Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New IKEA Ringskar faucet suddenly leaking!

Posted by spanky_md (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 18:53

(cross posted this on the ikeafans site--apologies to anyone who reads both)

I've been using my new kitchen for a couple of weeks with no problem. I had a contractor install the cabinets, counter, and sink and they hooked up the disposal, dishwasher and sink plumbing.

Everything was working fine until this evening. I was rinsing dishes and loading the dishwasher. Pushing the hose back up into the faucet seemed balky, then I noticed that the amount of water coming out of the faucet didn't seem like the usual flow. Then I noticed a LOT of water coming out from under the dishwasher which I'd just started. In a panic, I looked inside the sink cabinet--even MORE water.

It is pouring down from where the connector hose meets the faucet. And the faucet itself is loose where it connects to its base above the counter. Not real loose but definitely wiggly. I cannot use the faucet at all until this is fixed.

Is this a known problem with Numerar faucets?? Do they work loose? Or does it sound like my contractor didn't install it correctly? I think they had problems hooking it up because there was almost no clearance between the sink and cabinet, but they didn't say anything to me about it. We didn't part on the best of terms (many, many small issues that added up, not the least of which was stuff like I just mentioned) so i'm hoping it's not something they're responsible for, simply because I don't ever want to deal with them again!

Agh!

Oh, and I just noticed that the dishwasher is also leaking slowly when the sink faucet is off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New IKEA Ringskar faucet suddenly leaking!

HIre a reputable plumber.

o

Trebuchet, thanks for the pithy advice. However, after researching this in the light of day, turns out that that would void the terms of the warranty. I have to report it to IKEA's customer service first and go from there.

In case anyone is interested, this is where the thing is loose and wobbly, though the water is pouring out from underneath, not leaking from this gap at all. *shrug*

o

Do you still have the installation manual? Is there some adjustment that can be made at this spot?

Also, I'm assuming that you saw this at the IKEA web site, re installation and especially the connectors.

I suppose the big question is whether your plumber/installer has experience with IKEA faucets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ringskar installation

o

Thanks, nosoccermom. I did read the installation instructions several times. I had a plumber that i'd used in the past scheduled to come but he missed the part about me having moved to another county and he isn't licensed here. So I had to find someone else.

Lucky for me, the new plumber stopped by to give a free estimate before I hired him to do the job and all it was was a loose nozzle on the pull-down faucet! According to him, this is a very common occurrence with pull-down faucets (not just IKEA's, either), probably from twisting it a tiny bit every time it's pulled down or pushed back up...? Anyway, it took him 5 seconds to tighten it and there was no charge (other than a good review on Angie's List!).

HUGE relief here. Why my original contractor didn't inform me of this possible explanation when I asked what might be wrong, I dunno. The people at IKEA didn't know anything about it either.

All's well that ends well. I'm just going to try to remember to check it weekly for loosening.

o

Great that this was such an easy fix, and how nice that the new plumber didn't charge you 80.00 or whatever the going rate is. I asked because we had a similar issue with a faucet. Husband insisted that it's the design. Well, a quick Internet search showed how to tighten the part.
Are you in MD?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here