Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doonie_gw

Cheerful Sunny Kitchen with Old World & Traditional influences

doonie
13 years ago

I am finally posting my kitchen. We started in mid February and are just now finishing in August. Our location has been ideal for us and we intend on staying here in our "forever" home. We had already addressed the builder grade baths last year. Due to my GC's great work, I was inspired to transform my dark little kitchen into my dream kitchen. My kitchen was only 10 years old, but we figured we'd rather reno now and get 20 more years pleasure out of it.

I found gardenweb last fall and it has been a tremendous resource! Although I haven't asked a ton of questions, I have gotten all sorts of inspiration and information from all the wonderful posters. So, I want to give back a little by posting my kitchen.

The old kitchen was bound by the house and the only windows were at the far end by bay window eating area. There were lots of inconveniences topped by a poor layout that made it irksome to cook in. We had a small deep shelved pantry closet where things would get tumbled, jumbled and lost, so a large walkin pantry was high on my wish list.

This is a little of my old kitchen...

{{gwi:1554064}}

The only way to expand our 13' 9" wide kitchen was to elongate it. Well that would have made it really long and narrow and would not have improved the lack of natural light. That's when I came across Elizpiz's kitchen and her vault, the more I chewed on it, offered a great solution to bringing more natural light in. Of course there were other gorgeous kitchens that also helped my vision!

I wanted a sunny cheerful kitchen for my family. So, hopefully I have achieved this. (I still need to put some art on the walls, but that is taking time...)

THE DETAILS:

CabinetryPlain & Fancy vintage beaded inset, perimeter is wheat stain on cherry (low sheen) and the island is natural maple with a distressed chocolate glaze

Knobs & Pulls  Tob Knobs

Paint- Walls-BM Windham Cream & Trim-BM Linen White

Kitchen CountersÂSilestone Quartz Yellow Nile in leather finish semi bullnose edge 3 cm

Island CounterÂLeathered Antique Brown semi bullnose edge

Door and Drawer PullsÂTop Knobs, Square Pulls, Polished Chrome; ordered off the internet

Main SinkÂBlanco Café Brown undermount Performa Equal bowl (33 by 20 and 10 inches deep)

Soap Dispensors  Grohe Deluxe ORB 15 oz capacity

Island SinkÂBlanco Café Brown undermount Precis Large Bowl (20 ¾ by 18)

Faucets  Grohe Bridgeford Dual Spray Pulldown in ORB

RefrigeratorÂGE Monogram 48" side by side built in (fresh food 17.56 cu ft & freezer 12.3 cu ft)

DishwasherÂAsko fully integrated (D5233XXLFI)

Microwave DrawerÂSharp 24"

Wall Ovens  GE Monogram 30" Professional Electric Convection Double Wall Ovens

Hood Kitchen Aid insert

Rangetop  Wolf gas six sealed burners

BacksplashÂBrittany & Coggs Decorative tiles with Winchester Field Tile (maize & peridot colors)

Grout  Custom Sanded Antique White

Flooring-Florida Tile Chiseled Edge Travertine in Modular pattern & Picasso Color

Kitchen Rugs  Paradise Indoor/Outdoor Polypropylene rugs for the sink & oven area

Island Pendants LBL lighting Ruffle in Latte with ORB

Breakfast Table Pendant Niermann Weeks 12 light Italian Chandelier in Venetian Silver Leaf finish

Air Switches for Insinkerator Disposals both sinks in ORB

Undercabinet lighting LED

Plugmold undercabinet

Kitchen Table  from Antique Tables Made Daily. Irish immigrant table in lightly distressed handplaned maple finish with extra thick top

Chairs  Shaker Windsor chairs in black from Antique Tables Made Daily, desk chair Pottery Barn Andros Bistro Chair with red cushion.

Desk Chair  Pottery Barn Andros Bistro Chair with Cherry Red Cushion

Speakers- Moderno

TV- Samsung 46" 1080p LED TV

{{gwi:1939969}}

{{gwi:1939970}}

{{gwi:1939971}}

{{gwi:1939972}}

{{gwi:1934455}}

{{gwi:1939973}}

{{gwi:1939974}}

{{gwi:1620787}}

{{gwi:1939975}}

Comments (62)

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That's amazing. The flooring and the tile backsplash make a wonderful companion to the lovely cabinets. I admire all of the detail work on those cabinets. That ceiling is also wonderful.

