Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookworm61

New Cabinet Doors Bang into Walls

bookworm61
14 years ago

I am in the middle of my install and to say it has been a nightmare would only be a little bit of an exaggeration. ;)

Our current concern is that many cabinet doors swing wide into a wall or appliance. Has anyone changed to a 90 degree hinge? We have Kraftmaid full overlay cabinets. Any other solutions are also welcome, but we are not looking forward to putting little silicone dots all over our walls to prevent damage.

Thanks,

Bookworm

Comments (9)

• ktam_88
    14 years ago

We just had our cabinets installed and we're having the same problem (the handles haven't even been installed yet!!). Funny you mentioned about the silicone dots because we were thinking of doing the same thing. I will have to look into the 90 degree hinges...hopefully that will solve the problem. Our broom closet is a big concern right now but I think I will ask the contractors to remove the door and have it open the other way.

• Fori
    14 years ago

Instead of the dots on the walls, you can put the dots on the edge of the door so that they stop the door before it hits. You have to mess with it to get them in the right spot, and the cubes work a little better than the dots...well anyway it's a little less obvious than dots-on-walls.

Changing hinges seems more sensible if it'll work.

• bookworm61
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not sure it makes more sense to put dots on the cabinets themselves. That would be really noticeable.

• Fori
    14 years ago

Depends on the cabinets, the walls, and the dots. If you're opening a cabinet door into a wall, it's likely that the edge of the door that's banging isn't highly visible because it's against a wall.

/shrug. Glad to help.

• kelvar
    14 years ago

What you need is a filler of some size between the wall and the cabinet with the door. Do you have some play in the measurements to fit a filler there?

• gfiliberto
    14 years ago

I have a chain inside my cabinet door that prevents it from swinging open wider than 90 degrees.

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

Similar to artteacher, we have a cable inside the cabinet. I have two doors on either side of my cooktop and hood that these were installed in. Otherwise, our hood would have done a major job on the doors.

• sprengle1
    14 years ago

I think we will end up with one cabinet where this is an issue. I'm curious to see all the solutions.

• kitchendude_hiw
    14 years ago

bookworm61, KraftMaid makes a kit you can order that is exactly what nhbaskets shows in the picture. I believe it is a called a door stop kit.