel Film