Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So what would you do with this kitchen? More functional!

Posted by Pattyjill (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 17:57

I'm in the process of redesigning my kitchen. Its very awkward now in that there is too much space in between everything. I basically have a big square in the middle of my kitchen with not enough work space and a very small dining area. I do not have an eat in kitchen but use my dining area for most meals. I cannot extend the dining table so I'm removing a wall and replacing with a steel beam (yes bearing wall). I live on the coast and have a beautiful view so my kitchen is on the 2nd floor. I definately want to remove the peninsula and replace with an island. I do not want an island cooktop or downdraft system as I've been down that road already.

The wall behind the refrig is the wall that will be coming down.

I will try to load up a few pix but not sure I know what I'm doing. LOL

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So what would you do with this kitchen? More functional!

picture

o

more pix

sorry don't know how to get them all posted at once

o

cooktop on peninsula

o

view from kitchen

o

refrig wall which will be removed to open the room up

o

Can you post a layout that shows dimensions and what the adjoining rooms are?

o

I don't see an exhaust hood in the photos you posted. How are you handling that?

o

numbersjunkie, yes i would love to do that but not sure how. any suggestions on software?

Alex, I have a downdraft...and hate it! Breaks all the time and does not do its job. One reason I'm remodeling.

Thanks.

o

I use the ikea kitchen planner but it definitely has limitations and if you aren't going to use their cabinets there are better options out there. Google sketchup is one, and software by chief architect is another. I don't use either of those so I can't comment,on that. I'm sure if you do a search you will come up,with discussions on each. Or just do a pencil and paper sketch with measurements and take a picture of it. Once you post that I'm sure the layout gurus will be along to assist.

o

Just use graph paper for now while you are looking for software. I found graph paper and a black sharpie was the easiest. Take a photo of the paper and post it. If you post from an online account like photobucket, you can post as many photos as you want in the same post.

o

you can find graph paper online that you can print out to use.

be sure to post all measurements, doors, windows etc
be sure it is large enough and dark enough to be seen and read

pics -
use somewhere like photobucket, copy the html code of the pic and paste that code into your post; repeat into the same post for all of the pics you want us to see. you can type in 'notes' between them to identify the pics (like - 'this is the kitchen', 'this is the wall that we're taking down' etc

o

Thank you everyone. Have my grid paper and going to get the hubs to help me!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here