Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adrienne2011

My kitchen is done! Here are before and after pictures:

Adrienne2011
12 years ago

Aside from installing the Roman shades on the French doors, a couple outlet covers, and the Lee Valley drawer organizers, we are done with our remodel. The washer and dryer were relocated from the mudroom (adjacent to the kitchen) to the master bedroom closet, and floors in the office and foyer were replaced at the same time as the floors in the kitchen and mudroom.

Here is what we used/bought:

Kraftmaid maple cabinets, all plywood, "Lindsey" style in chestnut

GE Profile appliances (we already had the dishwasher)

5" Brazilian cherry engineered hardwood, made by Owens Flooring

Cambria Windermere quartz counters

Tumbled Durango 4x4 backsplash, with a mother of pearl accent tile

Delta Victorian faucets in Venetian bronze

Minka Lavery Salon Grand light fixtures (we already had several in the house, but added another)

30" copper sink in "Fire and Ice" made by Dino Rachiele

Environmental Lights LED undercabinet lights

Baldwin handlesets for the French doors

small copper bar sink for the mudroom made by EcoSinks, purchased through Home Depot online

Weybridge outlet covers, found at Home Depot

2.5" wood blinds, purchased via Blindster (online)

Before:

After:

Here's the mudroom:

This is part of the mudroom:

This is what the kitchen looks like if you're in the mudroom:

A simple open storage area for backpacks and coats next to a $40 shoe bench (we need some artwork over that shoe bench):

Utility cabinet in the mudroom with a blotch from dust on the camera - oops:

Comments (33)

• frmrsdghtr
    12 years ago

Lovely! I adore your kitchen sink. What a piece of art! Enjoy your new space!

• Wanda18
    12 years ago

WOW - Absolutely beautiful and stunning transformation. Congratulations. I hope you have many years to enjoy!

• ginny20
    12 years ago

Oh, Adrienne, tht's really lovely! Rich and elegant. Love the sink and the cabinet color. And you obviously built in more functionality, especially with your mudroom. Really good job!

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Yummy reno. So warm and inviting. I love your sink too! Flooring and counters looks great together!

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

wow.. amazing transformation! You must be very happy, nice job!

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Congratulations! You'll enjoy this so much.
    Lynn

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Wow, it's fantastic! Love the sink. Would love a mudroom like that.

• kmmh
    12 years ago

It looks great!! Congratulations!

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

It looks lovely and inviting. You did a great job, I like your choices. Love, love, love the sink.

Nancy

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

May I ask how you like the new appliance layout? One of the many arrangements I am considering is similar, with the range close to the sink and the DW around the corner (only in my kitchen the fridge would have to be across the room, which is not very far). Your kitchen is beautiful!

• batmansmama
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous, and that is the prettiest mudroom I've ever seen!

• elba1
    12 years ago

Very nice - love that copper sink!

• enduring
    12 years ago

So nice and warm. And You're Done! Your elements are lovely. It is so welcoming.

• Adrienne2011
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, everyone! :o)
    Northcarolina, I really like this layout a lot. It will be easy to fill a pot with water, and just as easy to dump water used to cook pasta into the sink. There's enough landing space on both sides of the cooktop (it wouldn't have hurt to have a few extra inches on the left side, but I won't miss it). The dishwasher is actually quite close to the sink - after I rinse a dish, I just pivot to my right, bend down, and pop it in the dishwasher. Actually, now that I think about it, I have to turn completely around and face the other way, but it seriously is not a big deal. The pull-out trash and recycling is between the sink and D/W (to the left of the dishwasher), so that's handy.

• Emily
    12 years ago

Your kitchen looks amazing! Your hardwood floors looking great with your cabinets! How did you get them to look so good together? It looks like they match perfectly. I have natural cherry cabinets and we haven't gotten around to doing the flooring yet and I was resigned to getting stone floors when we do upgrade because I haven't been able to find any pictures of kitchens that look good with natural stained cabinetry and hardwood floors. Now my hope is renewed that we can get hardwood floors thanks to your pictures! How many different hardwood floor samples did you have to go through to find the right one?

• chitown_remodel
    12 years ago

Wow. What a beautiful kitchen. I LOVE LOVE the windermere quartz so much. I also love the little tiles running through your backsplash. Do you have a closer picture of your backsplash? Or can you just post a link to what those tiles are?

• azlee6574
    12 years ago

Looks great and I love the accent on the backsplash!!!

• juniork
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! I'm so happy, because my backsplash is similar, and one of the subs referred to it as 'the racing stripe'! Uh, no, that wasn't really the effect i was trying to achieve. Seeing it in your stunning kitchen makes me feel better. We all need validation, this is such a second-guessing-yourself type of project! Congrats!

