KAW Banana Zucchini Bread

Posted by lucas_tx (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 17:57

It's that time of year...

Who needs a backsplash anyway ;-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: KAW Banana Zucchini Bread

That looks great! I have an abundance of zucchini in my garden. Care to share your recipe?

o

I used to grow so much zucchini but decided that space wise, just too much of a hog and most times there are plenty of leftover.
I have a great cookbood - the Zucchini lover's cookbook with a lot of great recipes but your bread looks awesome!!

There is also the abandoned zucchini trick - take the baseball sized zucchini, wrap it in a towel, drop it at a neighbors, ring the doorbell and run - I was always amazed how I could check the garden at night and then in the morning the zucchini would have grown to an enormous size over night!

Lucas - that is a beautiful countertop and I can see lots of options to get you out of the ABB club! Your arch pulls look just like mine!

o

Thanks all. Interestingly, I fibbed a little, these weren't even zucchini, they are a Mexican squash called tatumi which is really yummy and I have really good luck with healthwise, but sometimes they do hide and get too big so this was a good way to use them up.

I'd share the recipe but honestly I kind of winged it. I started with the below but added some ground flax seed and used a little more whole wheat flour than this called for and less regular flour. Kind of using up what I had on hand. Tripled the recipe. Seemed to work fine. Put walnut in one loaf dark chocolate chips in another and both in the 3rd.. Added some nutmeg as well as the cinnamon. Used about 4 cups of squash for the three loaves, have no idea how that compares to the recipe but it seemed to work. A total of 3 bananas. Not too sweet, like it that way myself.

2 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 cup chocolate chips, raisins, dried fruit, nuts, or a mixture of any of these.

As for the backsplash don't have a good picture yet but the current contender is a gray 2x12" Ann Sacks glass tile, you can see it on the countertop in this picture.

o

I will hunt for that squash at market next week

I like the gray idea and was visualizing just that concept in your kitchen.

Thank you for the recipe!

o

Yum! I need to get to making some zucchini bread myself. I vowed not to plant zucchini this year since I wanted to focus on some other garden plants in my somewhat limited garden space. Yet somehow, I ended up with a volunteer zucchini plant! I saw it popping up and wasn't certain what type of squash it might be, so I let it grow and sure enough, I've already had more zucchini than I can handle. I think I need to try out a2gemini's zucchini abandoning trick. Maybe some kind neighbor will take in my excess zucchini and care for them. I've actually been really pleased with this volunteer plant; the zucchini has been the most delicious zucchini I've ever tasted, even the over large ones that definitely do grow massive overnight. Thanks for the inspiration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here