Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light Rail Molding Supplier

Posted by bosdiyer (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 18:02

Hi All.
I'm having a really hard time finding a source for unfinished UCL light rail moldings. I'm trying to find something between 1.75 and 2" high and I could really use some sourcing help.
My preference would be hard maple, but at this point I'm willing to listen to all suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light Rail Molding Supplier

Your cabinet company would be the first place you should be shopping.

o

Barker cabinets sells them unfinished in all the types of wood they build cabinets in.

I think they are under millwork. If you want them unfinished though it seems like it would be pretty easy to buy the lumber and build them, they are pretty straightforward.

o

Thanks for the suggestions, but the light rails from my cabinet maker and Barker's millwork are just too blaahh and either too narrow or too wide. I'm hoping to find a company that makes them with a little style. Too much work is going into the project to stick a squared off piece of trim under the cabinet and call it a light rail.

o

Nice.

o

We used a triple-bead molding we got from Raw Doors for a light rail. They have some other light rail moldings also and carry a variety of woods. We placed 2 orders with them and the material was delivered promptly and packaged well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raw Doors

o

You might want to ponder the "one clown" scenario first before looking for something so ornate. When you overload on details, the eye stops seeing them. Everything can't be a star. There is a very good reason that most people put on rather plain light rail. It's reason for existance is utilitarian: to hide the lights. Focus on making the crown more decorative instead. That's where you get a bang for your buck. Not light rail.

o

I appreciate the suggestions. It looks like I'm going to have to customize a standard molding to my specs. I'm going to experiment on a sample, but here's what I'm planning (check the link below)
The cabinets are frameless, modified shaker, so I'm planning on rabbetting out a 1/2" x 1-1/4" section from the back of the molding and using it vertically.
Never a dull moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: moulding info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here