Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_sandra_

Franke Orca sink reveal?

sam_b
15 years ago

Hello all,

I was hoping for a neutral/flush reveal around our Franke Orca single bowl sink. I'm not sure why; I guess it's because that's how the picture on the Franke catalogue cover is done.

We went to the fabricators' and chose our slabs today and they said they almost always do a positive reveal. I told them I needed a couple of days to consult the 'experts' on my favourite site! Anyone have that sink undermounted? If so, I'd love to see a picture and to hear any opinions. Also, should we round the edge to minimize chipping accidents?

Thanks so much!

Sandra

PS: When people here recommend viewing another member's kitchen pix, how do you find them? Thx.

Comments (12)

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

My fabricator said he almost always does a negative reveal. I nixed that idea and went with a very slight positive reveal on my Franke Orca sink because I like the look of seeing a little bit of stainless steel. Here's a picture and hopefully you can see the reveal o.k. If not, let me know, and I'll shoot another photo more close up. Also my sink edge is slightly rounded. I didn't request that though. It's just the way the fabricator did it.

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

I'm sitting here feeling my sink edge, and on second thought I think I'd describe it as an eased edge rather than round.

Have you checked out the Finished Kitchens Blog yet. This is probably what people are referring you to when they suggest you look at other members pics.

http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/

Sorry I don't know how to link it directly for you.

• sam_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, boysrus2. Only another gardenwebber would understand you sitting around feeling your sink edge! hehehe

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

I posted several times in panic as I tried to figure out what to do with the reveal on my undermounted SS sink (a large single-bowl Ticor). Our fabricator said they "almost always" do a negative reveal. I wanted either neutral or very slightly positive -- like 1/16 inch positive.

After many encouraging responses here I came to the conclusion that what fabricators say they "almost always" do is whatever they feel most comfortable doing. I think a neutral reveal is probably the most challenging given that there's so little room for error and a negative is the least challenging.

Everyone told me to stick to my guns and I did and I am quite happy with our very slightly positive reveal. I like the bit of stainless showing and it's still looking good to me (the fabricator was worried about caulk showing, which I don't notice at all) 6 weeks later.

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

I have the Franke Orca in fireclay and I have a very slight negative reveal. I was concerned because on the fireclay sink the top part that meets the counter is not glazed and I did not want the unglazed part to show. A positive reveal would not work on my sink.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I have the Franke Orca with a neutral reveal. I will try to post photos tomorrow. The counter overlying the sink edge (negative reveal?) I was afraid might interfere with the sink accessories, and so they suggested a neutral. I really like it. The top drainer accessory actually sits on the countertop but over the sink and works well. They used clear silicone caulk type stuff (not sure exactly what it was) and I don't think it is very noticeable at all. I can wipe into the sink and not have crumbs on the sink edge to clean off and don't have to worry about gunk build up under the countertop or banging items on the countertop when take them out of the sink. I think the neutral reveal is the best compromise, personally. My fabricators use machines to program in the sink cutout and the reveal according to manufacturer specs and they seemed to get a pretty good match to the sink cut out. They said most sinks have available measurements for each type of reveal, and they don't use the templates provided. I guess those are used by fabricators that don't have the CNC machines and have to do the cut outs by hand. In that case I expect the result would be as good as the fabricator. If I am wrong here maybe one of the experts will chime in. :)

Sue

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

The Franke fireclay sinks have a measurement tolerance of + or - 2%. They have to have the sink to template them correctly and can't rely on the post measurements. Stainless can be done off the manufacturers specs.

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

Which silicone sealant is preferred, clear or white? I remember reading this answer a while back.

• sam_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your pictures and words of advice! This site is so invaluable.

I'm not sure if any of you will revisit this posting, but if you do, did your fabricator use the template that came with the sink? The reveal seems pretty flush on those I've seen (which is what we want). If that's what the template yields, then we'll be happy campers.

Delays with our GC have set digitizing back to Aug. 29th :~( That's too much mental stewing time for my liking.

Thanks again!
    Sandra

• paso
    15 years ago

Our fabricator was here this AM and we had this same discussion. He told us he would do whatever we wanted. We chose neutral to slightly negative (to hide the sealant/caulking). We will have the granite installed in 2 weeks...We have the Ticor S112 and he used the template.

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

During templating, my fabricator took the sink, paperwork, box and all back to his shop. The sink came back with the granite on the day of install.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES