Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgs7691

BS Question - Calling all Grazia Rixi owners (and fans, and deale

jgs7691
12 years ago

Hello -- we're down to the VERY LAST item in the kitchen -- the backsplash!!

Thanks to the helpful advice of many on this forum, and the benefit of living with the (almost) finished kitchen for over a month, we are happily decided on a simple Grazia Rixi Crema subway (2 1/2" x 5") running bond backsplash. I know, not adventurous, but I've decided that my favorite thing about the new kitchen is the calming, "zen" feeling I get from the simple but classic elements, and I don't want to add anything busy to the backsplash that would end up fighting that "zen" feeling. (Plus, I love how the slight "sparkle" of the Rixi picks up the sparkle of my Zodiaq Nutmeg counters!)

So, Rixi it is!

Anyway, my tile guy just came out to measure, and is ordering tile tomorrow (which will come in on Thursday, and will be installed on Saturday and Sunday.) I just need help with the last two questions:

1) How did you end the backsplash runs -- 1/2 x 10 inch bullnose molding or 5" quarter round? (Or another way?)

2) If you ordered Crema, what color grout did you choose, and would you make the same choice again?

3) Ok, I know I said two questions, but -- do you have any pictures to share?

Thanks as always, and best regards -- wish I could invite every one of you over for a drink once we are completely finished!!

Comments (24)

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Rixi Crema tiles with matching grout

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Ellendi -- I remembered that you were ordering the Rixi Crema and was hoping that you would see this post. Your backsplash looks great!

Do you remember the name of the grout color (or brand) that matched the Crema?

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Sorry. The tile salesman at the showroom who recommended the tile matched it up for us. I can ask my husband if he saved this info some where. (He is great with keeping records)

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, ellendi!

• stannley
    12 years ago

Here's a photo of how we installed our Grazia Rixi....great choice by the way, jgs! We used the bullnose to finish the edge and it looks fantastic. This photo is 'before grout', but we used a tan color product from Lowe's that is complementary. Good luck!

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    12 years ago

stannley and amy -- thanks for sharing your beautiful backsplashes and advice.

Amy, is your Rixi in the Crema color?

Stannley -- is the yellowish cast in the picture from lighting or a reflection, or do you find that the tile has a yellowish undertone? (I seem to recall from other posts that you also used Crema, right?)

Thanks, again!!

• clergychick
    12 years ago

jgs -- yes, my field tiles are crema. The decos are dore.

HTH -- Amy

• stannley
    12 years ago

The yellow is a combination of inadequate lighting in the area, and a lousy cell phone photo. It's really creamy (or Crema) in real life. I could see how as Amy indicated that you could get a grey cast to it with a lighter grout. We like the way it looked without grout so we went with something darker. I can take a better photo tonight....Either way I think you'll be thrilled!

• vitamins
    12 years ago

I, too, used Grazia Rixi in the Crema color and am very happy with it. We went with a grout as near to the color of tile as we could and I believe it was called Bone. The grout was a special kind (I think it had sealer already in it) and I have the name of it at home as the tile setter left us the bag of leftover grout.

My backsplash:

From Backsplash

• ellendi
    12 years ago

jgs, all of the examples posted look different as far as color. Mine IRL is not a creamy white as you would think from the name Crema. To my eye. mine has a slight beige tone to it. It will depend on your lighting and your grout. Let's put it this way. This tile helped tie together an almost impossible situation for me. My cabinets are BM Dove White and my granite is a dark Giallo Ornamental. (You should not put a brown and white like these together! Live and learn. I had a white backsplash that I installed and had removed a day later because it looked terrible. This tile was the perfect transition from the white to the brown. So, it is IMO that it will work in your situation.)
    What I especially love about this tile is that it looks like a handmade tile with the slight irregular edges. That combined with the crackle finish, gives this "plain" tile lots of interest.

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all

Ellendi -- I am also hoping that the creamy tile will tie together the warm cherry cabinets and the cooler/taupey Zodiaq Nutmeg. I liked the Rixi Mandorla, too, but I think it might be too cool a cooler and stand in too stark a contrast to the warm wood.

Here's the kitchen so far. . .

{{!gwi}}

Still think the Crema is a good choice?

Thanks again to everyone!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

jgs, I revisited the Rixi site and I think the Mandorla might work better. Your counters seem to be a solid color. The resaon why the Crema works in my situation is because it plays off the creamish color that I have in my Giallo. How about getting as many samples of each and post here? In the photo, your unfinished walls look like they blend with your counters. Would you not want this "look" for your backsplash?

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Ellendi --

My counter isn't actually solid - far from it, it's very "speckled" like many of the quartzes. Here's the best picture I have right now. . . (looking at another backsplash option I was considering)

{{!gwi}}

I also like the mandorla, but I think the Crema works with the creamy speckles in the counter more. I think Mandorla would also be nice, but I do think (hope, pray) that the Crema would work as well or better. If there's any question in my mind once the tiles are here, I'll ask the installer to hold off while I get a sample of mandorla.

(I do have a sample board of the Rixi, which has both Crema and Mandorla, but it's hard to get the large board completely vertical in the backsplash area, so I can't see exactly how it will look with the UC lighting.

Thanks again.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Thanks for the close up. I think you will be OK with the Crema. For example, even if this counter gives the effect of a solid from a distance, there are many examples here of wood cabinets, white or cream backsplash and dark soapstone (Which can look like a solid) and these kitchens look great. As you say, the Crema will pick up on the cream speckles.
    Put the board sideways and take a picture so we can get the idea if you like. You will be fine. I understand what you are going through!

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, pardon the crappy cell phone shot, but here's the Grazia Rixi board next to my counter sample piece. The tiles to the right (4x4) are the Crema, and the subway (appearing vertically) to the left of the picture is the mandorla. You can barely see the difference, but I think this gives a slight taste of how the crema brings out the warm speckles of the Nutmeg Zodiaq.

{{!gwi}}

What do you think?

Thanks so much!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

My vote is to go with the Crema. It looks great!

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah!! Thanks for the advice -- we'll be going with Crema (which I am sure my tile guy would be happy to hear, since I already asked him to order it) and will use the 10" bullnose/pencil trim on the ends. I cannot WAIT to see it all come together, so that I can take my final "reveal" pics!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

WhooHooo!:)

• clergychick
    12 years ago

You're going to love it! -- Amy

• jgs7691
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again, all -- I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

• stannley
    12 years ago

Cheers to you jgs! I would never have heard of this product without GW. I'm pretty certain that ellendi was the first person who posted about it which led me to ultimately purchase this tile. Thanks ellendi, and welcome to the GR club, jgs!!

• ptamom
    12 years ago

The blue accents are lovely. It will be great!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Thanks stannley! Not sure if I was the first to post about GR , I learned about it from Greenwich Tile. But, I have gotten the word out many times. (LOL)