Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wakefield52_gw

Help either kitchen cabinet knob or handle?

wakefield52
9 years ago

Have just ordered the white Plain and Fancy cabinets for the kitchen and now have to decide on handles. Need your help!!!
Knobs or handles on the top and bottom cabinets? Which do you think is better for drawers? I will have many different size drawer for pots etc so did not know if I should use 2 knobs or 1 or 2 handles depending on drawer size.
I have seen knobs on the cabinet doors and they are easy to "grab" but have had "handles" in the old kitchen forever.
Does it look better to be consistent of does it matter? Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I think handles are easier to use on the drawers. I think it's really personal preference for the doors. I just happen to have knobs on upper cab doors and on the 2 base cab doors.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Personal preference IMO. Our last kitchen had handles, we chose knobs this time simply for a change. Both will do the job.

• amck2
    9 years ago

I'm struggling with the same decisions. Is your cabinet color P&F's Buttercream? Have you picked the finish yet for knobs/pulls?

I've had bin pulls on my white painted cab drawers at the lake and knobs on the upper cabinet doors. The bin pulls are easy to grab (I think they're Top Knob's "Somerset") and they've been great in keeping the white painted finish pristine even after years of use. I'm inclined to go with this type pull again for function, but I worry they might look a little country farmhouse in my suburban home.

I sometimes have to clean around the knobs on the uppers. Especially if I've opened them while doing a lot of baking during the holidays there is a greasy sheen left behind from where my knuckles touch the doors. I get to it soon, so I've never had to scrub them. But it's something to consider if you have kids/teens who will be opening your white doors regularly.

Are your cabs inset/overlay? My new ones will be inset -which I've never had before - and I wonder if one style suits them over another.

• FXMom
    9 years ago

Knobs or bin pulls. I had knobs and later updated them to handles. The cabinets are all scratched underneath the handles. Then again, I may just have picked handles looking for trouble.

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

I choose knobs and bin pulls because I had the same experience as FXMom. There is usually some marring of the finish under the handle bar. It harder to clean around handles too.

• wakefield52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions. You all brought up interesting thoughts. I have had "real" oak 32 year old cabinets and they have been wonderful as they show nothing!!! Really looking forward to the Plain and Fancy "pure" white cabinets but had not thought about scratches etc underneath the handles. I still have time to decide but know I do not want bin pulls so it is still between knobs and handles. Someone said they thought the handles made the upper doors look better than the small knob. Such decisions!!!
    The bulldozer arrives on Monday to start the addition. It is going to be a long 6 months but I know it will be wonderful when it is all finished. We have been packing up the entire first floor so that we are ready when they arrive so please forgive me for the delay in answering and thanking.

• wakefield52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AMCK, I am so sorry I forgot to answer your question about the doors. Our doors are going to be overlay.

• SuziKD
    9 years ago

Traditional use is all knobs on doors and all handles on drawers. Many contemporary kitchens are doing all handles...some used horizontally.

• amck2
    9 years ago

No apologies needed. And good luck with your project. Our second floor was completely cleaned out 2 wks. ago for wood floor installation. Next week we move all that furniture back in to make room in our garage for the first floor furnishings. Then the kitchen remodel (fingers crossed) is scheduled to begin. We're hoping to be back home by early October. Almost as much work (maybe more) than actually moving!

I'm definitely going with handles on the doors, but still deciding on drawers whether to go with handles or bin pulls. Like you, the cabinets I'm replacing were a mid tone wood finish that showed no smudges, fingerprints, etc.

What style kitchen are you planning? People who are very good at choosing these finishing touches may be able to offer suggestions if they know if it leans toward contemporary/transitional/farmhouse, etc.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts