Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

Can I please see your 36' wood hood?

annab6
15 years ago

I met with the KD again today and there is a way for me to have my second oven but that means a 30" range instead of 36" and a 36" hood instead of 42" which would allow us to fit a microwave into a wall cabinet.

The kitchen is about 15' x 15'. I still want a wood hood that "makes a statement". Would love to see pictures and also links to browse for more ideas.

Comments (15)

• jayjay_teacher
    15 years ago

My range is 30" and my hood is 36". Both of the corbels on each side are spice pull outs. I believe it is a little higher than most, but my husband is tall so it works out good for us. I am waiting on tile to do my backsplash. Hope this helps.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

my wood hood is 36" but it doesn't make a statement. we wanted one that would just kind of disappear into the surrounding cabinetry. HTH

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks jayjay and edlakin, do you feel that you have enough room there between the two upper cabinets on either side of the range or does it feel a bit crowded? I currently have a 30" range but don't have any upper cabs so close to it.

(somehow the title got messed up again and became 36' instead of 36" although I can almost swear I typed it right)

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    15 years ago

Hi:

Our stove is 30", the hood 36", and the cabinets above/wooden cover is 60". Each side of the hood is flanked with an open shelf that holds cook books (not shown in photo). I don't think it feels crowded at all, but I tried to alleviate that by having the open shelves be the same size as the hood (not lower, like I often see people do when they have cabinets that flank their hood).

{{!gwi}}

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Like edlakin, we didn't want a hood which screamed "LOOK AT ME!" but I did want some presence. I love love love the way it turned out. Caveat: while it is the recommended height and it covers the entire cooktop, it would absolutely be a problem for tall people. I'm only 5'5", and it's close for me. My husband is taller than I (5'9") but he's never beaned himself and it's unlikely he will -- he's accustomed to the hood's height.

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks melle_sacto and rmkitchen, it is so interesting to see how many different variations are out there! No wonder it is so hard to decide.

Rmkitcen, how tall are your upper cabinets, 36 or 42? When you say "covers the entire cooktop", aren't all wood hoods come in more or less the same depth and height unless it is a unique custom design or is the one you have deeper? My husband is 6' tall so it could be a problem. Also, what size is your rangetop? it looks smaller than the hood but i see 6 knobs so it must be 36"?

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rmkitchen, one more question, is the microwave cabinet 24" or 27" wide?

• jayjay_teacher
    15 years ago

Let me correct myself. It dawned on me this morning that I told you wrong. The entire width of my hood is 42 inches. My VAH is 30 inches like my stove. My cabinet maker and I discussed a 30 inch or a 36 inch VAH, but I do not cook a lot and we were tight on room so I went with a 30 inch VAH. The entire width of the hood is 42, but it could very easily be 30 or 36 inches. Mine went to 42 because of the spice pullouts. You could get the same look by just leaving out the pullouts. Sorry I told you wrong, but maybe you can get an idea.

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks jayjay, why did the cabinet maker think you would need a 36" VAH? I cook often and use multiple burners at once, would it be an issue?

• jayjay_teacher
    15 years ago

It seems that many people, especially those that cook a lot, get a hood wider than their stove. My cabinet maker was a lady who happens to cook a lot on a professional style stove. I do not cook very much so we decided that 30 inches would work for me. You might want a hood that is a little wider than your stove if you cook much. That is a question you might want to ask the cooking experts on the forum. It might also depend upon the type of cooking that you do.

I will say that nearly everyone who sees my new kitchen comments on how they like the hood. It will be another month before I get the backsplash and that will probably change the way it looks.

I forgot to address the issue of space. I believe my hood may be higher than some so crowding is not an issue. I measured and I have 25" from the counter to the corbels and 31" to the arch going across the VAH. My husband is 6'3" so he likes the hood being high.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Good Morning annab6!

Well, yes, our cooktop is 36" and our insert is 33" inches, and you're right, the wood hood itself is 42" wide and 25" deep to accommodate my gew-gaw wishes (the mouldings). I only remembered the 33" insert part!

The wood portion of our hood, rather, the lower portion is built out more than is required by the insert so as to, again, accommodate my wishes. The bottom of the wood hood is 30" above the (standard height) countertop. I love it!!!

Our upper cabinets are 47.5" high (we've nine foot ceilings) with considerable crown moulding above.

Our microwave is 24" wide and it's an over-the-counter model (so there's no shelf underneath it -- it's screwed into the support above).

As jayjay wrote, some people get hoods considerably wider than their cooktops: this was something we investigated because my husband really likes to cook, esp. over high-heat, e.g., lots of stir-fry. With the kind, smart and patient owner of the local mom-and-pop shop where we purchased the bulk of our appliances we decided it would be unnecessary and overkill. Ours is a high BTU cooktop but with the 900 cfm vent we just wouldn't need anything wider. And we like the storage we souldn't have if we'd had a wider hood!

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks rmkitchen, it looks to me that melle_sacto's is also 42" wide, judging by the fact that the cabinets above are 60". The insert size is definitely something to think about.

Does anyone else besides edlakin have a 36-inch one?

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    15 years ago

Hi annab6:

I can see why it looks like our hood is larger than 36"; we purchased a 36" wide Vent-a-Hood but the surround is actually a little wider, maybe four inches, due to how it was built. The remaining width is the two small open shelves on both sides so the total width of the wooden hood surround/shelves is equal to the width of the cabinet above.

Hopefully you'll get some more responses with hood surrounds that are closer to the dimensions you're requesting.

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

Anyone with a 36" wood hood cover?

• mdmc
    15 years ago

Here's mine. Stove is 30" Hood is 36"