Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdq1992

Using sheets of glass as a backsplash: experiences?

CDQ1992
10 years ago

My contractor and I are interested in using 1/4-inch sheets of acid-etched glass as the backsplash in my new kitchen. I've seen photos of this approach, and I really like the clean look.

Two concerns have come up so far: although the glass will be tempered, you never know what might happen, so we want to be able to remove and replace it easily. We can't use any sort of epoxy, because it would show. Our thought at this point is to run moulding above the glass (just below the cabinets), which could just be removed if the glass had to be replaced. But we haven't quite figured out what to do at the spot where the glass will meet the quartz countertop.

The other issue is that the wiring behind the electric switches and outlets will be visible, from a certain angle, through the glass. My contractor thinks that one solution might be a "sleeve" to encase the wiring.

I'd welcome suggestions, warnings, advice from anyone who has done this or thought about doing it. (By the way, one incentive is financial: glass sheeting is less expensive than tile.)

Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)