Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Granite Help

Posted by Hammer136 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 18:35

Finalizing my granite choice want to get some advice. Previous post helped alot. Pics of kitchen and granite. Open to others.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Granite Help

Cabinets

o

Any thoughts

o

Number 2

o

Number 3

o

Number 4

o

I like #1 with you floor with is beautiful!!! May I ask what that is?

o

They're all pretty. I like #3 for the color options it'll give. It seems the most balance between the different tones that could be brought in. Though I'm also biased towards lighter counters.

ETA: Thinking about it, it's also (the way my mind works) the safest, which may not be the most important thing to you. I'm not good at mixing colors. I have DH for that.

This post was edited by cal_quail on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 9:30

o

I also like #3 the best, but then I like lighter colors and less movement. Personally, I also think that there will be a trend towards less movement in counters, but that's a different story.
2 seems too much of that browny yellow, 4 has yet another large color, the grayish block. 1 is nice, but has a completely different pattern (I guess I like more flowy lines).
So, I'd say 3, followed by 1.

o

Wow, 121 comments on your last granite post! I'm not sure if another post will provide the answer for you. Sometimes you have to just choose, it's your kitchen after all.

o

Actually, I think a new thread is appropriate, since there were sooo many options presented in the last one. This one has it narrowed down to only a few more appropriate options.

I don't remember seeing #1 before, but I love it! Followed by #3. had I not seen that first one I would have backed up my original pick of THIS number three.

BUT, take in your cabinets and, if you can, tile samples in person to the yard(s). Again, photos can only take you so far, real life is often drastically different.

o

With #1 you're right back there with paisley shirt and plaid pants again. Don't make me call Linelle!

I would go for #3 for a color match, though I'm not crazy of the brown blob in the middle. Maybe they can template around it. There's some pretty blue areas and lines. It'd be nice to see a straight shot of it or post the website photo if available.

Have you thought about backsplash? Looking forward to that discussion! lol

o

Thanks hope this hasnt become anoying as im leaning strongly towards three a lighter stone. Backsplash will be easier after finalizing countertop. Just a final check no harm meant ....

o

http://picasaweb.google.com/granitecentraldistribuitors/GraniteGallery#5903823808822877250

This post was edited by Hammer136 on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 18:52

o

Number 3. With a plain tile blacksplash.

o

Sounds like you have a lot of support for three, so if you are leaning that way, pull the trigger!

o

I'm still sticking with number 3, : )

o

Number 3 looks like it has natural oxidation. Get comfortable with it because you'll probably be getting more of it.

Just got this complaint from a potential customer several months ago. Nothing I could do.

o

Really. Could you elaborate

o

I got a call from a woman who had put mostly white granite throughout her home. She loved her choice, but was noticing orange spots becoming more and more pronounced. This isn't the first customer I've had to tell that the objectionable marks in their stone are natural and in most cases, there is nothing that can be done cost effectively.

o

Thanks all does anyone think number 5 could work wanted to go there. But 3 isme safe choice any thoughts down to these two stones. I have take all post serious..

o

I think 5 is good for an island, but how is that templated for 24" counters? It looks like three different stones in one.

Trebuchet doesn't know that that particular granite is oxidized. "Looks like" and "probably" are opinions. Talk to the granite people about your concerns.

o

I think #5 will clash with your floors. Just my humble opinion.

o

Another vote for #1.

o

Hammer126 can you please advise what type of floor that is and who makes it? It is very nice, the mutes tones and the pattern and colors.

My kitchen redo is finished and your floor is exactly what I had in mind but couldn't find anything like it.

o

Floor is a tile / stone its about 6 yrs old cant recall the name. Good luck

o

tinker1121, trying searching for "random pattern slate tiles."

o

"Trebuchet doesn't know that that particular granite is oxidized. "Looks like" and "probably" are opinions. Talk to the granite people about your concerns."

Fair enough. I do the best I can looking at pictures on a laptop screen, however, unlike the granite people, I stand to profit nothing, no matter the selection.

o

I think it's good you brought it up, but the manner is a little panic-inducing when he's down to the wire in finding a granite.

I know some people have had it happen in bathrooms tiled in cheap (and the other C word) marble because of lead content in the stone. I have never seen it mentioned here that granites can oxidize. I suppose you'd need the composition of the granite to know whether it has iron in it.