Enjoy!

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eliz, I am glad you got to see the finished product. Thank you for all of your input. We have 3 layers of light for the vaulted area: the ceiling lights (on dimmers), up lights on the cross beams, and the chandy (on dimmers). As you know, it's hard to capture the feeling of a very 3d space in a 2d format. I am thrilled to be back cookinig!!

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgot to post my favorite organizational thing...my walkin pantry. Hurray!! (Thanks Buehl and Rhome!!)Also ended up putting my toaster oven and coffee pot in there on a corian counter, to help declutter the counters. All food stuffs are in here.{{gwi:1939976}}

{{gwi:1939977}}

{{gwi:1939978}}

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

It's beautiful and yes, so cheerful!! Enjoy!! I love your backsplash.

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

Doonie - I was so excited to see your post and it was like Christmas getting to open your pictures! In fact, I was so excited anticipating the reveal pictures that I had to go pour another cup of coffee and get my kids all set up in an activity to keep them busy. Then, I could open and enjoy. Wow, so inspiring. There are so many things I love, but I have to say the Niermann Weeks chandy is so amazing in your space. It really sets off the ceiling, which is fabulous. I love the layered lighting, I'm wondering about the uplighting on the beams --- how did you do that? Also, I have the same pantry as your before space. I am so looking forward to that "after." How do you like having the coffee pot in there?

Of course I also love your tiles, they are stunning and so cheery.

I'm so thrilled for you. Your space is gorgeous and I think it is awesome that you'll get to really enjoy it now. We remodeled our previous kitchen shortly before moving - the house sold quickly, but we always regretted waiting until the last minute to do the project and vowed next time we'd enjoy it for longer.

Congratulations and enjoy! Rachel

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Doonie - Thanks so much for doing the full post - I loved seeing your backsplash in the back splash discussion - stumming and completely unique - and was craving the entire kitchen. You really pulled off the two different counters well a completely natural look in your kitchen - I can only imagine how amazing the leathered brown counter is in person. Congratulations.

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Your new kitchen looks so huge. Did you add on to your house?? For the vaulted ceiling, did you bust through the roof?? Loved the backsplash when I saw it before-it's so elegant, yet softly serene and I'm loving the yellow you chose. Seeing the entire kitchen-WOW!!!! What an amazing space. Congratulations.

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rachel, I am not sure on the specifics on the uplighting and it doesn't photograph very well, but it's a gentle light perfect for evening. There is a dim light on each of the beams and boy did I spend many sleepless nights over the ceiling/beam/chandy combo. I was seriously worried about the cheesy factor. I was so relieved it turned out even better than I had hoped. As far as the pantry, I decided at the last minute to put the coffee pot and toaster in there because it looked so junky out on my counter against the backsplash. It was definitely the right decision. I love having all my coffee stuff there handy. There's nothing like an organized pantry!! Good luck to you and keep me posted!

sparklekitty, it was a real endeavor getting that center island counter. I had to change fabricators after the first one broke 2 slabs. It took forever. For those who are curious, the leathered granite worked like a charm when I kneaded out my dough for some baked Dim Sum Buns this past weekend. It was such a decadent pleasure to use that surface and I was able to cook everything at once with double ovens!

chris, we added about 500 sq ft to our house. We had project creep and in addition to the kitchen, added a mudroom, formal laundry room (I had a tiny closet before..that's spec builders for ya!), a powder room (for the pool people), and a vaulted covered porch. We tied into the existing roofline with the kitchen vault and were able to double the size of an upstairs bedroom closet that abuts the vault. I'll link the outside portion below.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

So... let me get this straight... you got that gorgeous kitchen with the ceilings and backsplash to die for, a new bathroom, laundry room, mudroom, porch AND also got more closet space upstairs at the same time?
    Color me a bright shade of green! Maybe in my next life, lol...

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dianalo, Yes. It's a fact. For a girl with midwestern penny pinching sensibilities, I feel guiltily glutinous, like the hippo in the tutu, but I am dancing happily around the new space and especially stoked that the bills are ending!

And thank you for all who have taken the time to post. It means more to me than I can express!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I don't know what I can add...It's wonderful. Good use of your space for a very functional layout. The chandelier and ceiling are amazing. I like the oven at an angle...Interesting and practical! And nice pantry. :-)

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Thanks for the additional pics. The outside is as lovely as the inside.

Also for the info regarding the amount of add on. I kept trying to figure out how you went from the old kitchen to the new with the same space and couldn't figure it out. So, not only did you get a bigger kitchen space, but all those other great spaces. I'm also green but very happy for you. Dance away!!!

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

I can't believe it's the same space! Your old kitchen was fine, but your new kitchen is wow! I love your backsplash and your hood mantel. And love your prep and cleaning zones. And absolutely covet your pantry. Congratulations!

• rjr220
    13 years ago

I was at the beach yesterday and kept trying to post but my internet was really spotty. Guess it's a sign of a true TKO -- at the beach and still looking on GW . . . .

Your kitchen is so spot on beautiful, from the floor to the counter to the ceiling. I love the spots on the granite -- your chandy, goodness.

You did a marvelous job. I had a question last night, but derned if I can remember it now that I am at home. Congrats!

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pickle, thanks for the compliments. The functionality of cooking in this remodel is such a breath of fresh air. My DH and kids can man the clean up zone, while I stay over in front of the prep zone. Maybe johnliu did have a point about people staying out of his work zone....I would never have imagined how wonderful it is!

rjr220, it's only fellow GWers that really get this TKO. I have it on my mobile phone. My son knows some of your web names and asks if so and so posted and what they are up to. (judydel is one he remembers...thanks for all of the flooring help!) Funny! That antique brown granite isn't quite as spotty as the photo shows. The flash picked up on the mica in it. It's actually a quieter gentler calmer stone, but still with interest. Thanks so much!

• Laurie
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting the rest of your kitchen Doonie! I can't get enough of that backsplash, and seeing the other parts of it is wonderful. Love your floor too. Great job overall!

• rexroat
    13 years ago

Your kitchen looks great!
    Thanks for all the photos inside your cabinets! I'm new to GW and love looking at the pictures, but wonder "what did they put where...what's inside the cabinets?"
    Would you mind telling me the dimensions of your pantry? Are you able to keep all foodstuff in there, reserving cupboards and cabinets for pots, pans, dishes, glasses, etc?
    Thanks! rexroat

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sivyleah, Thanks! I can hardly wait to see your Jerusalem sand ceasarstone counters!

rexroat, this forum has been an awesome resource. Did you find the search box at the bottom of the page? A lot of questions have been asked before and there is so much to gather from this site. My pantry was an odd shape. We tried to utilize every bit of dead space behind the double ovens. I got my shelving info from rhome & beuhl. From front to back, the depth of my pantry is 4 1/2 feet. The width is hard to tell because I have several different walls. We used blue tape to tape off the shelves in order to visualize how much floor space we would actually have. This is what it looked like before shelving (I hope this isn't info overload...)
    Entryway

To the left:

Straight ahead

To the right of straight ahead:

And to the far right:

• sochi
    13 years ago

Doonie - that is a great kitchen, wow, well done. Congratulations! What a transformation. There is so much to love, but I esp. love the lighting, the ceiling, the island with the rounded end for seating... . I could go on. Enjoy!

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sochi, thanks. I have been wondering about you and your center island. Maybe a regular cabinet base with curved top would work well for you? You can't beat having that center island prep space. My aisles are 38" to 42", which seems to be plenty spacious and the narrow part of the island is actually only 27". It's a great work space.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I immediately noticed your use of curved lines, starting with the hanging lights. Lots to look at and lots to cheer!

• rexroat
    13 years ago

Doonie-
    I've found using Google with 'gardenweb*' in the search bar the easiest way to search the forum so far. But thanks for the tip! rexroat

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

I'm entranced by the curves in your kitchen. The shape of the island, the arched opening over the sink, your faucets, your chandelier... lovely!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Doonie, it looks great! Even in the pictures there's just so much more life with all that sunlight.

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

eastbaymom, Thankyou! It is a very calming space for me. I still need to put up some artwork, but that will come...

plllog, I am glad you like it. I keep thinking about all the time you put into creating your gorgeous tile work counters!

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Doonie - meant to ask - where did you end up getting the chandy from?

Eliz

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eliz, I ended up having to go through a lighting store, American Lighting, despite all my best efforts to eliminate middle persons. But....I really like it!

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

I love your Florida Tile Chiseled Edge Travertine in Modular pattern & Picasso Color kitchen floor! I am saving that picture for when I do my floor.

I love the bright happy warm kitchen you created and I especially love that gorgeous pantry closet!

Your backsplash is beautiful especially above the range. Thanks for sharing.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Excellent! When the page was uploading for me, I spotted right away that your #1 problem was lack of natural light. Because I have the same problem! Your layout really brought the windows into your kitchen space! Lovely. And love love love your ceiling/chandelier. Enjoy!

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lynn2006...I love the ease of the rustic looking travertine. We sealed the floor twice. Thanks for your words!

sabjimata, Exactly. The old kitchen was claustrophobic. The only over head lights were 2 floods at the sink, the two center island lights (which I ended up putting 100W bulbs in in order to see, but then they would blind you if you looked directly at them), and the dragonfly light over the table. Also, although I used my island all of the time, the corner range was opposite from the sink, creating a barrier island. I had the OTR microwave, so there was cross traffic in that zone too and who wants to reach across a lit burner to access the microwave. The sink was on the penninsula and was separated from the dishwaser by a corner cabinet lazy susan. There wasn't enough room to set dirty dishes on the right side of the sink and when the dishwasher was open, there was no room for the drying person. We had about 10 inches of depth for the pennisula counter eating/seating. The pantry was a tiny disorganized closet. It was a very uncomfortable kitchen.

I feel so blessed to have this wonderful new space! And now I can read again in the kitchen with my presbyopic eyes! Thanks for the compliments!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

WOW - what a transformation. I love, love, love the vaulted ceiling and the chandelier. Your kitchen came out gorgeous - brighter, warmer and inviting. Enjoy.

• judydel
    13 years ago

Doonie!!! I haven't been on in a couple of months and I see you've had your reveal and I missed it! I can't see any of the photos except the ones from your pantry. Did you take down the photos??

• vladik
    13 years ago

Oh nooo. I can't see either! Would love to see your pics!

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

Doonie, can you tell us how to find the photos? I'd love toe see you beautiful kitchen too.

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

All the pics are gone and the photobucket album is blank, Doonie! Waaaaaaaaaaa we wanna see!!!!!

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry guys...I fixed the link and it should be running now.

Here are some photos:

{{gwi:1939984}}

{{gwi:1554066}}

{{gwi:1785960}}

{{gwi:1673428}}

{{gwi:1939985}}

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

ohmygosh I love that ceiling. Doonie, that is jaw-dropping gorgeous. Thanks for the photos.

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

Wow! The before kitchen was okay looking but the after is fabulous. I love what you did with the ceiling, it just soars!

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

newcastlemom & happyladi,

Thanks for your comments. I think I had a case of post kitchen completion blues.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

My word... that ceiling with those high windows is something spectacular! I would LOVE to live with that!!

• gigib_08
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Love your floors and that ceiling, Amazing! How stunning! You made some great choices!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Looks like a space that can get down to the business of cooking and yet preside as a meeting or eating space and a place to see the world outside. Am very impressed with the combination of materials, from rough hewn to traditional to sparkly to mod. What an interesting and happy combination you have worked. There's a strong personality underlying it all--I assume it's you, yes? And all that happy light!

Don't forget to go back to the rest of the house once in a while--I suspect that people spend a lot of time under that ceiling.

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

florantha, now that you said it, yes, that is my personality behind it all. My GC came up with the cabinet configuration, but all the material choices I made on my own. I provided my GC with a list of all my wants for the kitchen and he was able to configure the cabinets around that. (Gardenweb was a tremendous asset in figuring out my list!)

We are loving our new space, and you are right, it's awfully hard to leave it!

• judydel
    13 years ago

DOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just saw your photos for the first time.

WOWSAWOWSAWOWSAWOWSAWOWSAWOWSA - that's all I have to say!

