Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rule of thirds for cabinet hardware...

Posted by Laila619 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 18:47

Does this rule apply not just to drawers but also to door cabinets where the pull will be placed vertically? The reason I ask is that most of my upper cabs are 36 inches, but some shorty cabinets above the fridge and microwave are only 18 and 24 inches tall. So would I use different pull lengths for the shorter upper cabs? Or would this look weird to have different pull lengths on the doors?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rule of thirds for cabinet hardware...

I don't think that I have ever seen different height pulls for doors. Since you are not likely to use two hands to open a door, then I don't see why you should spend more money on longer pulls.

o

Thanks. But what I mean is, should I have the same length pull on my short uppers and on my full size uppers? I am going with 128mm pulls, but those look a little odd on the shorter cabinet doors, because they are almost the length of the cabinet door! So do I put smaller pulls on the shorter cabs? Or do I stick with all 128mm pulls?

o

On those way up there, I'd use a smaller pull if they're available. I think it's ratio, too.

o

I used 10 inch pulls on all of my 38 inch upper cabinet doors. On the short 14 inch cabinet door above my refrigerator I used a 6 inch pull. I think it looks fine. This is how it looks in my application:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I see no problem in using different size pulls. I varied the length/width of the pulls on my drawers too.

o

I am struggling with this as well. I hope some others post their opinions on this, as well as pictures where different sized pulls are used on the upper cabinets.

Laila, I hope you don't mind if I add another question concerning pull sizes ...

If I were to use 128mm pulls (vertically) on upper cabinet doors, would the same size be used on lower cabinet doors as well, or would a smaller size (96mm) be used on those doors because they are smaller?

This post was edited by jellytoast on Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 13:04

o

I agree with badgergal, different sizes would look better.

BTW badgergal I love your cabinets, are they natural cherry?

o

I think I'm going to use knobs on all uppers, in part to avoid the dilmma of pull sizes for 18" up-upper cabs over 42" upper cabs. Also considered going all horizontal (and probably will on the doors under the sinks.

o

AJInNH, Thank you for the compliment. Yes, my cabinets are natural cherry. They were made by a small Amish cabinet shop about 80 miles from my house. They had done all the cabinetry in my friends house and I saw their work in two other kitchens. It was a great experience working with them. They even did some curved cabinetry for my kitchen and dining area. You can see some of it in this photo:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Those curves are sumptuous! Your hardware is perfect for those lovely cabinets, thanks for sharing!

o

So what is the rule of thirds? That a pull should be maximum 1/3 of the cabinet ?

Will 8" pulls look odd 42" or 48" cabinets that go to the ceiling?

Will 8" pulls look odd on 36" drawers?

o

Link below-use it in photos
Golden ratio listed at bottom of that page gets a little more play in architecture but is controversial- I find thatt "close" is often the case there.

Here is a link that might be useful: rule of thirds

o

There is no rule of thirds for cabinet hardware -- it's a guideline for visual arts as jakuvall posted above, possibly related to the "golden mean" which is sometimes cited in architecture and other types of design. Long pulls are a contemporary feature. We wanted a more old-fashioned look for our kitchen, so we purposely did not use long pulls; even our 36" drawers each have a single 5" pull. Whether they look odd is a matter of opinion [grin] but I like ours very much; it was just the look I was going for.

I realize I sounded very definite just now, but I am no expert and this is all opinion. I think that's both the fun and the frustration of cabinet hardware: there aren't any rules, it's all about what looks good to you. (Well, I guess putting them in a sensible place you can reach and getting them straight would be rules...)

o

Thanks - choices, choices are making me dizzy ...and immobilized :)

o

I didn't have the emotional energy to grapple with the issue of pull sizes, so I used pulls on both drawers and doors, all the same size. Turns out I like the look, in my kitchen. The photo below has three different door heights, all 6" pulls.

photo image_zpsbf9df468.jpg

o

When in doubt, make a mock-up. We used slender rolled-up cylinders of paper to make mock-up pulls in three lengths. We taped them to various drawers and cabinets, and lo, the answer was perfectly clear. It was a fun exercise and reduced the endless anxiety from yet one more kitchen decision!

o

Sounds fun and resourceful karen
OR
Sketch it to scale-1" or 1-1/2" to the foot
Make your KD work- they can change them in the program and show you 35
Get samples and use double stick foam tape, push hard--remove with a little goof off or lighter fluid

o

This was all very helpful - as were several hours at Home Depot looking and trying the handle on multiple size cabinets and both vertically and horizontal. The rule of 1/3 started making sense!

Kitchen pulls now ordered!

o

This was all very helpful - as were several hours at Home Depot looking and trying the handle on multiple size cabinets and both vertically and horizontal. The rule of 1/3 started making sense!

Kitchen pulls now ordered!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here