Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotov

Almost 12 months later.. kitchen reveal

Denitza Kotov
9 years ago

I'm sorry for the delay - thank you all the great people in this forum for the advice, the encouragement and amazing ideas!

PS I still don't have the island pendants but already know what I want to buy :)

Comments (77)

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The clock was an old Crate&Barrel clock that I had

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another pic - it's a little messy sorry

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Forgot the info re: vases - Z Gallerie - actually very good choice for a corner
    http://www.zgallerie.com/p-10238-miami-vases.aspx?gclid=CIr884q8scACFQqCfgodvyEAxQ

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Holy cr@# - That's the same kitchen? What a difference.

Love the colour of the backsplash even more, having now seen a close-up.

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

close look at tile

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

one more

• ILoveCookie
    9 years ago

It's a very refreshing kitchen. The cabinets are gorgeous. May I ask who made them?

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am in the Bay Area - San Jose, CA

http://www.ceccabinets.com/

Here is a pic of the wood

• ILoveCookie
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link, thedork. I see your kitchen in their portfolio! The walnut is beautiful. We are on the east coast, thinking of getting something similar.. :D

This post was edited by ILoveCookie on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 14:56

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was going between rift cut oak and walnut - first pic in their portfolio - both type of woods are very nice for cabinets

• ILoveCookie
    9 years ago

Both are very pretty! Husband slightly prefers the grain on walnut so we will probably just do that. :D

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Great job! This is a very cool kitchen! I love your tile w/ your cabinet fronts. Perfect! This looks like an ad for Fireclay tile! I love the little figure you put on the open cabinet. Great choice.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

LOVE your kitchen! Wish I would have seen this before I picked my backsplash tile. It would have given me the guts to go with a fun color and this green is my favorite color! Looks fantastic! Don't get me wrong, I love how our kitchen turned out but when I see rooms like this, I wish I wouldn't have played it quite so safe.

Enjoy your space!

• fldirt
    9 years ago

Wowâ¦stunning kitchen! Cabinets are beautiful as is your backsplash. Enjoy!

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

This looks like it's out of a House Beautiful magazine from 1970. Retro!

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

OMG, so in love with that tile. Really beautiful job all around.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Oh no. This is making me question my choices, and the cabinets are going in on Tuesday. Too late to make mine look like that now.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

You did a great job matching the cabs and floor. That is a difficult proposition and yours looks so well balanced. Cohesive. I also love modern and love your room. Please show us more. The eating area?

• john_v00
    9 years ago

The lime color backsplash is cool!

• LTTN
    9 years ago

Beautiful job!!

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Love it all! The green is fabulous! Congrats on such a great space.

• Marc Johnson
    9 years ago

Kudos on the whole look! Of course, I'm somewhat partial to the green :)

• scootermom
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! Those cabinets are sooooo beautiful. They look so smooth. Great choices!

• jackieblue
    9 years ago

Wow! I like your new kitchen.

The layout of yours is just like mine in a 1964 split level, except mine isn't as sleek as yours. It was re-done about 15 years ago with your typical contractor grade golden oak cabinets. It's okay but I'd like more of a mid-century modern look like you have here. Hope you don't mind if I bookmark yours for future inspiration.

• Megan Lopez
    9 years ago

Thedork--I'm also in the San Jose area and am starting to get bids for my kitchen. Would you recommend your cabinet maker? Thanks and beautiful kitchen!

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!

Ilikepie,

Please see the link below:

http://www.ceccabinets.com/

Good luck with your project!

• straikar
    9 years ago

It is great to visit a site where I am seeing a kitchen that is not cottagy white.

• peachmarie
    9 years ago

Hi Thedork! Love this kitchen! We are renovating our kitchen and are installing the Bertazzoni Pro 36 inch gas range. We noticed you didn't use the backguard, and we are planning on doing the same. However, in the manual (we haven't unboxed the range yet) it shows holes on the top of the range in the back where the guard would be installed. How did you resolve this? Is there an additional cover piece you can purchase? Any help would be much appreciated :)

• peachmarie
    9 years ago

Hi again! I think I found the piece on the Bertazzoni website - called an island trim. I've attached a link. Is this what you used?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bertazzoni 36 Island Trim

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, this is the island trim - you got it :) it looks better I think

• peachmarie
    9 years ago

thanks!!!!

• dljmth
    9 years ago

Nicely done! Glad everything worked out. :)

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Beautiful modern kitchen that is unique and looks great and functional! Can you tell me a little bit more about your recessed lights? LED? Color Temperature? Lumens? Size? How far from the cabinets? Thank you!