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Judydel! I am in love with my floor and I only knew about it from your beautiful kitchen. Thank you for all of your help with the flooring! I love it!

• judydel
    13 years ago

Okay I've composed myself and now maybe I can gather my thoughts and try and express how much I LOVE YOUR KITCHEN!

I drooled over your 114 photos and should have been taking notes as I went along so I could remember all of the many details that have me gaga.

First of all, that view into your kitchen through the archway is magnificent. Well planned. I can tell so much was well planned and so thought out. Kudos to you and your team of wizards that created this dream kitchen.

The back splash came out fantastic! We haven't done ours yet but I still have my eye on that manufacturer (because of you) and I know I have a photo of it and the name of it on the desk top of my other computer to remind me when we're ready. The colors of the backsplash, cabinets (oooooh the cabinets are such a gorgeous color!) counters and flooring go so very well together. Love the depth and warmth of colors! And your pendants are stunning. I love the color and texture of the glass. Again they go so well with everything else you picked . . . blending into this warm, inviting blend of kitchen happiness.

Now that chandelier . . . I'm mad at you!!!!
    I didn't see that one when I was fervently searching for my perfect chandy. NOW I WANT THAT ONE!!!! Mine just has lost it's appeal. Yours would be perfect in my space. If you get tired of it and want to switch on and off with mine I'd be very open to the idea, lol. Seriously, it is just lovely. The view looking up is especially lovely. I bet you're in heaven.

What have I forgot to gush about in this moment of bliss. Oh, you're pantry came out so fantastic . . . so functional too. I love having my pantry goods on not so deep shelves so things don't get lost in the back. It looks like your shelves are just right . . . you can fit so much. Is that where you keep your coffee maker and other small appliances? Do you use them from the pantry?

Are you loving cooking in your new kitchen? It looks functional and organized in addition to being beautiful.

Oh and the ceiling . . . wow. You and Eliz certainly know how to treat a ceiling!! I love the architectural design of the whole thing!! It's amazing really. The bead boarding is a perfect touch. The color is perfect. I'm so happy for you and your family. Now live a long, long life, cook lots of incredible meals and enjoy plenty of wonderful moments that create fabulous memories.

Oh, and I love the floors (wink).

• judydel
    13 years ago

Ya know . . . pretty views during everyday moments really make me smile. Your desk overlooking that pretty view is exactly the kind of placement that would make my heart sing.

Oh and is that a flat screen TV? Is there anything that you didn't think of? What's nice is you seem to have gotten it all but it isn't a hit you in the face overdone kind of effect . . . it just feels right : )

• judydel
    13 years ago

Hummmmm maybe I can buy the chandy for my dining room. The one in our dining room off the kitchen is 22 years old and wan't that great when I bought it. Would you mind sharing the details? I really am in love with it. Funny, I looked for so long for JUST THAT CHANDY and couldn't find it at the time. But that's the one I had in my mind . . . I'm so glad you found it : )

• calimama
    13 years ago

doonie! love love LOVE your kitchen! especially like your little veggie tiles! I love a bit of whimsy in an elegant space, and you have done that. Love it!

• doonie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Judydel, Thanks for all the kind words. We had several couples over last night, all non TKO's. The company was great, but no real
    kitchen talk. Thank goodness for all of you awesome GWers who have posted kitchens before mine and all of you who take the time to give
    such positive feedback!

We use the toaster oven and coffee pot in the pantry. It works great for us that way. The toaster oven is fairly large and would have taken up way too much counter room in the kitchen.

I fell in love with the Chandelier when I saw in in Willowdecor's post/blog. It is a Niermann Weeks Italian Chandelier. There
    are 2 sizes. I've got the larger one. It comes in a standard whitish antiqued finish, but I went with the Venetian Silver Leaf,
    which is actually a soft silver/gold color. Here's the specs..

9 light Italian Chandelier Niermann Weeks
    27â wide & 34â tall = 360W

12 light Italian Chandelier
    32â wide & 43â tall = 480W

Currey & Company makes a very similar Chandelier for less, but then when you try and change from the standard finish, the price goes up
    substantially. So I just went back to the Niermann Weeks.