Here is some more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: oxidation of granite

o

in theory number 3 is your best bet with the floors but honestly once your granite is in, who really notices the floors?! i was convinced that my existing flooring would clash badly with the new cabs but i had plans to change it out (floating floor) now after living with it for months, i really think it looks fine and no one has commented otherwise and i have some pretty blunt people in my family!
go with what speaks to you. you have to see it every day! i spent more than i wanted to get a stone i thought was beautiful and it encourages me to keep it clean so i can see all the funky parts(has lots of variation) so with that said i vote for the last one because it is a work of art and not a commonly found stone. if you love it, then looking at it daily will make you smile:)

o

Thanks ardcp thats great insite a close friend stated the same. That no one will notice the floor. Thanks again last stone got quoted at 7 k rare piece my guy said

o

There. There's the great insight you've been looking for. LOL! Good luck!

o

that last stone is incredible! I'd change my floors for it...
I do think it'd be best on an island with a very plain perimeter counter top.

oh wait... I don't even like granite counters! ok, just hang it on a wall!

otherwise, I think 3 is the best option shown with your floors.

o

I appreciated your insight as well Mayflower.Thanks everyone.Im comfortable and more knowledgeable thanks to you all. What more can i say..

o

Thanks, Hammer. I hope you find the granite that's right for you and enjoy it for many years. Remember, paisley shirt, plaid pants. ;)

o

I like #1 best with your floors.

o

Of course you will see your floor. If a space blends seamlessly and the floor is not a dominant feature for some reason, maybe not, but if you put a counter in that clashes with it, the floor will become more obvious, not less.

If you're getting #5, get an idea of how the counters will lay out when it's chopped up.

It would be a shame to lose the overall beauty and effect of that slab on perimeters too.

o

Magna gold new stone came to yard today. Does amyone have this

o

Did a search and found this. Yea or Nay. Hope no one gets offended. Just a pic I saw.. Thanks again everyone.

o

someone on this board has it, possibly MGMum? or fishymom? if you search for magna gold on gw maybe it will come up.
it is amazing, for sure. it is much darker than your other pics though so a totally different look. how is your lighting? i ask because mine is terrible which is why i went lighter granite with dark cabs but i originally wanted dark counters. they seem more sturdy to me. mine has lots of mica flecks and after the fact i found out that mica flecks can be a weak point in the stone:(

o

Lighting in kitchen is good . What granite did you go with.

o

Oh I like the magna gold! It must be my monitor because the cabinets look like they have rich red undertones and the first several choices (while absolutely LOVELY) look yellow. Seems almost like the colors are coming from different places.

I think the magna gold is a serious statement item. I like it.

o

i went light to contrast the dark cabs and my kitchen stills feels slightly dark. the granite place called it crema antartida but i have seen it called ice blue/blue ice as well.

o

But the floor makes a huge statement too. But, to each his own. : ) As long as you love it that is the most important thing and all that matters.

o

Seems we're only talking about "like" now, so my favorite granite in this thread is the first one. If the floor doesn't matter, you might go back to Fire Bordeaux as it was the prettiest.

o

Made the selection today went with Delicatus it is a lite stone that has some very deep detail. It grabed my eye with all the info running through my head that i recieved on this site ( mayflower) and all of you..I thought about going bold but decided against that look. Calm and cool and classy is our vision.Stone is in some areas almost see through. Im usually very decive but this stumped me a bit.Thanks alot will follow with pics. Hope i didnt turn anyone off just a newbie finding my way.

o

delicatus and alaska white were my favs! good choice:)
lots of gwers have delicatus and if i am not mistaken debrak2008 did a gorgeous kitchen with dark cherry cabs and delicatus

o

Congrats!!! Be sure and post pictures when it's all in. It's going to be beautiful : ))

o

I think you made a good decision! You have great taste in bold stones, but a quieter one is going to be a better overall fit for your kitchen. Congratulations!

o

Can you post the slab?

o

yes, let's see it!

I agree that you have great taste in bold stone - but the long term haul has to be considered - along with what is already set in your kitchen.

o

This is Delicatus the pic doest do it any justice. Very nice in person.

o

This was my 2nd pick

o

Thanks to all..

o

Bump

o

Why the bump?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here