Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katybuggs

Help with Hickory Cabinets for Cabin

katybuggs
15 years ago

While in Lowes the other day I wandered through the kitchen displays and came across a kraftmaid Hickory Beadboard style kitchen. It struck me like a lightening bolt.. that kitchen belonged in my cabin. Or one like it. Not really my style but it just looks like it fits and I could be ok with it and my husband would love it. Does anyone have hickory beadboard or anything similar? I also looked at the Medallion Yukon door in hickory and liked that too.

My layout is finished, appliances are purchased and are white. The stove has a downdraft.

The cabin kitchen ceiling is cedar w a few knots and is low. I don't want to go all out rustic with logs or anything like that, just a nice comfortable cabin kitchen. The kd at Neil Kelly suggested rustic alder but I'm not sure, the hickory struck me as different and really trendy. We have a rain forrest behind us, a water and Mt Rainier view in front.

I'll have to wait for my seaside cottage style dream kitchen. We move full time into the cabin in November. My husband is putting in a boat house, maybe I'll put a little cottage kitchen in there ; )

Comments (13)

• sdionnemoore
    15 years ago

katybuggs, first let me say congrats. How exciting to have such wonderful views from your snug little cabin. Maybe you can invite all the GW members to your place for skiing. :)

Regarding hickory, I went for hickory cabinets because of their hardness. The striping is beautiful for such a rustic atmosphere as yours, though I went with a dark stain on my cabs which mimics a cherry color. Of course, there is more grain than cherry, but less than oak. I just got them about a month ago and they're still packed because we're not ready for them. They are beautiful though and HEAVY!

Sorry I couldn't offer you more than that. I went with Blue River Cabinetry, btw, they are a small, Amish owned place, so the craftsmenship is superb. I highly recommend them. They are custom.

• karencon
    15 years ago

I have a seaside home with honey spice hickory cabinets. You might want to consider how many grainy woods you are considering. My hickory has lots of grain and variation and I have red oak flooring. I like it but some may consider it too much busy grain in the room.This is a good view of the cabinets (wires now not in view)
    {{!gwi}}
    and this shows the floor

{{!gwi}}

• athomewith3
    15 years ago

Katybugs, okay, first of all i just told DH yesterday that i am still waiting for my dream home cottage on the beach. I would have loved to have done a cottage kitchen in hindsight but really discoverd my true love for the cottage look after our kitchen was complete, bummer!! If you do get your cottage kitchen i would love to see it, how fun.

Just as karencon, i have a hickory in a spice finish so although there is variation to our cabinets the darker the stain the less apparent the variance becomes. The beadboard hickory kitchen sounds lovely. I believe i have seen a modeled kitchen that fits your description at home depot and it would be right at home in your cabin. I also went for hickory for it's hardness and let me tell you this would is strong and heavy. Good luck and hopefully someone will be able to show you the sample kitchen you are after.

close up of wood:

• oruboris
    15 years ago

I have the kraftmaid hickory beadboard for the desk area in the new house.

I really love it. My only complaint is that the drawer fronts are slab, not 5 peice, which would give it a much more old fashioned feel in keeping with the beadboard.

The drawer hardware is blum tandem, which is great, but the doors aren't soft close-- that's OK: it's an easy DIY.

My kraftmaid order through HD arrived on time [6 week wait] and all the bits and pieces were as ordered. The hickory cabs are fine, but there is some damage to the finish on a couple of the other units, esp. the cherry [softer wood].

I wouldn't go with Kraftmaid for a whole kitchen. I perfer frameless [more space] kraftmaid is full frame, I like cabs that sit on legs [easier to tweak the plumbing and electric]; kraftmaid has an integral toekick.

Of course, Kraftmaid isn't the only maker of hickory cabs. If your concerns are like mine, you may want to keep shopping.

And the Kraftmaid hickory isn't especially rustic: there are companies out there that leave a lot more knotholes etc. if you like that sort of thing.

