Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cabinets and Countertops

Posted by flevy (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 18:22

My kitchen is going to have 2 different cabinet colors. The perimeter will have off white with a black granite counter top. The island is grey with a mahogany top. My question is...is this to many finishes going on? Should I either get all off white cabinets or all black counter tops? My issue with the island is that it's just slightly bigger than 10x6. I can't find a single slab that big and if I use granite I have to have a seam.

These are the colors of the doors
Photobucket

and this is what the white looks like with the black

Photobucket

I don't have a picture of the grey with the mahogany top

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cabinets and Countertops

I am a bit OCD but loving this combo!
Very pretty!

o

I think it sounds nice, too. That's a pretty gray.

o

Looks beautiful and I have seen many kitchens with this many combos. My sister has two different granites plus a walnut top on her island and a separate bake station area in a different color and it looks great. Your colors are neutral so I think it can stand more variation in the colors. A layered look! Your kitchen is going to be beautiful!

o

How will the mahogany be finished? Are you staining it or using a conversion varnish?

Unstained Mahogany

Mahogany has a lot of pink in it, starts out light, and gets darker with age. Unstained, I think it's possibly the wrong color for your grey cabinets, and would choose all black over that option, even if it means a seam. WaLNUT might be a better look for you. This is Boos end grain walnut butcherblock.

o

I went to the kitchen showroom today and put it all together to the best of my ability.

The black in the picture is a piece of AB since I don't have a sample piece of my slab.

The floor on the bottom is american cherry and is the floor that will be in the whole house including the kitchen.

I tried a few samples. First up is American Cherry Wood top. This picture also has a piece of Q Arctic White.

Photobucket

This has a picture of a variety of different wood tops. One is Black Walnut and one is Black Sapele. I didn't like the dark piece on the left so I didn't pay attention to what it is.
Photobucket

Can I get some opinions? Cherry? Arctic White with a seam? One of the other woods?

Thanks so much for helping me pick!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here