Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Under cabinet receptacles

Posted by holcombe3 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 18:26

Hi,
We are currently building a new home and my husband is wiring the house. He is wanting me to pick out everywhere I want outlets. He has already put boxes to have outlets above the kitchen counter top but I told him I think I would rather have a strip of outlets under the cabinets. I like the uninterrupted look of the backsplash. What are your thoughts on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Under cabinet receptacles

It is a code requirement to have outlets above counter. If you do not want them in the backsplash, then do a plug old under the cabinet. A lot of people have done this in the forum. Task lighting sells one that can be mounted in an angle.

o

Yes that is what I was referring to. I am wanting to put the angled receptacles under the cabinet. Just wanted opinions from people who have done that to see if they like them.

o

Code stipulates the number and placement of GFCI receptacles in a kitchen, as well as the required receptacles per certain number of feet.

Legrand Tamper Resistant Plugmold 2000tr is very nice: attaches slimly to the cabinet at rear of wall, 3/4".

But, it doesn't come with GFCI, which, at least in my case, apparently means you have to have under cabinet "outlet receptacles", the first being the GFCI, the rest on the circuit being regular outlet receptacles, unless your electrician agrees to figuring out how to use more Legrand for you after that run's GFCI under cabinet outlet box. I find the under cabinet outlet boxes aesthetically offensive, save the needed GFCI. I encourage you and your DH to take some time and research your look.

Add the plugmold to good quality under cabinet lighting and you're talking a substantial amount of money. I'd suggest investigating the new Legrand under cabinet lights/plugmold in one, which allows I Pad, slim line tech gadgets attachments to the bar. Pretty nifty with good light, electricity and function at your fingertips. Function meets form/aesthetics in one. GL.

This post was edited by SparklingWater on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 22:20

o

I thought about doing that but the one thing that steered me away was that we keep our toaster oven & coffee pot on counter plugged in at all times. I didn't want to see the cord to these going up the wall behind them. I figure the appliances will cover the outlet anyway.

If you don't keep anything plugged in on a regular basis though, I like the plugmold idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here