But if you don't mind [or even prefer] framed, the hickory bead board really is very, very lovely. And because hickory is so hard [harder than maple, much harder than oak] that I expect it will wear very well-- I've had hickory for about 6 years in my current kitchen, and it is literally like new. The tandem glides are amazing-- I can't get over how easy it is to take the doors in and out.

• katybuggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchens everyone, the hickory is gorgeous! Thank you for posting.

Karencon, I have those same outside doors with the same handles. I was thinking of painting the wood trim but after seeing yours with the cabinets nearby I think they look better stained and will leave them. Are you in the PNW? Your yard looks like mine, rain and all.

I'm still in the process of getting estimates. One from a local cabinet maker has not come in yet. He custom builds the frames and buys the doors. The other is from a local kitchen shop for the Medallion Yukon in natural, came in very reasonable but having an issue with a post where the peninsula goes. I am also considering Neil Kelly cabinets which has the whole 'green' thing going on and the price reflects it. Plus the KD has to travel 3 hours to measure, I have an appt with her to discuss design and the green aspect.

Now I'm considering the Kraftmaid but didn't think about the frameless aspect and toekick. I don't want a lot of knots as we have some knotting in the ceiling. HD has cabinets 10% off which is a bonus.

I will take a photo of the beadboard kitchen next time I'm at Lowes.

• kompy
    15 years ago

Kraftmaid does offer one rustic hickory doorstyle. With the indy dealers, it's called Durango. Beautiful door...but in the higher price group.

Showplace Wood Products (similar pricing as KM) offers rustic hickory, cherry and alder.

Google them.

• karencon
    15 years ago

katybuggs, we are in coastal RI, not the PNW. I guess it was rainy when those pictures were taken. I agree with athome about the darker stains minimizing the variation a bit. The picture is the hickory cabinet I got on ebay that was supposed to be honey spice but I don't think it is. See the difference in the stain/grain.
    {{!gwi}}

• katybuggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

karencon Wow, That is gorgeous! That is the variation in wood colors I'd like, maybe even more contrast. Your counter, sink and wood just all look beautiful together. The lighter copper faucet and darker sink looks fab, thanks for posting!

• claybabe
    15 years ago

My cousin did her cabin with rustic hickory, and it is stunningly beautiful. I can't recall which company, but I'll see if I can get photos and the name--it definitely wasn't Kraftmaid. I love hickory, especially rustic.

That said, Mom tells me the antique ice box I stole from her is hickory, no variation in color probably since it was from a time when that was available. I wouldn't have guessed hickory since I'm used to - and love - the rustic hickory.

Nice choice, I'll try to get photos.

• Becky2555
    9 years ago

I finally joined the forum after months and months of reading questions and ideas. Wondering how the hickory kitchen above turned out? You all sure did help lead me in the right direction - I ended up doing Kraftmaid's Amurst Hickory with Praline stain. I was after a shaker style with rustic "warm and cozy" feeling throughout the house. Never realized what I was undertaking but it's been fun. Would love to hear more about how the project above turned out, if it's not been completed yet... you can't go wrong with praline on hickory in my opinion. I went with a toffee granite and heated tile floors. (Stove is scheduled to deliver later this week and window treatments are next). Does anyone have ideas or guidance on window treatments? Maybe I'm in the wrong forum for that, if so maybe someone can point me in the right direction. (?)

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Becky, just wanted to say that I love your cabinets and granite selection. What a wonderful warm and cozy kitchen you have. As far as window treatments, try the Decorating forum. They also have a very talented group over there. Have you selected your backsplash yet?

• Becky2555
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, I have not been to that forum yet but I will surely check it out. I ended up going back to the granite folks and getting the 4" splash to match. I had visions of doing a tile design but when the floor was installed and the paint went up - I liked the look with the countertops and was afraid the tile backsplash would be too much. The matching against the paint is awesome. The stove and refrig were just delivered - I have a little issue to figure out now as the slide in stove is too tall - probably because of the heat istalled underneath it :(
    I just got a text from the builder and he's going to check that out for me. Fingers crossed. And, thanks for your compliments. My goal was "warm and cozy", and design isn't my strong suit. So when I say I relied on this website for a lot of direction... I really did. :)