• michoumonster
    12 years ago

lovely kitchen! I love your cabinet color and the copper sink!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. So open, warm and spacious. That sink is unfreakenbelievable!! I have always been happy with the choices that I made and up until now have never wanted to change anything - but I didn't know that sink existed.
    I too have a DW around the corner from the sink and have never had a problem being comfortable using it.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I love the color wood you went with and esp for the glass cabs!
    I like how the drawers look under your cooktop and bet you love how they function ;)
    I also like how the accent tiles pick up the lighter color of your counters....

Btw - you need a mirror by the bench in the mudroom because that is a perfect place to check oneself on the way out or in... A decorative mirror would give you function and looks.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Nice! My favorite things...the glass cabs, the drawers, the sink, and most of all those floors. They are astounding.

Also liked your palette. The faucet for example, is the right color for both the sink and the counters. Enjoy!

• petra66_gw
    12 years ago

A lovely, warm and inviting kitchen, congratulations!

• msmagoo
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful, very classy. This is the look I want, whenever we "bite the bullet" to remodel our 80s kitchen. May I ask? Did you have a KD? Are your ceilings 8 ft? Is it rude to ask cost?
    Enjoy your kitchen!
    Magoo

• Adrienne2011
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Epressler - all I did to figure out which hardwood to get was learn which floors were the hardest (on the Janka scale), decide which colors I liked best, and then ask the owner of the hardwood store which brand he loved the best. He said that all the installers LOVE Owens Flooring, and it has a really thick face to it, so it can be re-sanded three times. It was a good choice, because out of 24 boxes, only two smallish pieces were not straight. Anyway, you asked about how many samples I looked at to get the right color - just two. Brazilian cherry has so many colors to it anyway, that the samples you get may be vastly different than what will be in the boxes. It's hard to believe that one type of tree can produce all those colors! But my goal wasn't to match the cabs to the floor - it was just how it happened, because I guess I really love that color of wood!

Chitown_remodel - here is a picture of the backsplash without flash, and the mother of pearl tile is made by Olympia.

Dianalo - your idea is brilliant. That is EXACTLY what we will do. Now here's a question, if you happen to ever read this (or anyone who has an opinion) - we already have a very pretty mirror above the fireplace in the great room. Should we move that to the mudroom and put a painting above the fireplace, or is it OK to have two mirrors?

Msmagoo - I designed the kitchen myself, and I was helped out quite a bit because I used ideas I learned here on the kitchen forum. For instance, we have a cell phone charging drawer. It's nothing fancy, but it wouldn't have occurred to make one - I read about them on this forum. My ceilings are eight feet... and you might get sick if I told you how much we spent. I will say that I got great prices on the appliances and wood floor, and fair prices on other stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olympia's Boutique Collection, which includes the Mother of Pearl tile I used

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

what a pretty and open space! Lovely tile choice.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Everything looks perfect together! It's very rich and warm without being stuffy. Enjoy!!!

• roarah
    12 years ago

I am usually not drawn to quart counters but I love yours!!! I also love the warmth that changing to wood cabs added to your home! Wonderful job!!!

• Emily
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. Your kitchen has just become an inspiration for mine when we do our flooring! It is nice to hear that you designed everything yourself because I always design things on my own and it is nice to see a space that looks so great all pulled together!

• sthomas6978
    12 years ago

I truly admire your new kitchen! Lovely choice of colors.
    May I ask, what color are your cabinets and who they are made by?

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I think the mirror over your fpl performs a different function than the one in the mudroom, so I'd stick with both. The living room one makes the space feel more open and helps bounce light. I don't imagine one checks their teeth for spinach on the way out or tucks a piece of hair back in their ponytail there, lol.
    I am a fan of mirrors as long as one does not get Vegas-tacky about it. There are so many pretty designs and shapes, that you can really make them a feature. We have a vintage one in our dining room and I love how it reflects the chandelier and makes the space feel larger. It is placed above the seated diner's height and is not made for checking oneself out.
    I am not a vain person, but I am grateful for a chance to notice a spot on my shirt or something else that needs attending to.... Sometimes, I forget to do a quick check and find out I have been walking around with a smudge on my face and no one has been kind enough to point it out.

• nancy1020
    12 years ago

Love your new kitchen! I'm in the beginning stages of my remodel and picked out cherry cabinets and really like Cambria Windermere, but is there a lot of green in it? I can't tell from the photos. I'm also a little concerned that it might be too busy. Do you have a photo that shows off more of the counter top? Thanks!

• Tiffany
    2 years ago

Gorgeous! How is your Rachiele sink holding up? Thinking of getting copper for the first time and I’m nervous about the care required but am intrigued with his work!