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Lynn! The LED lights are from HD:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202906942?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202906942&R=202906942

Need to check what boxes we used and how far from the cabinet we placed them - will let you know

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

www.inspiredled.com

I'd recommend them for the under-cabinets lights - they'll do the design for you - cheap and nice quality

• LSSF
    9 years ago

Hi,
    GORGEOUS! SO inspiring! Are your floors wood? Or something else meant to appear as wood?

Thanks!

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you LSSF! It is wood - hardwood floor continuing from the dining/living space. There is a little bit of a difference which you cannot see ( I see it though ) between the original floor and the new one. We didn't refinish the whole floor of the house.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

So minimal and stunning in its simplicity. And then that tile hits you...Ka-bam! What a great color combo. Everything is beautiful!

• Mary Readel
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is Beautiful and Unique! Very Nice!
    Can you please tell me what range hood that is?
    Thanks in advance.

• Mary Readel
    9 years ago

I am looking at the Fireclay website, but do you remember the color of the tile? It looks like maybe it's Kiwi?
    Thank you, in advance!

• Mary Readel
    9 years ago

Can you post another picture showing the pendant lighting you've chosen? Thank you.

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Maryl,

The tile color is Chartreuse.

The hood is Zephyr Anzio 30'' - put a larger hood over the range - mine is 30'' over 30" - I should've gone with 36'' maybe.
    Kobe was my other choice - picked the Zephyr more for the look compare to Kobe. Vent-a-hood would be my choice but they don't have a lot of modern styles and are much more expensive.
    I still don't have the pendants but they are from Etsy. Please see the attached pic - this is the style but I'll get the darker finish and brown cord - still debating the color of the finish and cord. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also wanted to add info on the outlets. I picked Adorne collection - they have really nice modern dimmers, outlets etc.
    Take a look. You can also find them in Lowes and online Home depot. Their dimmers are great, lots of colors, modern looking, sleek outlets. They are more expensive but make a huge difference.
    http://www.legrand.us/adorne/dream/wiring-devices.aspx#.VGDkijTF-d8

• jannie
    9 years ago

Very pretty- I especially like the black and white floor tile. classic!

• smoochas
    9 years ago

Amazing! what about all the appliance? Where/what are they and do you like them still 12 months later??

• dccurlygirl
    9 years ago

Glad this came back up ... I wanted to comment on your beautiful kitchen, earlier but couldn't find it. Anyway, congratulations on creating such a sleek space!

Can I ask you about your Berta range? I'm considering it and would love to hear your thoughts on the burners and oven, now that several months have passed. Thanks!

• Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The appliances are:

Fridge: F&P - Fisher Paykel
    ActiveSmart⢠Refrigerator - 20.1 cu ft. Counter Depth French Door 36" RF201ADX5

I wanted a sleek more square modern fridge not bulky and not very deep - this is the only one close to counter depth and for $1999 was not a bad idea. I don't like to have water or ice maker so this was the perfect choice for us.

As far as look, the fridge goes very well with the Bertazzoni and the hood design.

If budget is not an issue, I'll go with Miele

Range:
    Range - Pro 304 GAS X
    http://us.bertazzoni.com/professional-series/ranges/30-4-burner-gas-range

No issues so far, I'm not a baker though but I'm cooking often - it's OK, cannot compare to anything I had in the past. The 6K + ranges have more smooth railings inside etc but again budget and design - I wanted not a bulky sticking out range but close to counter depth.
    I like Capital Culinarian a lot but too big for my space.

DW - Miele Crystal G5225SC - pay the extra $100-150 for Meile to install it. They give you extra warranty.

Zephyr Anzio hood - 30'' - get a bigger one 32" if your range is 30" - I think it looks better.

My second choice was Kobe.
    Like Vent-a-hood a lot but again budget and look.
    Make sure the hood is deep.

MW - GE PEM31SMSS

Hope this helps - good luck with your decisions - I was happy to spend not more than $6-7K for all appliances.

• CAPERNIUS
    9 years ago

WOW! Beautiful!

OK, it's official.....
    I'm jealous. : P

Because I am new here, I have not seen the 'before' pics....
    but I love the "after" pics.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Gorgeous transformation - hard to believe it's the same space. I *love* the tile, what a bold choice! Love, love, love it!

• deedles
    9 years ago

I missed this when it was first posted but wow, is that ever a great looking MCM kitchen. Love the green tile and the cabinets are gorgeous. Walnut is such a beautiful wood.

So cool. Just had to comment when I saw the pics.